Into Night's Requiem Infernal - Reviews

Status
Not open for further replies.
Author: Dr. Abner Mality
www.wormwoodchronicles.com

Here's another fine album from Chicago's own masters of "gloom metal". These guys are remarkably consistent with their output and this new one is no exception. Don't expect anything different from previous efforts like "The Novella Reservoir" and "The Pale Haunt Departure"...when you are locked into a groove like November's Doom, you don't need to experiment much.

They have a remarkably heavy and dense guitar sound that adds power to each full-bodied note. The title track builds beautifully from some ascending arpeggios until exploding into a brutal wall of sound. The other weapon in the ND arsenal is the vocal prowess of Paul Kuhr, who simply possesses one of the deepest and most powerful growls around. And yet it is always articulate, never mush-mouthed. He also uses his sensitive clean vocals to good effect and I'd say that after Opeth's Mikael Akerfeldt, he is the best practitioner of the growl-clean combo. The album has a great flow to it, with some fast raging cuts like "Lazarus Regret" and the epic sounding "The Harlot's Life" alternating with moody, doomy crushers such as "Empathy's Greed" and "Eulogy For the Living Lost". As always, there's a couple of ballads like "The Fifth Day of March" and "When Desperation Fills the Void" to round things out. As you might be able to suss out from the song titles, things remain as doleful and hopeless as ever in the world of November's Doom.

Only thing I really have an issue with is the cheap and cheesy looking cover, which is a drastic step down in quality for them. Fortunately, the material inside is a different story and "Into Night's Requiem Infernal" is another strong brick in the foundation that is November's Doom.

Rating: 3.5 / 5
Author: Mike
www.metal-temple.com

The announcement of a new NOVEMBER’S DOOM album is now something that I greet with great anticipation. Ever since 2005’s "Pale Haunt Departure" changed my perception of what Doom Metal could be, I have had this band in regular rotation on my CD player. With 2007’s "The Novella Reservoir", the band could have changed their name to "November’s Death," as that album was easily their heaviest yet, with faster tempos and fewer slow melancholic parts, although there were a couple of great songs with only clean singing. Some complained about this heavier direction, although I was fine with it as long as the quality of the songs stayed at the same level.

NOVEMBER’S DOOM was formed all the way back in 1989, although the only original member remaining is vocalist Paul Kuhr. However, they did not release their first album until 1995 and have overall released a total of seven albums. A live DVD, entitled "The Novella Vosselaar: Live in Belgium" arrived in 2008.

There was a high amount of expectation among the band’s fans. Some thought that NOVEMBER’S DOOM would continue in the heavily death-metal influenced direction of their last album, while others thought that the band would return to the sound of the previous album. Others even thought that this album would have a completely new sound. It turns out that "Into Night’s Requiem Infernal" could be described as a mix between "Pale Haunt Departure" and 2002’s "To Welcome the Fade", although that description really only for people who want a basic idea of what to expect.

The truth is that NOVEMBER’S DOOM largely avoids repeating themselves. Some bands fall into a groove into how they write their songs or arrange their albums, but that is not the case here. The past two albums started with furious Death Metal epics, while the first three songs are largely mid-paced. Kuhr even growls over acoustic guitar in "Eulogy for the Living Lost", which I don’t recall them doing before (it definitely works better than one might think). One big advantage of this album is the level of consistency. Every album before this had a noticeable dip in quality in the second half of the album. "Lazarus Regret" and especially "I Hurt Those I Adore" ensure that the second half is strong.

The main downside of "Into Night’s Requiem Infernal" is that there are no songs that approach the same exceptional level as "Swallowed by the Moon" or "Drown the Inland Mere". Even though the guitars are still really heavy, there’s nothing as crushing as "Rain" or "The Pale Haunt Departure". Even the quiet songs aren’t nearly as good. The quiet songs are probably the biggest disappointment here. It’s not that the songs on this album aren’t solid, because they are, it is just that they just don’t approach the levels of their previous output.

Despite the criticisms mentioned above, the music and vocal performances are still very good and this album is definitely worth owning. The consistency is a definite bonus. The artwork is solid, but unspectacular. NOVEMBER’S DOOM has given us another winner, it just isn’t a masterpiece like their previous two.

