Insomnium - Above The Weeping World Review

zonex

May 21, 2006
I'm writting this as i am listen through their new cd! My first ever cd-review so dont bash me for not knowing expressions and having problems describing it with musical terms :lol: just want to share how great this album is

[The Gale 2:41]
Starts out quite melancolic, you hear rain and a piano playing. It then switches into a very melodic epic guitarlead with double bass druming. Very awesome!

[Mortal Share 3:59]
Fast melodic guitars. Kind of the same style as: Since the day it All Came Down (yes its great). The chorus slows down the tempo a little bit, with high pitches guitars in the background and great vocals of course! Later in the song it it slows down, and gets really heavy, vocals are just perfect. Great melodic guitar in the background. This could become a fav. song.

[Drawn To Black 6:00]
heavy riff, with more melodic guitars :headbang: starts of in a mid-tempo, and makes a switch to a faster tempo, works really great. great melodic bridge after the verse. slows down again, adds some accustics! :kickass: goes back to the verse, and after that a cool bridge with more accustics and melodic distortion guitars on top of it. This song has it all, tempo changes, accustics, great melodic leads. It is not a short song, lasting 6 minutes, but not a second is wasted. after about 4 minutes it stops and accustics is the only thing playing, a cool whisper by the lead singer. And then the hard distortion guitars hits you. Really slow tempo, and then double bass druming is added :OMG: Its a great heavy breakdown.

[Change Of Heart 4:30]
very cool start, accustics. Suddenly changes to blast beats and cool guitars (not dimmu borgir like blast beats! not so fast but still awesome :kickass: ) Im at song 4 and im already impressed with the melodic leads so far. its quite impressive. Not a single moment where u think "okay this is alittle weak". it has more accustic parts, and then a really epic chorus or bridge, im confused :D so much to type :p
Great riff in the verse, dont really know how to descripe it :p

[At The Gates Of Sleep 7:05]
Another guitar only start. adding vocals and another melodic guitar layer. slows down to a break, and a hard low picthed riff hits you straight in the face. then adding some melodic high picthed guitars, before moving to the verse. slows down again after the chorus to the intro guitars. wow, this is great, they add hard heavy guitars and keep the intro guitars high pitched with distortion. chorus contains mid-tempo high pitched melodic guitars and really straight in your face vocals. its great. goes slow afterwards, to some accustics (or guitar without distortion, i dont know :lol: ) bass is also playing, gives it a very full sound. Then goes to a really epic feel slow pased melodic part. I believe im hearing some background keyboards :kickass: Another long song, without getting bored :)

[The Killjoy 5:22]
hehe again, great start, with some cool guitar. Then the verse starts, i dont really like the start of the verse, has some breaks, its cool with something different, but i dont think it sounds too cool. Then getting rid of the break, sounding really awesome now! the chorus has melodic guitars and a fast tempo druming, then going back to the starting melodic guitars. another verse, again first with the breaks in it, then without them. a C-piece - a good change from the other. OH MY GOD, a solo is being played now :worship: , not very long but very very good! not sure if it would be called a solo or a lead, whatever its great. song slows down, high picthed guitars and good bass play, to give a full sound. another great song :)

[Last Statement 7:32]
awesome riff at start. some great melodic leads. breaks down to whispers and melodic guitars, then adds low pitched guitars, sounds mindblowing. slows down a bit and gets very heavy again. too much to descripe.. another slowdown, bass and accustics playing, adding melodic clean guitar. Adding a solo now! very melodic, not very fast, but fits perfect in the song.

[Devoid Of Caring 5:40]
this is not the greatest riff in the verse, nothing extra ordinary, still sounds good though :) chorus is a slow tempo, with some accustics in the background, and some very melodic guitarwork. slows down. some very atmospheric guitars if u can call it that. song fades out, and very amtospheric keyboards ends the song.

[In The Groves Of Death 10:07]
Last song and a long one. Accustics start it off, with harmonic keyboards. Bass and drum is added, and then low picthed guitars to give it a very full sound. Now some melodic guitars are added. There are quite a bit of slow melodic leads, and tempo switches in the drums. so far so good :kickass:
at 4:30 it slows down completely. accustics take over, bass added, then drums and clean guitars. very beautyful and has a somewhat peaceful feel to it. lasts 1½ minutes, then it it becomes quite heavy still maintaining a melodic lead. for a 10 minute song, this really is not boring at all. there are many unexpected small breaks and changes in the lead guitars. alot of very melodic leads, and some beautyfull accustics. at 8 minutes a solo starts playing, slow and very melodic with a fast part. after that the music stops, and a guitar can be heard very low, slowly increasing in volume. now the rain from track 1 starts pouring down again. quite melancolic, fits very well with the album title in my opinion. The guitars die out, and only the rain is left.

Insomnium - Above the Weeping World:

Wow, what an album. After only 1 listen through the album, the whole sensation of the rain and melancoly is still stuck in me. It was at no time boring to listen to it, had plenty of suprises and most of all, some very melodic guitars, without overdoing it nor forgetting about anything else. A very solid release and already i think this will become my favourite Insomnium album. The song im longing to listen to the most right now, would be mortal share. Also the last song is still stuck in my head.

If i should give it a grade from 1-10 id say 8,5/10..
This is my first listen so i'm sure there are plenty of things i missed and wont notice till i listen through it again, and trust me i will!

Hope this was a little bit interesting to read. My advice, Buy the album as soon as its out!

I heard the song with the music video about a week ago, and I was really disappointed. I've honestly never heard something so generic.