Interesting occupations

I've met lots of folks in the metal scene work in IT - I do as well. Like OrbWeaver - I have a master's in psych and have been a licensed therapist (& in IL). I'm also military - so as a musician, don't have the long hair. :( I'm not a therapist any longer - now I'm in IT - primarily servers, OS, Info Security and the like.
And hopefully the freaking deployment cycle is coming to a close and I can head back to ProgPower again next year!! It's been too long!

Probably more money and better hours doing what you do now. I can't even get a job AS a therapist, despite being licensed! I've worked with at-risk youth in a residential setting (NEVER AGAIN. I was going bald, and not because my hair was falling out. Because they were YANKING it out when they went into crisis and went after me. And that's not the worst of it.) I currently work with adults with developmental disabilities in a residential setting. I really like this job, but I can barely pay bills with what I get paid, and I work 12hr shifts on the weekends. I have no social life, and I don't get to see my family unless I ask for time off. I miss my friends and family. :(

It's hard not to feel like I've wasted a lot of time and money in graduate school when I can't get the job I went to school for.

Probably more money and better hours doing what you do now. I can't even get a job AS a therapist, despite being licensed! I've worked with at-risk youth in a residential setting (NEVER AGAIN. I was going bald, and not because my hair was falling out. Because they were YANKING it out when they went into crisis and went after me. And that's not the worst of it.) I currently work with adults with developmental disabilities in a residential setting. I really like this job, but I can barely pay bills with what I get paid, and I work 12hr shifts on the weekends. I have no social life, and I don't get to see my family unless I ask for time off. I miss my friends and family. :(

It's hard not to feel like I've wasted a lot of time and money in graduate school when I can't get the job I went to school for.

Wow - I can relate. I worked in residential my first job with teenage boys - that was fun. Then got into casework, and then finished my Masters and became a therapist. Worked that for a few years, then went to an inpatient hospital setting. Lots of stories.

Yes - Definitely make more money - by a large margain - now. Went with my military specialty and got into IT - and really love the work.

btw - my wife is getting her masters now - MSW. I tried to talk her out of it. . . lol. :)

Where'd you go to school - I completed at Bradley -and even taught there during my EdD (which I did not finish).....

Just remember: sometimes you hear things you don't want to hear before anesthesia takes full effect or has worn off.

Oh I can imagine! I myself have had surgeries and I am always afraid of what I might say (giggle). That's why I always try to tell myself "think of someplace nice and warm, like a beach" as they toss the blanket on me - ha ha ha.

One time I woke up from surgery hearing my doctor talk about his impending hair transplant. I sat on that one for awhile, then the follow-up visit I said to him "You were saying some weird stuff as I was coming out of surgery. Don't know if I heard it right or not?" So he said, "Oh usually it's always wrong." Then he asked me what I thought I heard. So I told him. He looked at me and said "Yeah, you heard me right." So I then said "Where's your new hair?" - ROTFL He's like "Um, it didn't take..."

Oh and I failed to mention, he was the ob/gyn. Never rile them before an exam - that is what I have learned :)

Wow - I can relate. I worked in residential my first job with teenage boys - that was fun. Then got into casework, and then finished my Masters and became a therapist. Worked that for a few years, then went to an inpatient hospital setting. Lots of stories.

Yes - Definitely make more money - by a large margain - now. Went with my military specialty and got into IT - and really love the work.

btw - my wife is getting her masters now - MSW. I tried to talk her out of it. . . lol. :)

Where'd you go to school - I completed at Bradley -and even taught there during my EdD (which I did not finish).....

I did my undergrad at Bradley! I loved it there! I did my Master's at SIU-C. ...I didn't love it quite so much. I should have stayed at Bradley for my Master's as well, but all my Psych profs strongly suggested going to a different school for my Master's degree. That was one area in which I wish I hadn't listened to them. I got a good education at SIU, but I don't feel I was treated fairly by some of the professors and one of the TA's.

I started off with teen boys in residential, and had no major issues. They didn't tend to attack female staff. But after problems with a co-worker, I got moved to a unit that was all pre-teen girls. I came home with bruises on a regular basis after that. I have no desire to work with youth in a residential setting ever again. Too many negative factors, there.

Peter from Beyond the Bridge is working on his PhD in Physics! So yes, lots of brain power in the acts this year.

I'm a senior level software engineer for a large medical corporation and design and write the code to control motor movements and process flow for automated sample prep machines. I also specialize in operating systems for embedded systems and PCs. So yeah, huge metal nerd here too! :lol: I am accompanied at work by many musicians in our R&D Engineering area (and long ago played in a prog metal cover band with two others from my area - the drummer worked elsewhere but work in IT). In Odin's Court, Matt is a former embedded systems software engineer for a defense contractor, but is now pretty high up in management; John, the drummer, is a network engineer specializing in network security; Savino is full-time jazz musician; Craig does a lot of computer work as well. It is crazy how many musicians have jobs in the science fields!

I eat ice cream and play ping pong all day.

Also I work at a college as a janitor even though I feel like I'm smarter than most of the people who go there. Sometimes I see an equation written on a blackboard like half an equation and... I just figure it out.

I'm the Executive Director for a very small non-profit organization in the healthcare sector.

And I might add that I spent today attempting to slot in 15 doctors to speak during a two-day patient conference. All I can say about what Glenn and Jen put together year after year is: :worship::worship::worship:

Once upon a time, I was a musician (or at least thought I was) but gave it up for something a little more, shall we say, lucrative. Now I get to certify landfill construction for the EPA and the environmental section of whatever state I happen to be working in. And yes, I have heard the phrase "being down in the dumps" way too damn much!

I'm a chemical technician and I'm running a radiocarbon dating laboratory in a University. Not a very "metal" working area and some of my customers sometimes make weird faces when they enter the lab with loud heavy metal music playing...

I love it! Simone and Alex from Voyager give you some competition though: I think they are insurance claims adjusters.

When I first started coming to PPUSA, I was licensed to sell P/C insurance, and was working on an adjusters license.

I own a mortgage company. Possibly the least metal job ever! Haha

The job I was working last spring: I worked for a company that used to develop, host and maintain general ledger software for Farm Credit Associations. I worked there for 3 years and have no fucking idea what that means still.

I'm a paramedic . Guess that makes me a ParaMetalhead m/

Did we talk? If not, we should have...

-MetalRose