interested in playing drums

Theredchord8

New Metal Member
Oct 5, 2005
i'm 19 and i've always wanted to start playing drums. I've been listening to all kinds of metal for about 3 or 4 years now. unfortunately my favorite kind of music is tech stuff like the red chord, into the moat, psyopus, ion dissonance, necrophagist which seems like it'd be the most difficult. I know pretty much nothing about playing drums aside from what i want to be able to play like. I was wondering if anyone could offer up some advice about starting drumming/getting a new drum set...i've looked around the forum a bit and seen that the pearl export and tama rockstar are good.

Go see a drummer at your local store and see if they know of any teachers. I would suggest a jazz teacher for at least a while. May not be your fave type of music, but Jazz drummers kick ass on small sets and a lot of great metal and progressive drummers have taken Jazz lessons.

I always wanted to do drums too. I already play guitar and bass. Thanks for the advice, I was going to ask the same question.

97reb said:
Go see a drummer at your local store and see if they know of any teachers. I would suggest a jazz teacher for at least a while. May not be your fave type of music, but Jazz drummers kick ass on small sets and a lot of great metal and progressive drummers have taken Jazz lessons.

He may want to wait, and get the fundaments of drumming before he jumps into Jazz. Since it's a hard thing to rap your head around if you have never played before. (Syncopation, four way independence etc.) But your right about great drummers and Jazz lessons, they do seem to go hand in hand.

But yeah, getting a teacher as soon as possible is the best, if you don't you will make mistakes you don't know you are making (like how you hold your sticks for instance) and they will become bad habits.

Don't buy a double kick (which are expensive.) Until you are confident with the drum set that you have bought, and have good control with a single kick and the hi-hats. Take everything one step at a time!

And you don't neccisarily need to get the best, or the most expensive drumset for a starter kit, just something you can afford, and practice on. And you will soon find, after playing for awhile, and once you develop control, that the music you are listening to, really is not that difficult!

Take care!

If your wanting to play at that sortof speed of technical metal your gonna need alot of patience, those guys didnt start playing like that overnight.

cool thanks everyone for your advice...I believe i have enough patience to get playing and i am getting my set here pretty soon.

Where abouts in the world are you? IIf you're in the uk i could point you towards some great dealers who'll do you a really good deal on a mid range kit.

I'd agree with most of the above though...a teachers, even if it's only for a few lessons, will give you the building blocks you need to get started. I'm self taught for the most part, but a friend showd me some of the fundamentals. Without those basic things, my progress would have been a LOT slower. Also, for more drum advice check out the forums at:

mikedolbear.com and pearldrummersforum.com

Do three things:

1) Buy a five piece set.
2) get basic lessons, intermediate lessons are up to you.....
3) Play some AC/DC songs and if you learn them perfectly, challenge any drummer you know at those songs. Phil Rudd (AC/DC drummer) is an "in the pocket" basic guy, but talk about perfection !! He is a God despite being a minimalist.

Please don't discount this reply because I am asking you to play some ancient oldschool stuff. Timing is the main job for a drummer and Phil has it Work your way up from there.

Bryant

i'm starting lessons at marshal music as soon as i can....it's like 64$(i live in Michigan, USA) a month so i think i'll do a couple months just to learn the basics like you guys said. I just can't wait to get those blastbeats and double bass rollin.