Interview with Anders Fridén from Tartarean Desire

"We hear it from all fans "please, play something from Jester Race and Whoracle and Colony or whatever" but we learned over the years that we write our music, our songs, from live-perspective, all songs from Soundtrack To Your Escape we're able to play live, and they will sound good live. The songs from the Jester Race - we were young, we were like trying to get everything into one song, all tons of melodies at the same time, different guitarlines and so on. They will sound totally crap and weak and that's why we don't play those songs live."

Hmmmmm... :erk:

EXCUSES. "Graveland" or "Dead Eternity" wouldn't work live? GIVEMEAFUXINGBREAK. What he really means is that they're not tuned to B and don't have any JUMP DA FUCK UP!!! breakdown sections. Can't fault them for not trying, though, but the mallcore version of "Moonshield" they played at Wacken turned out to horribly maim a great song.

Erik said:
EXCUSES. "Graveland" or "Dead Eternity" wouldn't work live? GIVEMEAFUXINGBREAK.
Agreed. Look at Iron Maiden, they make it a point to keep the classics in while at the same time playing all the new stuff. I suppose since they play 20 songs setlists they have that luxury, but In Flames is in headlining mode a lot lately so I don't see why its not possible.

Their doing a lot of layering on this CD as well. For fucks sake the have keyboards everywhere and THEY DONT HAVE A KEYBOARDIST! Nor do they have anyone live doing backing vocals. Theres a ton of shit tracked. I know damn well that TJR/Whoracle/Colony songs can be arranged for 2 guitars to sound fine. Anyone whos heard live in koln knows this is true.

That wasn't my point. The songs sounded fine live, I wasn't wincing because a guitar layer was missing. Whether the new songs sound better live is beside the point, I'm just saying the old stuff is more than capable of being played live and sounding good.

Thanks for posting the interview. I see his point about setlists; they have to do what they feel is right at the end of the day and fans don't own bands as we all know....or do they?

there were some issues with playing songs glenn wrote or cowrote live, and from TJR, that leaves them with moonshield (which they play), artifacts (which doesn't always sound great live), and wayfaerer (not much of a live song).
The intro of artifacts from every live recording I've heard doesn't sound right live, and with the tendency of treble to fade much morethan the bass, I see what he means by it doesn't sound great. I would still like to see them work some into their sets, but it's still fine to play newer stuff.

Why? We have all the roots with us, why do we have to go back to the roots? If you’re a band and you say "Ah, we need to go back to the roots", then you lost something along the way, there’s no point. We exist for ten years now and we can't write the same songs again and we don't want to do.

And his point is? They did lose something along the way...

first off "writing the same songs " isnt the same as staying with your roots , your roots are what make you great, and in inflames case it is the guitar harmonies that we all love from jester race up until rtr and the melodies that have been the inflames staple since the beginning, theres nothing wrong with writting songs that have these things inthem, in fact thats what they should be doing instead of writting gay ass numetal waite inflames are soo nu metal that you have to re right the word kgnu metal , and the fact that they now have another gay nu metal cd coming out, pretty much solidifies my worries that they will no longer play there great songs live because they have to make room for the "nu" stuff so that means BY BY embody the invisible and by by ordinary story and all the other great songs they wrote and hello to the nu inflames , the inflames who only plays sets comprised of rtr songs a stye songs withthe occasional only for the weak and episode 666. oh well i guess ill have to go listen to a better band like children of bodom or arch enemy because inflames or more appropriatly n'flaymz have lost there metal roots, now i can only classify them as shitty swedish electronica lol but i will always listen to the masterpeices on jester race and colony and whoracle and clayman because that was inflames not N'FLAYMZ !

WOW WHAT A RANT ! LOL

Egonomic666...you're an idiot. Perhaps I'd take you more seriously if you could make a decent, original point with at least some basic grasp of the English language.

People need to change the record with the "'N'Flamez gay-ass numetal" bollocks, because whilst I can see where they are coming from to an extent with songs like Transparent and a few others on R2R, with the exception of maybe one or two songs, the new album is clearly not nu-metal in the fucking slightest, and you need your ears testing if you think otherwise.

Meanwhile, there are plenty of old-style guitar harmonies on the new album. Theres still some dud tracks (and many albums have their share) but, and I'm saying this as somebody who didn't mind R2R anyway, this pisses all over R2R from a height. Songs like "Dead Alone", "In Search For I" and "Superhero of the Computer Age" are pure In Flames and as good as the best on Clayman.

In fact, the only real complaint I can come up with about the new album is the lack of soloing, but hey, I can fucking live with that. If I want to hear a bit of cheesy widdling I'd go and listen to some other band or older In Flames.

Freddy Krueger said:
Lets all cry a tear because they, like every other band in the world, wont play songs from their earlier CD's on tours.
You must not have seen the setlists Metallica has been playing recently. They've been rotating their sets every night with songs like Damage Inc, Fight Fire With Fire, Leper Messiah, Ride the Lightning, No Remorse, Hit the Lights... oh yea, and Dream Theater plays all their old shit too and rotates their set like no other.

all this fucking rant coming from someone with the nickname Egonomic666... If you like In Flames' melodies so much, why didn't get nickname like "The Jester Race666" or "December Flower666"... you are gay...