Playing guitar to fast drum beats

Hybrid_Child

Majesty
Mar 2, 2006
Aarhus, Denmark
Hi I have a problem that I was hoping to get some help with. When playing guitar to fast drum beats like typical Slayer stuff for instance where the bass drums are pounding away on all the 16th notes and the snare marks the off-beats, I find it extremely difficult to keep in time with the beat. The problem is that there's not really anything that accents the "right" rhythm, basically what I hear is a low end blur from the bass drum and a snare that is like a reversed metronome. So when I play to these kinds of beats I almost instantly fall into playing with the snare as the main rhythm (as if it was a metronome) which of course IS WRONG.

Has anyone else experienced this extremely annoying phenomenon? And does anyone have some advice on how to get rid of it?

Thanks.

If you can just put a metrenome on top of the track. I always play to a metranome, regaurdless of the offbeat andafter learning to follow that tick, i can do more variations of an off beat style. There is no real way to beat it besides practice though and by no means am I a super shredder guitarist but I make due.

With a typical fast thrash style "polka" beat, the kick is the downbeat and the snare is the upbeat. If the kick and hi-hat/ride is not strong enough in the mix to use as the pulse, I would suggest practicing enough with a metronome and the drum track until you can really feel the snare as the syncopated upbeat pulse. It can be even more difficult to keep time with a black metal blastbeat, where the ride or hat is in 16th notes. In this case, you either need to use a metronome, lock in with the bass guitar, or find some subtle accents in the drum part to use as reference.