Fan Reviews & "Into Night's Requiem Infernal" discussion

I've never really thought about the speed of the solos on ND's music. When I was listening to INRI for the first time last week, I just remember thinking that the solos sounded just right for the music and were well played. I've been playing guitar for 27 years and I'd say that to play something cleanly and precisely with (to quote Bruce Lee, heheheh) emotional content takes skill and good musicianship as much as playing fast does. In fact, if you crank up the distortion and play on the neck pickup, you can get away with murder in terms of almost faking good technique, by playing a bunch of fast notes that sound flash on first hearing but are really messy and don't have a lot of substance behind them. I saw a dvd by that mega-shred guy Michael Angelo, and he kind of myth-busted fast playing by saying that some guitarists can play a fast run that's initially impressive, but have very little idea what they've actually played, and couldn't play the same thing twice!

I'd say the solos on ND's albums sound precise and show good technique but also have a lot of feel and most importantly, fit with the songs they're being played over.:kickass:

I have seen interviews with both satriani and blackmore where they both said it takes far more skill to play with emotion than with speed.

also, if anyone wants a good chuckle then cheak out blackmore's night, ITS RICHY BLACKMORE PLAYING REN-FARE MUSIC!!! Which is kinda awsome cus I think hes in the SCA

Hey guys just wanted to mention that I found out yesterday that the overall mastering, production and vocals cut through really well even at lower volumes - I was listening to the album on the bus to work yesterday, and was trying to avoid being "that guy" who cranks his music way to loud and pisses off all the other passengers, lol, so it was on fairly low with quite a bit of background noise, the lowest level I've played the album at so far, and I could still hear the lyrics and the overall playing, etc, pretty clearly, which isn't always the case under those circumstances. Thought I'd mention it anyways - good job!