Instrumental albums: Notable examples and the discrepancies between in-crowd and out-crowd reception

Onder

Apr 10, 2006
New Chasm.

Does it kick a butt or two?

Can death metal be substantial enough not to include vokills?

What sebgenres are more fitting to omit teh growls?

Go.

The problem with instrumental albums is that heavy metal composition has gone to shit since the early 90s so while highly talented songwriters like Lars Ulrich can get away with nine minute instrumental tracks and might have been able to create a passable instrumental metal album should they have so desired, that time is certainly gone now.

A lot of stoner/psych type stuff can be great without vocals. Earthless, for instance. A step backwards adding a vocalist on their new album, IMO.

I’ve only heard half of the new The Chasm, but it doesn’t seem to approach the greatness of their best instrumental tracks (Spectral Sons of the Mictlan, Deathcult Arrival, Procession to the Infraworld, Callous Spectre/Vehement Opposition) from past albums. But obviously I need to spend more time with it.

Instrumental albums are absolutely fine imo, even in extreme metal if they’re done correctly. Even if I do love extreme vocals.

Not sure if HBB is serious with his post or not!

Reactions: Onder
I’ve only heard half oit doesn’t seem to approach the greatness of their best instrumental tracks (Spectral Sons of the Mictlan, Deathcult Arrival, Procession to the Infraworld, Callous Spectre/Vehement Opposition) from past albums. But obviously I need to spend more time with it.

Instrumental albums are absolutely fine imo, even in extreme metal if they’re done correctly. Even if I do love extreme vocals.

Not sure if HBB is serious with his post or not!

He's just trying to provoke some controversy as usual.

Anyway, I think the Chasm new one really kicks some serious butt and I don't even miss the vocals. Does "Phase I" mean that there's gonna be Phase II?

Good instrumental death metal must be rare, though I imagine something atmospheric and technical like Ulcerate - The Destroyers of All would still be damn fine without vocals.

Drone/doom is often better the more minimal it is. I forget that Earth had a bit of vocals on their earlier stuff because it's not a significant element. One of my introductions to the genre was the reissue of Black Boned Angel - Supereclipse, which is an excellent candidate for the definitive release of the genre. Sunn O))) sounds too complicated and not nasty enough by comparison.

Instrumental is a common trope for post-rock & post-metal bands. I particularly enjoyed Russian Circles live, but don't otherwise listen to them. Into Orbit is one of the best from down this way.

Stoner stuff occasionally does the trick too. Bongripper keeps it interesting by mixing in elements of all kinds of shit, from doom to post-rock and even black metal.

i like but don't love the new chasm so far. it follows a trend of me liking every chasm album less than the previous since '98 though pretty much, and i don't imagine loving a version with vocals either. i too should spend more time with it though.

God, what's with the constant shitting on The Spell of Retribution? One of their best albums imo. The awesomeness of Retribution of the Lost Years, Monument to the Empire and Remains of the Covenant more than make up for any flab.

I'm not shitting on it, it's a The Chasm album so obviously I still love it. It's just too bloated and too inconsistent by their standards. The songs you mentioned are amazing, especially the first two. I'd also add the opening combo of From the Curse a Scourge/The Omnipotent Codex to really good tracks from it. It's also quite stylistically similar to Conjuration of the Spectral Empire which is a better album.

However, Farseeing has Callous Spectre/Vehement Opposition, Structure of the Seance, Vault to the Voyage and The Mission/Arrival to Hopeless Shores.

The new Chasm album is OK, not their best by far.

I still dig Pelican's Australasia

Lord Wind's Atlantean Monument and Ales Stenar are brilliant.

Sometimes I feel Obsequaie would benefit going instrumental.

Instrumental metal albums always feel incomplete.

The new The Chasm is as I feared, easily their worst album. Procreation and From the Lost Years drag at times but they at least keep my attention enough that I realize I'm listening to them. Tried Conscious Creation several times and couldnt finish it any of them nor can I remember any of it at all...

I've been listening to instrumental or mostly instrumental albums for quite a long time, but I've only been finding instrumental metal albums that I actually like within the last several years. Joey Tafolla's Out of the Sun is probably my favorite.

Reactions: Sirjack