playing fast

Hexer

Nov 1, 2003
Germany
Visit site
I wondered, if you guys can tell me what could help a guitarplayer to play fast rythm stuff (used a lot in Black- Thrash- metal for example).
obviously, the main point about getting good and fast is practice, but maybe there are some things that can make it a little easier. what picks, stringgauge, technic, ....................... would you recomend? or where would you place the your guitar when playing such things (at knee-level? directly under your chin?)

just wondering..........

Random hints:
- make sure you're not 'digging' at the strings with the pick as that'll slow you down
- start good and slow and get good and fast... don't start bad and fast as you just learn bad habits
- play along to a metronome or other timing device
- have your guitar as low as your wrist can comfortably manage and as high as your elbow can comfortably manage
- be careful to make sure you alternate pick appropriately, especially when playing on multiple strings or missing beats

with 'digging' do you mean... hmm.... how can i describe it...... "keeping the pick too close to the guitar"? I noticed, that I seem to have that exact problem.
i took notice of this, when i could play fast rythms a little easier on my other guitar (Marathon ProSeries RR) that has a higher placed neck-pu that keeps the tip of the pick where it should be...............
any ideas how i could get away from that???

perhaps its just me but i find increased string tension and hard picks both help

low guitars make you look cool but unfortunately they make it hard to play fast accurate stuff

if your pick is crossing the string, toward the body of the guitar, by more than a few millimeters then youre probably digging in.... use as little pick as you can get away with..... experiment with different picks too, those thick little clear ones can be great for speed riffing

I keep my fingers about 3/4ths of the way across the pick and my hand almost-fisted. It helps a lot, but I play drums too, so that might help my arms a little. PRACTICE!

i use Clayton's Acetal Small Teardrop Picks .38mm

They are VERY small and VERY fast. They are shaped like teardrops and are smaller than the inside of your thumb. If you see some at a store, buy some, they are AWESOME! Oh, and it is practically impossible to drop one of these picks, no matter how much you sweat.

I have some suggestions:

1) first and foremost, get an acoustic guitar even if all you can afford is a cheap one from a pawn shop. I have been playing guitar for 20 years, but only playing acoustic for 10. My electric playing wasn't improving quickly after 10 years of playing, so I bought an acoustic just to do something different with and after probably only a month, my electric playing improved dramatically. The reason is because you are challenged more with a more difficult instrument to play. Learn all of those open style "country chords" and get profecient at them. Those chords will develop your fret hand technique and speed greatly.

2) Use a heavy pick and hold it in a way where you have the best control. I usually choke up on my pick and rest the pick between my thumb and the outside of my second digit of my index finger with that finger curled up. I also pick at about a 45 degree angle to the strings.

3) Never play the guitar strung down to your knees. It looks cool, but the middle of your guitar and naval level is best for me. When you get the chops down, you an add stule points later.

4) I can't help with string gauge at all, but if you do get an acoustic, don't lower the action and put mediums (13s) on it. That guitar will whip you into shape. You will want to stick your fingers in the freezer after about 15 minutes of playing.

5) Since precision speed is what you seem to be looking for, alternate picking styles as well. What I mean ismake up some riffs using up and down picking, all down stroke and all upstrokes, then combine them into a riff.

Bryant

BulletRider: I'd like to try these picks, I'm already used to small picks, I use those small Fender-picks (medium) I used to use the light version of those (as it felt easier to play fast with them), but they kept breaking, so I went over to the medium ones.....
I tried a heavy pick (Jim Dunlop JazzII) but for some reason it seems I'm just not able to play with those...
I hold my pick between thumb and index-finger. I tried to hold it the way Bryant described, but when I do so, the pick keeps turning between my fingers (until I'm l´m playing on the side of the pick) or I just loose it....
talking about string-gauge, I use 10s in normal E-tuning, at the moment. I heard somewhere, that heavier strings (11s) are used especially for rythm-playing, could it help to change to 11s?
I allready have an old acustic-guitar, (with nylon-strings though) maybe I should just take it and play some stuff with it

I allready have an old acustic-guitar, (with nylon-strings though) maybe I should just take it and play some stuff with it[/QUOTE]
That is cheating as the classical (nylon string) is easier to fret >:p~ ....but yes do try and play it. I seriously woundn't try and get someone to play an acoustic guitar and learn all of those open chords as some sick joke. Learning those open chords (like changing from G major to C major) and changes really work your finger coordination. When you master the chord changes (learn maybe ten chords) then you can learn to pick strings individually. That will also help your pick hand technique for things like "string skipping." That old acoustic guitar is the best tool in the world for playinjg electric. It just doesn't "feel" like it is until you see the results.
Another reason an acoustic is a great tool is because there are no effects or distortion to mask mistakes. When you play an acoustic cleanly, you will play a much easier to fret electric amazingly well.

Bryant

I allways hated that nylon strings anyway..........
and as I'll have to buy new strings for that acoustic anyways (one string is broke, and I don't have one to replace it) I'll probably get steel strings for it
what kind of strings (gauge, .......) would you recommend? I dont have experience in buying steel-strings for acoustic

so basicly what I should do is 1. play acoustic and 2. learn to play without digging at the strings, right?

yeh most nylon string guitars have no truss rod, so steel strings will be way too much tension for the neck

you should definately try and get the acoustic like bryant said, you can get htem pretty cheap, you can even get one at sam goody ha. heep the action at a reasonable height and practice like hell

i personally use 11s and i play lead. i like tight strings, and i use .88 mm picks, thats my favorite size, not too heavy, but not light either. try and get dunlop tortex 88's they stay in your hand pretty damn well

also where you are playing can hinder your speed. like when you play is your hand by the bridge or near the neck? for playing really fast stuff its easier to go by the bridge cause there is more tension.

also try and learn some jazz chords and play some bebop charts. they will kick your ass at first, but eventually youll start getting better and better

I dont know if anyone mentioned this , but just pulsate (sp?) thats what Nile told me....even though he uses shitty picks lol.

\m/

I use 11 guage strings tuned to E standard and use the Dunlop Big Stubby 3mm picks (not the little teardrop ones).
I also have 13's on an old Fender acoustic but don't play it as much as I should.
I guess I do the 45 degree angle when picking as well and use thumb and forefinger.

Sex Machine: that acoustik had steel strings on it at first, so I don't think It'll do any harm to it....

WarHead: what exactly do you mean with 'pulsate'???