Fan Reviews & "Into Night's Requiem Infernal" discussion

Apr 24, 2002
Chicago, Illinois
www.novembersdoom.com
Reviews are starting to come in, and as usual we will post them in the locked thread for you to read. This thread is for you to either post your own reviews of the CD, and discuss the views of others.

With the promos making their way to the review sites and magazines, the inevitable internet leak will surely happen. While we're not happy about this, we also realize there is nothing we can do to stop it from happening. We also know some of you may be very excited for this release, and will obtain an early copy. We won't stop you from discussing the release, or your opinions of the release. Feel free to talk about it, and post your review.

The only rule, is RESPECT THE BAND. This is very simple to do, and I'll make this very clear one time...

DO NOT POST THE FACT YOU DOWNLOADED THE CD. IF YOU MENTION DOWNLOADING, AND TRY TO JUSTIFY YOUR THEFT BY SAYING "I plan on buying it when it comes out." YOU WILL RECEIVE A TEMPORARY BAN. IF YOU MENTION A LINK, OR PLACE ONLINE, WHERE TO ILLEGALLY DOWNLOAD THE CD FROM, YOU WILL BE PERMANENTLY BANNED FROM THIS FORUM AT ULTIMATE METAL.

This applies to newcomers, forum veterans, and even those we consider friends. All we're asking for is you respect us enough to not brag about the fact you illegally obtained the music.

For all we know, you could have received a legit promo copy. LET US BELIEVE THAT'S HOW YOU RECEIVED IT.

Once again, please respect us here, and enjoy "Into Night's Requiem Infernal."

Well said, Paul. As always I'll wait until the physical copy becomes available, and then I'll be slappin' my bucks down. Something about owning a copy of an album you've been lookin forward to, being in your hands. I just always loved that "feel."

Same here.
I will not be downloading any leaks.
I expect the first time I hear this in its entirety will be on July 7th, unless there is a pre-order package which arrives earlier.

I suppose I am old school, but I feel you need the complete packaging of an album to capture the feel.

July 7th can't come fast enough...
I've been on a NDOOM binge the last week, I can't even count the number of times I've listened to "The Knowing". Its to the point that NDOOM just went up a rank in my favorite bands of all time, putting them above Paradise Lost... And the new cd isn't even out yet!
Sorry I'm being a fan boy, but I am very excited for this release.

As I can't post in the Into Night's Requiem Infernal - Reviews thread
it be here ...
from Revolver magazine (9/2009)
rev.jpg

Aren't you guys a quintet?

Haha, anyway...

Just placed my preorder! Couldn't be more excited!

Is there a place a guy could order a poster as well?

I find, that if framed, they make excellent wall hangings :D

OK. I had to talk about this one...

<<Rating 3/5
Author: Matt Murphy
Decoy Music

Novembers Doom has undergone a subtle transformation of sorts since their first demo was released in 1995. Originally rooted firmly in the traditional doom aesthetic pioneered by My Dying Bride, the group now bares a greater resemblance to doom-tinged melodic death metal bands like Insomnium and Daylight Dies. With that stylistic change, the Novembers Doom of late has injected a bit of energy and urgency into their songwriting that they successfully maintain on their latest album, Into Night's Requiem Infernal.

The album&#8217;s title track kicks things off in rollicking fashion as the group lumbers through a fairly straightforward death metal number interspersed with lighter moments that serve as reminders of the group&#8217;s earlier melodic leanings. Peter Kuhr&#8217;s harsh bellows, not altogether unlike Mikael Åkerfeldt&#8217;s demonic pipes, comprise the only use of vocals on the track, a not-so-subtle reminder of the group&#8217;s recent stylistic change. The band wastes no time demonstrating their penchant for balancing death metal riffing and slower, mournful melodies more commonly associated with the doom genre. Though the &#8220;soft-loud-soft&#8221; aesthetic may sound elementary, in the hands of an experienced group like Novembers Doom it comes across as listenable and dynamic.

