New band... name help

FenriR

Oct 10, 2007
England
OK... a few friends and I are looking to start a black metal band, possibly symphonic. The name we're playing around with is 'Sanctum Chaotica', or Holy Chaos. It could also mean prayer of chaos if you take it as a corruption of the christian thing.

Good? Bad? Ugly?

Also, I'm damned if I can come up with a suitable logo. Any guidelines or pointers would be muchly appreciated.
Thankly muchso.

Sanctum Chaotica sounds pretty good. Holy Chaos, however does not. A tip for coming up with Black Metal band names is to take a normal world and add things to it.

For instance:-

Cream
Cerestam

Left
Lesereft

ETC...

As for a logo, either try a program like Fireworks or Photoshop, or see if you can get someone to design one for you.

nononono, I meant Sanctum Chaotica translates AS Holy Chaos.

And, yeah, I'll screw around on photoshop and see what I can come up with.

well.... 30-40 mins screwing around in photoshop and I came up with this...
cdocumentsandsettingsadot3.jpg

...which I feel is pretty black metal. Look, it has a pentagram, an upside down cross, AND a goat skull!

srsly, though, I'm quite happy with that for a first attempt. Obviously, it needs neatening a bit, maybe drawn up using something other than a caffeine fueled brain and a mousepad.

Who the hell ever said logos were supposed to be legible? Illegible logos are as much a characteristic of black metal as the music itself, I'm surprised no one thought of that before posting that they couldn't read it.

I like the logo, but not the lines used to draw it.

The name seems too generic to me, but it's okay. The band name doesn't make me curious and isn't very intriguing to me. A lot of times I check bands out just because of their name. Anyways, I don't like the logo. The whole smoked effect in the background doesn't scream symph black metal, rather mechanic industrial metal. Also the lines you used to draw it look too 3d and glam. The square looking structure is cool though.

Name is extremely generic, and if you ever plan on going anywhere with the band then change it. Otherwise, it's fine.
No offense, but that not only looks ugly, but it doesn't look the slightest bit black metal.
Just take a pencil and paper. Make the letters really jagged and interconnecting. You'll end up with something looking like Emperor, Mayhem, Bal Saggoth, or whatever. You can then come up with something to put in back of the name.
This way, the name stays relatively legible, looks kvlt, and doesn't take up half the album cover.

come on, ppl, its not that bad for half an hour with photochop.

alright, I'll try and find some time to come up with a decent, hand-drawn logo.

I think it's quite cool, but not as a logo. But as a something you places somewhere inside the cover, or on the back.

A tiny hint from me on how to draw a BM-logo:

Start with just simply drawing the letters with your normal handwriting and a pencil (this is because you shall erase it away later, so don't draw very hard...)

So you just look at the letters, and draw the letters as your fantasy tells you with a pen. Finally you erase away the pencil-letters.

well.... 30-40 mins screwing around in photoshop and I came up with this...
cdocumentsandsettingsadot3.jpg

...which I feel is pretty black metal. Look, it has a pentagram, an upside down cross, AND a goat skull!

srsly, though, I'm quite happy with that for a first attempt. Obviously, it needs neatening a bit, maybe drawn up using something other than a caffeine fueled brain and a mousepad.

Its Unique and thats whats good about it,
Mind you the top center of that image looks to me like a goats skull and kinda reminds me of the Wacken Logo

I was watching The Decline of Western Civilization Part II: The Metal Years a couple days ago and Dave Mustaine was talking about stuff and he ended the sentence saying.... "they're dealing strictly with Satan." And I was like "SWEET!" I think you should name your band Dealing Strictly With Satan.

Sanctum Chaotica sounds pretty good. Holy Chaos, however does not. A tip for coming up with Black Metal band names is to take a normal world and add things to it.

For instance:-

Cream
Cerestam

Left
Lesereft

ETC...

That is a fucking sweet trick.

Can anyone help me come up with a name that is for a Rap/Metal band that also sounds kind of Experimental and unique? I was thinking of Reanimation but thats a little bit generic.

I was watching The Decline of Western Civilization Part II: The Metal Years a couple days ago and Dave Mustaine was talking about stuff and he ended the sentence saying.... "they're dealing strictly with Satan." And I was like "SWEET!" I think you should name your band Dealing Strictly With Satan.

I always thought that "None More Black" (from Spinal Tap) would be a great name for a metal band. Too bad some Punk dweebs already have it in use.