Drum/Vocal help.

Thanatology Boy

Stupid Moron
Mar 30, 2003
el paso texas
Visit site
I would like to start playing drums soon, ill get a drum set soon enough, im wondering whats a good set/how many peices is good to start out with? later on in my durm playing i would like to play more fast heavy things in the old-er skool metal type (kaamos, repugnant, delve, visceral bleeding, etc.) (sweidh of course :) ) but i would like to know whats a good starting brand name, peices, etc, etc. Also, what peices will be good to add-on later? and also i could use some pointers on playing them.

also on vocals, i heard all i can really do is just practice and practice along with some cd's, anyone else have some helping info?

any help will be appreciated. Ty.

Well, most big brand names in drums have good standard sets.

Yamaha, Pearl, Mapex, Tama, Sonor, Premier etc. would all be worth a try, and their starter kits will be a reasonable price.

Personally, I recommend you get a kit made by one of the well known brands, as it is likely to last you longer and generally be more reliable.

The standard setup for a beginner's kit is usually a 5 piece (bass drum, snare, two mounted toms and i floor tom), and this is the setup which is most commonly sold.

The basic cymbals you would need would be a pair of hihats, a ride cymbal and a crash, I would think (again, perhaps from a recognised brand - ZIldjian, Sabian, Paiste - depending on your financial situation).

Once you feel more comfortable with what you've got, and you want to expand your gear, perhaps invest in another cymbal (maybe a different crash or a splash) to give you more scope when playing.

Additional toms can also be added, simply depending on what you feel would be a ghood addition to your setup.

It's down to you really, but personally I'd recommend you start with a standard 5-piece kit from a well known brand, with perhaps a cymbal pack (usually containing hihats, crash and ride) - again, perhaps from a recognised manufacturer.

SAorry for waffling - I hope this helps a bit.

:)

If you want to play double bass, in my opinion, either get a double pedal or a double bass set up right off the bat so you can learn that from the start, rather then play catch up later on. You may not or don't have to use it alot at first, but it will be easier to play later on if you practice with it now.
I started off on a 5 piece and got into double bass as soon as I could wheather I was going to use it alot or not. I do use it alot now and it adds alot more options to how you play and sound like over all if that's what you like to play.
Far as cymbals, Zildjian is my fav. You can get a decent priced cymbal package if you check musciansfriend.com. One thing not mentioned is the sticks. For starting out you might want to buy some lower priced off brand name, so you not spending $10 a pair and wasting you money on that until you get better. Once you do, you might want to check out Ahead drum sticks. I got a pair and they are cool to play with. Light and easy to play with, yet they hit hard enuff that you don't have to try to hit hard at all. Check em out and see for youself. But be warned, they aren't exactly cheap.

Hmmm....my advice is to start simple. The drummers job is to keep a beat. You should learn that first off. Don't start off trying to be a super-fast double-bass player who cant keep a beat.
And I like Pearl drums.:)

For vocals... I suggest that you practice every day. Man, I need to practice more myself... but I highly suggest you take lessons and get advice from those who have been there and know the answers! You need to work on diaphragm breathing at first and then a good thing is to practice scales with the piano. Depending where you are.. you could extend your range in a matter of time. Everyone is different. Never underestimate the vocal chords, because they are just as challenging as any other instrument!
Oh yes, and no stressing them out. After you sing you should not feel as if you had just yelled to someone across the room. Do no use your throat voice. The sound should virbrate off the plate under your nose (roof of your mouth) it's hard to explain but when you feel it, you will know. Anyway, fuck, this is getting so long. Message me if you want. Talk to you later. Good luck.