Interview with Symphony X tomorrow! (Suggestions for questions are welcomed)

Undefined

Indefinite Entity
Sep 27, 2006
Unsure and Inexact
I have an interview with the band tomorrow at the HEAVY MTL Festival (1000 thanks to Jax for her help! :worship:) and I have all of the questions I wanted to ask down already. I was just wondering if there's anything anyone here would like to have me ask, any worthwhile questions that are suggested here I will promise to bring up if there's time (I know this goes without saying for you guys but please try to stay away from anything that you could easily found online or that's been asked to death). I am not sure who I will be interviewing as of yet or if it's the whole band, (I have to call tomorrow when I'm on-site to find out for certain what's available) so try to keep things general (or ask a question for a specific member and if they're present I'll put it out there). So feel free to fire away! Thanks!

*Note: I used the search function and found no thread that I could have posted this in. I apologize if this is not a great reason to start a new thread but I thought I'd share this opportunity with you guys.

I would like to know if the guys still plan to re-record their debut album. I'd love to hear songs like Premonition or A Lesson Before Dying with their new sound and of course Russell on the vocals :p

I apologize if this is not a great reason to start a new thread but I thought I'd share this opportunity with you guys.

It is actually nice of you to consider posting here before doing the interview. :)

Well, I'm sure you probably are going to dedicate a couple of questions for this, but we would surely like to know about any upcoming thoughts the guy's might have concerning their next delivery, just any predictions and ideas they might have.

They mentioned that they're happy with the way the band sounds today, that with PL they kinda found the balance and direction they've been seeking. I however don't think they'll just make another PL, so with that in mind, our wonder is how exactly are they willing to maintain that direction, keep the innovation, while staying true to the SymX legacy (i.e. not selling out).

I also recall reading (in a previous chat interview with the fans a couple a years ago, I think) MJR's mentioning of a solo project he will be working on following Paradise Lost, I personally am very interested in this (so much I'd like to know, but my main question is simply: what will it be like?) so you might wanna dedicate a question for this if it's him that you'll be interviewing, or even any similar projects by other members if it's the band you'll be talking to.

Just a thought, have fun bro.

wtf joe! lucky bastard...

whenever a new cd comes out and you guys tour, why do you always play almost the whole album and only play a couple of classics or oldies?

romeo: any chance of a MJR caparison signature model? (ask if he remembers me from the portland show, i was wearing a COB shirt and we were talking for a bit before the show)

wtf joe! lucky bastard...

whenever a new cd comes out and you guys tour, why do you always play almost the whole album and only play a couple of classics or oldies?

romeo: any chance of a MJR caparison signature model? (ask if he remembers me from the portland show, i was wearing a COB shirt and we were talking for a bit before the show)

yeah, MJR sig would be amazing! :headbang:

I want to know why the band, or MJR, decided to tune his guitar in D standard... where did the idea come from? Why do they do it? Its burning inside of me...

And could you ask Jason Rullo about some of his practicing techniques with odd time signatures. How does he stay in time through songs like Lacrymosa and Communion? He probably uses a click track and practices a lot.. but what kinda exercise does he do/tips?

I would like to know if the guys still plan to re-record their debut album. I'd love to hear songs like Premonition or A Lesson Before Dying with their new sound and of course Russell on the vocals :p

I wish they would, but I think they scrapped the idea a while back in favor of touring and finishing Paradise Lost. Hopefully they'll re-record a song or two for future bonus tracks, though.

I want to know why the band, or MJR, decided to tune his guitar in D standard... where did the idea come from? Why do they do it? Its burning inside of me...

And could you ask Jason Rullo about some of his practicing techniques with odd time signatures. How does he stay in time through songs like Lacrymosa and Communion? He probably uses a click track and practices a lot.. but what kinda exercise does he do/tips?

Great questions... I would like to know the answers, also.

Rod Tyler sounds awful. If you feel otherwise, then that's good, but ask 99% of people who have heard it and they will vehemently agree. The production was bad and the songs are pretty terrible too in my opinion. If I had to rate it, I'd honestly give it 3/10 at best.

Interview is done, I picked Mike Lepond because well, he is the fucking man (in my eyes, I mean out of a band full of nice guys it's hard to choose but for me Romeo and Lepond are the nicest). I asked a few questions for you guys, we had a picknick sans food in some corner of the festival, interview was really fun! I'll try to have it up sometime soon!

awesome dude. was the festival in jersey?

No, it was in Montreal... fucking epic. Finally a European style metal festival in North America. It was really amazing I'll be back next year for sure, I just hope there are better bands next time around, this was a good start though.... it's just I had a two day pass but I left because well, tomorrow's line-up wasn't all that great imo.

No, it was in Montreal... fucking epic. Finally a European style metal festival in North America. It was really amazing I'll be back next year for sure, I just hope there are better bands next time around, this was a good start though.... it's just I had a two day pass but I left because well, tomorrow's line-up wasn't all that great imo.

who else was there, and what did SX play?

I was trying to come up with a question yesterday, but seriously just couldn't come up with anything fresh and that made sense.

Looking forward to the interview tho.

Yep, I was there! Symphony x rocked everyones faces off, and the sun burnt everyones skin. Photos will be posted one day soon!

:lol: Oh yeah, they definitely were the best band there (aside from Maiden of course..).. I mean they stole the show imo, and that is said after heavy consideration. It's a very unbiased review... SX were the band everyone went wild for the most aisde from Maiden, and honestly the pit was brutal, far worse than I would have ever expected, a guy fell and got his forehead split open and their was blood everywhere. :ill:

And yeah, a got a bad sunburn too. I have access to a private FTP server with professional pics from the show, I'll check the rules of the festival and see if I'm allowed to post them if I am then I'll put them here.

who else was there, and what did SX play?

Um, they play a short set unfortunately... I think it was 3 PL songs (Domination, Serpent's Kiss, Set the world on Fire) then Inferno and Of Sins and Shadows (which owned live). I could be wrong.

I was trying to come up with a question yesterday, but seriously just couldn't come up with anything fresh and that made sense.

Looking forward to the interview tho.
Yeah that's ok, there isn't much to ask anyways, I mean they've toured so much and done so many interviews that a new question is hard to produce. It was a really laid back interview, more like two friends talking really. I didn't really ask anything technical.