Internet celebrity explanation

I've never been too good with names
The cellar door was open,
I could never stay away
I know it's probably not my place
It's either or, I'm hoping for a simple way to say

Which one are you?

I don't listen to a lot of Black Metal. But it's safe to say that those that do and have only a passing interest into it (like the hipster people), while it's not a big deal, it's also probable they don't understand the aesthetic and the politics of it very well. Just like how a person with a very wide musical taste also listens to say, Iron Maiden, doesn't understand Heavy Metal very well, or specifically NWOBHM.

Whether it's important to reflect upon aesthetics and history of music and it's philosophical concerns is not I believe a matter where a strong opinion can be presented. If shallow listening makes people happy, fine. However, it [making people happy] is in direct contradiction to what Black Metal was specifically intended to be, and this contradiction is a fish in the barrel for those that like to look smart and exclusive by pointing out the obvious. Shit gets reconfigured post-modernly every day, nothing stays within it's first intended use, this is old news, and people know this. But Black Metal is romantic art, and the people who strongly identify have a problem getting over how it is also, anything else people want it to be.

I had no intention to do anything.

It was just funny to me to make myself look foolish on the internet...and have them feel as if they won.

Im Paul88 and Chalice.

So yeah, that is all....the thread was created without my knowledge...someone just saw it as something cool to do.

In other news....I bought Dowsing Anemone....on vinyl today at amoeba....yet I have the copper/silver with shirt package on its way.

Impatient?

I think so....

musically there is some pretty good black metal. but I fucking hate the attitude. we played with one black metal band in charlotte on our last tour and they were hands-down the douchiest, rudest band I have ever encountered. If uyoou ever have the dubious honor of seeing Apotheosus (sic), please feel free to spit on them.

If anyone here is looking for a fucking stellar Black Metal band...check out Deathspell Omega.

Oh and regarding the attitudes of black metal followers....yeah....its worse than the screamo metro kids and the jud-jud toughXguy hardXcore guys but together.

There's a lot of really good black metal (early Ulver anyone?), but there are also a TON of talentless, generic black metal bands playing the genre only because it's not hard to play. And yes, most die hard black metal fans are unbearably irritating.

Emperor is Awesome....and Deathspell Omega, Cladestine Blaze is good sometimes too, I really like the Twilight Record....and some of the other US stuff(Although most is terrible).

Did you all know Hydrahead is releasing the New Xasthur and Herisi records?

Oh and some Kayo Dotters play on the the new DAUGHTERS record...which is awesome btw!!!

Paul.

Helm said:
Deathspell Omega are very conceptual

And one of the most talented and intelligent Black Metal Bands ever.

I love the people that hate their new stuff, because...basically it doesn't sound NECRO(Read: Shit).

Although, even their early stuff sounds awesome.

All of their lyrics, are also all biblically based, which is interesting.....all very well thought out and researched.

At least they are attempting to know their "enemy".

Paul.

At least they are attempting to know their "enemy".

see, without wanting to sound like an ass, this is what those people were talking about: Deathspell Omega (whom I don't particularily like as far as music goes) are not attempting to know their enemy by studying scripture. They're probably more theist than your average christian.

Some people, probably the band itself, would take offense to construsion that arises from ignorance. It's the case usually that these things are better looked into fully or not at all.

Oh I fully agree with you, I know they are more "theist". I went to a christian school full of ignorant fucks that just took everything in without questioning an inch of it.

But you dont think that DSO is attempting to shed light onto the cloudy areas of scripture?(i.e. Kenosis of Christ)

Wouldn't you say thats is delving into they very core of what holds christianity together? [that being that christ came to earth all man and all god to save everyone....blah....blah: ).]

Im not saying that knowing there enemy is the sole purpose of what they are doing, but it plays a part.

I wouldn't say that, or anything else decisive about what Deathspell Omega are trying to do as I haven't invested much time in understanding their stuff.

Now, I havent talken an all encompassing look at their full discography.

But I have sat down with their latest release, "Kenose" and gone over at least the first song in great depth.

I've even written notes about it. haha.

It's really interesting stuff, dealing entirely with the aforementioned concept of Kenosis(which means "emptying" in greek).

Si Monumentum is amazing, but Kenose is at most OK. The reason I say that, and I know it sounds rather arbitrary, but they are trying to expand in too many directions. Kenose isn't really the best example of this (which makes it ok), but the two newer split tracks that they released are very compositionally poor and constantly meander into useless highly effected acoustic or other nonsense that really makes no sense. Be that as it may, I'm still looking forward to the second part of the trilogy.