&#8220;Empathy&#8217;s Greed&#8221; and &#8220;I Hurt Those I Adore&#8221; put the bipolar nature of the group on full display with soulful acoustic leads and clean singing slotted between double bass-fueled riffs and Kuhr&#8217;s throaty growl. &#8220;The Fifth Day of March&#8221; and &#8220;When Desperation Fills the Void&#8221; take a more somber approach by dropping all traces of death metal and adding some Pink Floyd-esque riffing and harmonious vocals to their doom-laden sound, a welcome change of pace for fans of the band&#8217;s earlier releases. The heaviest song on the album, &#8220;Lazarus Regret&#8221; takes the opposite approach by utilizing a thrashier, up-tempo style in place of the melodic tinges found on earlier tracks.

Into Night's Requiem Infernal is another worthy addition to the group&#8217;s growing discography. At this point in their career, however, despite several impressive releases, Novembers Doom has yet to show that they have the ability to hang with the genre&#8217;s heavy-hitters. While this album most likely won&#8217;t catapult the group to elite status within the genre, it should cement their place as one of metal&#8217;s more consistent acts. Fans along the lighter side of the metal spectrum would do well to give this a listen, while others may be better off waiting on the new Novembre and Insomium albums. >>

Who the fuck is Peter Kuhr?

SO, no disrespect to Insomnium or to our friends in Daylight Dies, but our sound really hasn't changed THAT much since For Every Leaf That Falls, way back in 97. We've been around 20 years this year, and we STILL don't seem to get any credit what-so-ever in the eyes of many reviewers. I'm just thankful our FANS get us.

Overall a decent review, until I read the lat paragraph. I STRONGLY disagree with the comment of "Novembers Doom has yet to show that they have the ability to hang with the genre&#8217;s heavy-hitters." Ability has nothing to do with it. Personally, I think many of the genres "heavy-hitters" are where they are due to geographical location, and luck. TO say our ability is lacking, is quite insulting to me. And why would some "be better off waiting on the new Novembre and Insomium albums." ??? I simply don't get it, since we really sound nothing like those mentioned bands.

Especially when fans along the lighter side should give you a listen, while others (juxtaposition: darker side of the metal spectrum) should wait for novembre or insomnium?

Sense.

There is none :p

On another note, The Illinois review is really cool. We're the ones getting the present :)

I'm confused......so fans of the lighter side of metal should check us out but the heavier fans should check out Novembre, etc.......No disrespect to those other bands but aren't they pretty mellow alot of the time too? I mean this new cd has songs like "Lazarus Regret", "Harlots Lie" and the title track, which are pretty much full on brutal DM tunes for the most part. I really don't get it *scratches head*

Yeah again, with our seventh cd now, we haven't broken the streak of getting the backhanded complimentary reviews, LOL. It's like they're saying, "Well the band is good, and the cd is pretty decent, but fuck this band anyhow." Haha. Oh well. :)

I'm confused......so fans of the lighter side of metal should check us out but the heavier fans should check out Novembre, etc.......No disrespect to those other bands but aren't they pretty mellow alot of the time too? I mean this new cd has songs like "Lazarus Regret", "Harlots Lie" and the title track, which are pretty much full on brutal DM tunes for the most part. I really don't get it *scratches head*

Thats exactly what I was thinking, how on earth would Novembre be darker and heavier??

exactly what i meant :)

probably another case where the writer is trying to say something, but ends up saying something completely different. being able to express yourself properly is a nice skill to have, and people should consider working on that skill... especially when they're a writer ;)

WTF???!!!??? Sorry, I can't listen to ND anymore, as I have discovered the overwhelming heaviness that is Novembre, and ND is just pop music in comparison to these mega-brutal Italian lads...:eek:

I always enjoy a review more when the reviewer actually has a clue what he or she is talking about...:mad: Has he ever actually HEARD Novembre?????

Stuff like this makes me think there are too many games in town now. I read it and get the impression that the review process went more like "Okay It comes out the 7th. If my review is after that, the label will be mad and take me off The List. What's the band's name again" than "What is this band trying to achieve? Why do they succeed or fail at it?Hmm interesting. They may be called Novembers Doom but there's more Edge of Sanity than My Dying Bride in here."

Oh and Paul if you think Peter is bad... at least he didn't call you Mary.

Just sayin... maybe the dude's a fan of that old rascal puff as sung by Peter, Paul Kuhr, and Mary.