Rating: 8/10
Author: Jeff Treppel
Outburn Magazine

Okay, Into Night's Requiem Infernal sounds like the title of a book of terrible teenage goth poetry. But don't let the dark cheddar fool you. Novembers Doom knows how to rock some seriously awesome death doom, and they're from Chicago, so the clean vocals don't have the funny European accent.They've been on a roll for the entirety of their 20 year existence, knocking out great album after great album, and record number seven is no exception. Paul Kuhr's throat is in fine shape, using his (totally comprehendible) guttural roars and deep singing voice to toss out bon mots about death, failure, and, uh, the living lost (who get their own eulogy). This is heavy stuff, and not just in the lyrical department. They don't waste much time before kicking right into an even more pummeling version of the "Children Of The Grave" riff on the title track. "Lazarus Regret" is pretty much a straight-up burst of death, and "I Hurt Those I Adore" toys with Gojira prog. They aren't all aggression, though. "The Fifth Day Of March" is eerily reminiscent of Pink Floyd's The Dark Side of the Moon. And it's that willingness to play around with the sound that makes this band so great. So don't be scared off by the gothiness. Embrace the ravens and the graveyards and check this out.

Rating: 7.7 / 10
Author: Alex Gilbert
ultimate guitar

Sound: Epic, melodic, moving, impressive, Chicago’s Novembers Doom is back at their best. Their sound is massive, and Into Night’s Requiem Infernal is a true work of art. Novembers Doom’s expertise in their doom metal sections is at an all time high, and their death metal riffing shows a controlled yet forceful attack. The path they travel contains both darkness and elegance, and Novembers Doom displays brilliant mood swings. Plus, it’s great that drummer Sasha Horn has come back to join his brothers in Novembers Doom, for throughout their history, they’ve never sounded more sincere, complex, open minded, and forceful. Into Night’s Requiem Infernal is both chilling and thrilling at the same time. Beginning the CD with the title track, Novembers Doom already introduces some of the densest music of their career. The song proposes some interesting rhythms, and blasts some great galloping brutality. Moving along, Novembers Doom gives their more death metal approach with “Lazarus Regret”, showing they have a bunch of tricks up their sleeve. The intro gives a steady metallic gallop, and drummer Sasha Horn really lets out the beast on this one. “Lazarus Regret” is a beast for sure, and I can’t recall the band sounding more furious in their career! Another great jam Novembers Doom shows their death metal strength is on “The Harlot’s Lie”. Mixing some huge chords matched with relentless brutality, the band’s formula hasn’t sounded more solid. The song stays heavy for awhile, and going through the thrash driven verses is a headbanger’s delight. Into Night’s Requiem Infernal closes on such a beautiful song with “When Desperation Fills the Void”, and Novembers Doom really gives doom metal a special treat. With a Pink Floyd influence, especially within vocalist Paul Kuhr, the band leaves the listeners hungry for more. I’ll definitely have to say that song is the jam right there! Novembers Doom do sound a lot like Opeth and Pink Floyd in many ways, to where also their early Chicago death metal roots kick in at full blast (also listen to Paul and Sasha’s side project These Are They). But indeed, the band pulls off a brilliant crossover, and as an American band, their brand of doom metal is so good, comparisons in strength can be drawn to European legends like Paradise Lost and My Dying Bride. //*8

Lyrics and Singing: The vocals show strong versatility, where vocalist Paul Kuhr unleashes deep guttural growls, chants of despair, and a droning style of singing. At times the vocals can be very similar to Opeth’s. And I think on Into Night’s Requiem Infernal, he [Kuhr] has found a style that suits him well. I especially like the heavier side to his voice, and on “Lazarus Regret” he blasts out of the gates with those guttural growls to instantly command the listener. Even when the tempo begins to slow down a tad, the man still maintains the integrity of their sound. In many ways, Kuhr really keeps the structures of the songs afloat. On the Novembers Doom ballad side of things, he is much more personal this time around, and the man really explores his vocal range well. This is definitely Paul Kuhr at his deepest, strongest, and angriest, and all of this works towards Novembers Doom’s advantage as a whole. //*7

