Instrumental Rock Mix - Trying for that Putney drum sound and failing! X_x

Ice Man

Sep 18, 2006
West Palm Beach, FL
This was a solo artist that came in and laid down a song for a day. Vocals may come, but it's not certain what his intentions are. Went for amp sim on this one to experiment with. For drums I tried to get that Putney mid range weight, but it's still not there. Snare wound up sounding almost CLA'ish instead, oh well. Let me know what you think! It was mixed not as loud as it could be to save some clarity, but it could definitely go louder easily. The guitars seem to have some hard mids that are taking up too much of a sonic foot print as well.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/21730445/Song 1.mp3

Lemme know your thoughts!

sounds awesome. idk if its just me but it sounds like theres a lot of reverb on the guitars, maybe im wrong or maybe its intended. thats the only thing i would personally change. and the songs badass too.

can i get some info on the drums?

this mix is sounding sick! Please give info on the drums! also, feel free to post stems ;)

sounds awesome. idk if its just me but it sounds like theres a lot of reverb on the guitars, maybe im wrong or maybe its intended. thats the only thing i would personally change. and the songs badass too.

can i get some info on the drums?

The only guitars that have reverb would be the center leads, otherwise it's probably just some mid range that needs to be tidied up that is clouding things.

Drums are Superior 2 for cymbals, a Superior 1 hi hat, and Avatar toms. Snare had the Superior 2 Black Beauty Snare, the "Switch" snare that was just posted here, as well as some Slate snare 1, if I recall correctly. Kick was the Avatar GMS Kick, the kick sample posted recently with the "Veal" snare set, as well as some Slate K10. Room Mics were crushed and blended.

Nice beefy midrange on guitars! what amp sim?

Lecto with lolzgreg's ASEM Recto v30 impulse. It was on the red channel on the vintage setting, although there was a fair amount of EQ done post.