Instrumental metal song

Decimator

Apr 15, 2007
Finland
www.mikseri.net
Here's my newest song. The mix was kinda rushed beacuse I wanted this out of the way to make newer (and hopefully) better songs :). I did many mistakes (d'uh) and need some opinions/comments what could and should be done better in the future.

Heres few to get started
- the snare verb has too much treble?
- the mix is lacking bass?
- the lead sound hurts my ears?:lol:

Bash away :lol:

http://www.sneapforum.celtiaproductions.co.uk/Decimator/Boiling-Point-05.mp3

Wow, no one is going to reply about this song? Guess I'll start then. I'm having to listen to this on my crappy headphones at work, which aren't exactly the flattest things in the world. Yes, the snare has maybe a little too much treble, and the low end is lacking some...but just a little. Don't be hard on yourself, I think this sounds really good. I'm lovin the rhythm guitar sounds. What did you use? Everything is nice and clear. What was your mastering chain as well? Thanks for sharing the song!

Wow, no one is going to reply about this song? Guess I'll start then. I'm having to listen to this on my crappy headphones at work, which aren't exactly the flattest things in the world. Yes, the snare has maybe a little too much treble, and the low end is lacking some...but just a little. Don't be hard on yourself, I think this sounds really good. I'm lovin the rhythm guitar sounds. What did you use? Everything is nice and clear. What was your mastering chain as well? Thanks for sharing the song!

Hey thanks for the reply. :kickass:

I used PodXT for the guitars. It's mostly quad tracked with two different sounds. I believe it was treadplate dual and bomber w/Bad Monkey. I think the low end suffered from multiband compressor that I tested at the mastering. The mastering chain was LPGEQ->C3->Kjaerhus master limiter.

There are pretty nice ideas, musically. As for the mix, I think the highs are a bit harsh and it lacks low end. Guitars are nice for a POD.

Decimator
You use a BadMonkey pedal, in front of your POD?
If i remember correctly-its like a tubescreamer emulation?
Well-can you share your presets-wich you used,for record this song?
I just bought myself a Maxon OD-820,and i will be glad for any experience,about-how to use it with POD XT.

Thanks man! Iron maiden is (of course) one of my favorites too:)

Yeah, the bad monkey is a tubescreamer emulation and very affordable one too:lol:. You can also hear the effect on a clean chorused patch in the beginning of the song with the same settings I use on a distorted patch. It adds a little bit of distortion to the sound. I think it's also easier to get the sounds you want with it, although it might be possible with the podxt alone.

Here are the patches
http://www.sneapforum.celtiaproductions.co.uk/Decimator/Bndy-Less-gain.l6t
http://www.sneapforum.celtiaproductions.co.uk/Decimator/BomberBogner+monkey.l6t

And teh BM settings

Level - 10 o'clock
Low - 3 o'clock
High - 5 o'clock
Gain - 11 o'clock

Decimator
Thanx,man!
:kickass:

You're welcome..
But shit.. I just realised that the snare is too loud on the blasts. Makes the beat turn around doesn't it. I have the snare hits quite soft on the blasts but the trigger vst is banging away hard because the threshold is set to low. So when the snare hits are softer should I automate the (other) sample volume accordingly or is there easier way. Some smart trigger vst or something like that.. Or is the only way to use multisamples?