Impression: On first impression, I knew the new Novembers Doom was going to take me off into some new places. The band has always had an incredible train of thought, and this is definitely a release with plenty to think about. One listen will spark your interest for Into Night’s Requiem Infernal, but more than one listen is necessary to sum this beast up. Because there is so much going on in the music, you aren’t going to catch every little detail until you let it grow on you. And that is when you’ll experience the true beauty of Novembers Doom. //*8

The Obelisk

Novembers Doom Don’t Go Quietly into Night’s Requiem

Novembers Doom have always been the American champions of a predominantly European sound. Formed in a tandem timeline with the likes of Paradise Lost, Katatonia and My Dying Bride, the Chicago outfit didn’t release a full-length until 1995’s Amid its Hallowed Mirth, when the Euro scene was already well established, and never really got their full due of credit or influence. Having of late adopted a less lavish, more immediate death metal sound, the band complete their second decade of existence with their seventh LP, Into Night’s Requiem Infernal (The End Records).

Even those who heard 2007’s The Novella Reservoir will be surprised at how much Novembers Doom have upped their deathly approach. The first two minutes or so of the opening title track are virtually indistinguishable from Amon Amarth, such is the thickened weight of Larry Roberts’ and Vito Marchese’s guitars. Only when vocalist and lone original member Paul Kuhr switches from growls to his clean approach can they be told apart. There are two solid, weepy doom ballads on Into Night’s Requiem Infernal — “The Fifth Day of March” and closer “When Desperation Fills the Void” (the latter gets heavy at the finish) — but the larger portion of the record is geared toward a classic US death metal sound with flourishes of melancholic ambience. Sonically, it’s more Opeth than Anathema, though of course Novembers Doom was a band before either of them, so take that for what it’s worth.

“Empathy’s Greed” might be the highlight of the album, as it combines crushing death metal and a clean vocal chorus that sums up what Novembers Doom have become in the back half of this decade. Drummer Sasha Horn’s footwork impresses throughout, but especially here, as he provides more than straight runs and typical rhythms to match bassist Chris Wisco. The equally punishing “Lazarus Regret” (the two tracks effectively frame “The Fifth Day of March”) is shorter but no less heavy.

If anything ties the Novembers Doom of today with the same band who released Of Sculptured Ivy and Stone Flowers a decade ago, it’s Kuhr’s lyrics, which explore as ever the depths of human regret and emotional longing. The vocalist’s experience with the degenerative disease Spinal Stenosis bleeds into the words of “I Hurt Those I Adore,” and “A Eulogy for the Living Lost” combines personal crises with religious imagery. As has always been the case, the way in which the words are presented in the songs is as important (if not more so) than the words themselves.

Devotees of the older, doomier Novembers Doom material won’t have much to cling to with Into Night’s Requiem Infernal (the heavier side of “When Desperation Fills the Void” notwithstanding), but newcomers without such expectations who were into The Novella Reservoir or 2005’s transitional The Pale Haunt Departure will be fine. It’s not a landmark release, but open-minded fans will still have no problem getting into the band’s songwriting, which remains of a consistently high quality, no matter the genre in which they’re situating themselves.

Author: Custodio
The Noise Tasters

I’ve lived the darkest day on that seventh day of July

It seems like Novembers Doom continues with the north-americation of their sound. Let me explain what I mean. Formerly, you could find a description for Novembers Doom like the following one on doom-metal.com: “Melodic and mournful doom-metal with tons of atmosphere and some of the best vocals done by Paul Kuhr. One of the few Doom acts that can combine mournful sound with a warm & ‘accessible’ feel without sounding cheesy.” They said that the sound of Novembers Doom was an oasis in the USA of the European typical doom metal sound. In fact, the band played in their first 3 albums very mournful doom metal, including occasional female vocals, acoustic passages, spoken words and, of course, the brutal vocals of Paul Kuhr. This kind of ‘atmospheric’ bands aren’t a common stuff in America. This scene is full of death and thrash metal bands and the doom metal sound is totally opposite to European bands by the strong sludge and stoner metal feeling in the country. Of course, Novembers Doom aren’t currently playing sludge metal, but since they published “The Pale Haunt Departure” in 2005 they revealed a strong death metal influence… no more female vocals here. Well, I knew about this band in that year, “The Pale Haunt Departure” was the first album I listened from Novembers Doom and let me tell you that it was AMAZING. Songs like “Dark World Burden” made me change my perception of what a doom metal band could play. A solid mixture of powerful death metal and painful melodies. Later in 2007 they published “The Novella Reservoir”… something was wrong, this was still doom metal, but they were on the border, there wasn´t almost any down-tempo moment in this album.

This September 7th Novembers Doom released their 7th full-length through The End Records, mixed by the famous metal musician Dan Swanö. The band is celebrating their 20th anniversary so you can imagine that they really want to surprise us. Titled “Into Night’s Requiem Infernal”, this new album shows us more death metal influence, an aggressive sound similar to the past “The Novella Reservoir”. However, if you pay attention to any track you may agree with Paul Kuhr who tells this is a combination of the aggressive “The Novella Reservoir” and the dark “The Pale Haunt Departure”, some riffs may sound thrasher but you’ll find more dark moments including, of course, the lyrical mood.

Novembers Doom has forged a very unique sound between doom metal and death metal, between powerful riffage and melodies, between deep guttural vocals and clean vocals. But playing such a specific sound is also a problem ‘cause some tunes may result very repetitive. The immediate example is the homonym album’s song, the first track on the list. Listen to the riffs and drums rhythm: this is very similar to the homonym from “The Pale Haunt Departure” and the opening “Rain” from “The Novella…”, also the rhythm on Kuhr’s vox is similar. You’ll also find a clearly death metal song called “Lazarus Regret”, the brutal vocals and the thrashing riffs make of this song the most aggressive not only of this album, but in Novembers Doom’s career. Perhaps, another problem about this album are the melodies. In my very own personal opinion, they’re not as good as they were in the past albums; I mean they sometimes are nothing but a repetition of few seconds loops. Once again, this is nothing but my opinion. However, there are some very nice tracks. I really liked 3 of them: “I Hurt Those I Adore”, “Eulogy For The Living Lost” and the first single “Empathy’s Greed”. These are the doomiest songs of the album. A creative sound which I think only Novembers Doom is able make. Check how the powerful death-metal riffs are played with mid-tempo drums and, obviously, the mixture of clean vocals and growls; we can also find acoustic parts in “Eulogy For The Living Lost”. But, you also need to listen to the last track “When Desperation Fills The Void”. It’s a part of that semi-acoustic face of Novembers Doom, I love this kind of songs that are present in all of their albums. This last track stars as a ballad with harmonic guitars and clean vocals and it ends as a massive funeral-doom metal song with the brutal growls of Kuhr!!

Lyrically, this album is quite dark. Paul Kuhr wrote in Novembers Doom site: “It's about the personal struggle with inner demons, battling with the unknown, and looking at others who use faith as a crutch. Much has happened to me in my life, and during the writing process for this album many challenges stood in my way. Family, health, loss... As thing pile on, one can't help but have many questions, and dwell in the negative." While symbolism and dark mood is present in the aggressive tracks, some others are filled with melancholia. For example the ballad “The Fifth Day Of March” I can’t really understand these verses:

“ I’ve lived the darkest day
On that fifth day of March
Words can’t begin to say
Just how much we’ve lost”

While this may talk about a terrible loss, other part of the song seems to talk about Paul’s child:

“All those years we watched you live your life
With sacrifice, the honor and the pride”
However, the atmosphere is quite dark and fits in Paul’s description of the lyrical mood. Surely with this kind of lyrics you couldn’t find a better cover for this album.

I don’t know exactly what to feel about this CD. I like death metal, but I really like Novembers Doom’s original sound, not only talking about their oldest doom metal style, plus, the melodies haven’t convinced me. However, I can’t deny I enjoyed this album, furthermore the recording quality is astonishing, and I’ll confess you Paul Kuhr is my favorite singer and he has made an impeccable work on this record.

Author: Scott Alisoglu
Blabbermouth.net

As far as developing and refining a sound is concerned, Chicago old-timers NOVEMBERS DOOM seemed to really hit stride with 2005's "The Pale Haunt Departure", maintaining that quality level and upping the death metal ante with 2007's "The Novella Reservoir", a more aggressive outing that came with even more memorable songwriting. They had truly found the sweet spot between doom's melancholy and death metal's crushing aggression, all of which came with songwriting that never forsook melody.

"Into Night's Requiem Infernal" continues the consistency streak, yet is something other than what many would assume to be a logical extension of "The Novella Reservoir". The music is written in a way that allows a pinch more breathing room and comparatively more restraint, while keeping the affair moving along even during the most somber/mellow moments.

But before one jumps to conclusions, "Into Night's Requiem Infernal" is still most representative of the band's skillful blend of DM crunch and doom's weightiness fused together with class and elegance. In addition to Paul Kuhr's behemoth growls (though always intelligible) on the mid-paced chug of the powerful title track (one of several that showcases an increased percussiveness accompanying the monolithic riffs), "Lazarus Regret" (the album's fastest track), and the tight, punchy "The Harlot's Lie" (where Kuhr also employs menacing spoken sections) the big man's best melodic/clean vocal work to date is heard on "A Eulogy for the Living Lost" (where lightly picked guitars and busy percussion alternate with quick-rolling chug), the incredibly catchy "Empathy's Greed", and "I Hurt Those I Adore". In all three cases, his chorus patterns are as addictive as they are haunting.

Moving onto more contemplative terrain, "The Fifth Day of March" is a brilliant display of dreaminess that borrows heavily from PINK FLOYD's strongest melodies, albeit crossed with a touch of KATATONIA. Closing the album with "When Desperation Fills the Void" is fitting, its blend of soft acoustics and electric dirge serving as a slow, dismal end to a strength-sapping journey of thought and emotion. In this case, Kuhr's OPETH-esque singing is breathtaking in its beauty.

"Into Night's Requiem Infernal" is further proof that NOVEMBERS DOOM is anything but tapped out. I wouldn't call it a better album than "The Novella Reservoir". It's just a different album that works for somewhat different reasons, a point that should be taken only as praise for a band that understands its sound and still manages to steer clear of the pigeonhole.

Rating: 10/10
This Way To The Dark Side

OCTOBER ALBUM OF THE MONTH...NOVEMBERS DOOM...
We're very pleased to announce that Octobers' This Way To The Dark Ride "Album of the Month" is the totally fucking awesome "INTO NIGHT'S REQUIEM INFERNAL" by NOVEMBERS DOOM.....

ND have been around for some twenty years now and have released a considerable back catalogue of wonderful albums.....which to many have passed by under the radar...Check out the back cat....it really is the best....

"Into Nights Requiem Infernal" is simply ....sublime........ Doom at its very very best....From the opening title track which grabs you by the throat and pulls you into its ethereal power , into the colossal "A Eulogy for the Living Lost" and "Empathys Greed"....then the heartfelt lament of "The Fifth Day of March" with its beautifully sculptured clean vocal and the personal message laid within Paul Kuhrs consistently brilliant lyrical content....

But hey don't get relaxed as next up "Lazarus Regret once again pulls you back into the "dark maelstrom" before hurling you into "I hurt Those I adore" and my personal fave "The Harlots Lie".......ND leave us wanting more....much more with the the final offering "When Desperation Fills the Void".....Can we have another stunning album ASAP please guys......or perhaps I'm clamouring for too much of a good thing!!!......

Novembers Doom count My Dying Bride and Katatonia amongst their fan base.....that speaks for itself....I consider Novembers Doom to be the greatest band in their genre...Ok I'm open to arguments !!!........and I implore you to buy this album (and any other ND releases you can get your hands on.....

We were lucky enough to speak to Paul on the show last year...that generated interest to the degree that they became the most requested band whilst we were on Rock 24/7....
and I can only emphasise that this is a 10/10 album...Catch the tracks on the show throughout October (and I'm sure for many months after!!)...

Heres to the next 20 years guys.....

Rating: 8.5 / 10
Author: Mark Dolson
Chronicles of Chaos

The latest output from Chicago's Novembers Doom, _Into Night's Requiem Infernal_, sees the band continuing the unique style of highly atmospheric dark metal found on their previous six albums and one EP. There aren't too many surprises musically or lyrically on this album, though, save for the fact that we see the band edging a little deeper into darker territory -- both musically and lyrically. Much like _The Novella Reservoir_ (2007) and _The Pale Haunt Departure_ (2005), the lyrical content on _Into Night's Requiem Infernal_ centres on personal struggles and existential issues, particularly of the sort the German philosopher Karl Jaspers called "limit" or "border situations" (grenzsituationen) -- those experiences in life that exceed our ability to grasp and understand them through conventional, intellectual means, like death, war or existential anxiety.

As such, death, god, and the pangs of regret and failure are common themes throughout the album's eight songs (which span some forty-four plus minutes). A case in point regarding the aforementioned themes is the song "The Fifth Day of March": a slower, melancholic threnody of sorts which features the sonorous and memorable crooning of front-man, Paul Kuhr. With its shoegazy feel (somewhat redolent of Opeth's "Face of Melinda"), the song features clean, sweeping guitars and softer, slower-paced drumming; whilst the lyrical content focuses on death (particularly the passing of Kuhr's father), and the ineffable void this experience opens up for those left behind. I must say that Kuhr's vocals really are the highlight of the album insofar as his low and guttural, albeit understandable, growls are one of the most distinctive in the death / doom / dark metal genre (along with his higher pitched screams); whilst with his clean vocals, we find much more range, emotion and character than on previous albums.

Musically, the album is heavy as ever in typical Novembers Doom fashion, and maintains the listener's attention with many memorable, down-tuned riffs. Just listen to the opener of "The Harlot's Lie": this rollicking riff is heavy and catchy, and wouldn't sound misplaced on an Arch Enemy album (particularly _Burning Bridges_). A few songs feature that typical Novembers Doom style of chord progression (harmonic and disharmonic) that wash over the listener with a sense of hope in the undulating waves of desolation -- just listen to the beginning of the song "I Hurt Those I Adore" to see what I mean. One noticeable difference in terms of musicianship on the album is the drumming: _Into Night's Requiem Infernal_ sees newcomer Sasha Horn (of Palace Terrace and These Are They fame) take over the stool from long time drummer Joe Nunez. I find Horn's drumming faster, more agile and more intricate than Nunez's slower, plodding style. To this end, Horn's drumming gives the songs that much more of a dynamic edge, making Novembers Doom, in my opinion, a more versatile band.

Sadly, a major complaint I have with _Into Night's Requiem Infernal_ is the lack of guitarist Vito Marchese's melodic solos -- they seem to have all but vanished from the songs! And this is a damned shame inasmuch as Marchese seems to be an under-used talent here. Aside from this rather major setback, though, _Into Night's Requiem Infernal_is a strong and solid effort that sees the band crystallising their considerable talents in making atmospheric and philosophically sophisticated dark metal. I can't wait to see what they do next.

Rating: 9.5 / 10
Reviewbusters.net

When it comes to doom metal there are only a handful of bands I enjoy anymore. One of those bands that I still enjoy is Novembers Doom. Seven albums into their career and Novembers Doom have found a way to change their style and the doom metal genre as a whole.

The biggest difference on Into Night’s Requiem Infernal has to be the atmosphere. This album is much darker than previous releases. At one point it sounded like Novembers Doom was trying to take doom metal to a new path, more mainstream. By axing out the bad Novembers Doom found a way to put the doom back into doom metal.

The albums self-titled first tracks starts off with this tone that sets up the whole album in this epic doom metal track. From there the album keeps getting better as each track builds off of each other.

What I found to be the most enjoyable aspect on this album is how epic all these songs are. You could literally picture a painter painting the lyrics on a canvas. Each track does such a nice job telling a story. Novembers Doom just knows how to make doom metal, period.

Final Verdict
I was getting worried for awhile with the path Novembers Doom was going down. With their seventh release, Into Night’s Requiem Infernal, I am glad to hear an album that is their best to date. Into Night’s Requiem Infernal is the album that dreams are made of, which is why you need to listen to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.