Fan Reviews & "Into Night's Requiem Infernal" discussion

Everyone is entitled to their opinions and I won't make any assumptions as to what he's a fan of or not. I just can't make heads or tails of reviews like this, where you finish reading it and you're like, "okaaaaay.....was that a good review or a bad review??" LOL Most of the review was pretty good and understandable, and then at the end he took that left turn and put us down in a way (I think? lol) Plus he talks throughout the rest of the review about us being more death metal than our earlier melodic leanings, etc., etc.......and then at the end says we're for people with "lighter" leanings and apparently lighter than Novembre........I dunno man it's just confusing, I'm glad I'm not the one reading that review and trying to get a gauge on whether or not to check out this new ND cd, LOL.

I'm curious as to who the "elite" are in our "genre". People keep trying to put us into a genre and I think maybe the point that's being missed here is that we don't fit into any particular genre, and maybe that's a part of why we're not considered one of the "elite", to a degree? Frankly I don't see what difference any of it makes. You either like the cd or you don't. Constantly weighing it against other cds or acts out there is a waste of time, in my opinion. I don't sit around listening to Deep Purple "Burn" and thinking, "Well this is good but it's not nearly as good as Led Zeppelin IV". They're both good. Your brain can withhold alot of information folks, there ought to be plenty of room up there to absorb all kinds of stuff, they don't have to fight for space lol.

Same here.
I will not be downloading any leaks.
I expect the first time I hear this in its entirety will be on July 7th, unless there is a pre-order package which arrives earlier.

I suppose I am old school, but I feel you need the complete packaging of an album to capture the feel.

that is funny.....I thought you didnt buy CD's anymore?

Me...I love buying the CD....as anyone who has been to my place has seen the rows of CD's.

Hopefully Metal Haven will be getting it in this weekend so I can pick it up. I still have a stack of like 40 disc to get through though

****** ON A SIDE NOTE*******

there isnt going to be a special edition come later down the road? Lots of labels are doing that as of late and it is driving me nuts.

The Genre's Heavy Hitters?
My Friends and I consider Novembers Doom one of the Heavy Hitters let alone trying to hang with them... This review blows, I enjoy both Daylight Dies and Insomnium, but they are the new kids on the block when it comes to doom/death and Melodic Death. As its been said, you guys have been around a LONG time, and you've proven yourselves with every album, too bad this poor schmuck isn't aware.

Both those reviews fucking blow. What the fuck are death-rattlers? And saying to wait for Novembre's new album if you want the heavy style or this music? Are you fucking kidding me? The reviewer messed up the song name and Paul's name even. Obviously that dipshit didn't know what he was talking about.

I don't understand music critics. If your not a fan of the band or at least of the style/genre of music how can you rate it? For instance, if my job was to review music and they told me to give a review of the latest Nickelback album I would tear that piece of shit apart. But tons of people love that shitty band and if a fan of the band reviewed it, it would be totally different. Everyones music taste differs so much I don't see how a general music editors opinion really matters at all. Does this make sense at all?

Also, I'm a huge fan of Daylight Dies and I own one Insomnium album and to compare this record to either of those bands is fucking retarded.

I could see if it said that we might appeal to or be of interest to fans of DD, Novembre or Insomnium, because while we differ from them, we do have enough traits in our music that quite possibly would click with their fans. But comparing us is kinda pointless. Whatever, honestly this stuff bothers me less and less with each new cd, lol.

Honestly, re-reading the review now, if you just took the middle two paragraphs, hell even include most of the first paragraph, and put that up as the whole review, that's really all you need isn't it?? He did a good job informing the reader of what to expect from the disc in terms of what songs are heavy, what songs are mellower, what kind of vocals and guitars you can expect to hear, etc. For me that's usually what I want to know from a review. All the other stuff about whether we're as elite as other bands in the genre or who ranks where is just more a matter of opinion anyhow, and I don't think makes any difference as to whether or not the music on the disc is a good listen or not. Overall it's a pretty decent review! Too bad he just made it kinda confusing with that end bit and the obvious typos, haha.

cd is fucking amazing!!!!! I had high ecpectations, but it just goes above and beyond them!!!

Hey! Guess what leaked on the internet TODAY! I can officially say, this CD did NOT leak online until the release day. That's never happened to us in the MP3 age, so I'm pleased.

So basicially you took the masters with you when ya wrapped up at Chris' studio.:tickled:

Drove a half hour to Salem and got the new cd at Newbury Comics tonight.

As always, you guys never let me down!

I have only listened to the whole thing once through, but my faves so far are tracks 2, 6, and 8. Lots of cool riffs and some cool break downs too. I think paul did an excellent job on the vocals, I hear some maturity from the last record as far as vocal harmonies and melody. Sick guitar tone and the new drummer is a great addition. I really liked the lyrics in the chorus to "Despiration". I hope you guys make it to our area this time, that would be bad assed, I will be buying the Patron shots.

And fuck all the reviews. People who compair bands to others are fucking un origional and not worthy of being called a journalist. To me this sounds like a Novembers Doom record, and a good one at that.

Cheers!

Hi all, just wanted to share my thoughts on the new album.

Bought it 2 days ago on iTunes, and have listened to it in whole probably 3-4 times so far... having been a huge fan of November's Doom since TPHD came out, I was slightly disappointed with Novella Reservior, and am so far enjoying the new album. I did want to mention a couple of things though, and please I don't wish anyone to take offence at this, this is merely obversations from a fan.

The music is top notch, I have to say that I'm extremely impressed with the new drummer Sasha, a very talented drummer indeed :headbang:
The music on the whole is tight, well written, and enjoyable. So you probably think now, well, what am I not happy with ? I'll get straight to it, it's the lyrics... To be totally honest, at times, from first listen, and subsequent listens also, some of the lyrics had me cringing. It's only on some songs, but at times, in my opinion, the lyrics are painfully basic. I wondered whether it was just me, so I gave my brother (also a fan of Novembers Doom) a listen, having not mentioned anything about my thoughts on the lyrics. I asked his opinion on the album. First thing that he said was "It sounds great, but I cringed at some of the lyrics". I kid you not, that is exactly what he said. He cited The Fifth Day of March as the one song that made him cringe the most. I would have to agree. I don't mean to disrespect Paul or any other members, I know this is obviously a very personal song and the lyrics are obviously very heartfelt and meaningful to you.

This is merely an observation, and in total honesty, this is one area I feel Novembers Doom has been lacking the last two albums, strong lyric writing.

I would like to mention though, that Paul's vocals, especially clean vocals, are definately getting better and better, and guitars and guitar solos especially are sounding very grown up, such as on The Fifth Day of March. Such a great piece of songwriting, such a pity the lyrics let it down for me...

There, sorry I just felt I had to voice my opinion, having not seen many fan reviews pop up yet, I'm just wanting to know if others are feeling the same ?

I'm sure Paul will pipe in with his feelings about this but I want to share my own opinions on this as well.

Our lyrics have been, for quite some time now, a rather "love 'em or hate 'em" subject for many people. For as many times as we've had people come forward with similar criticism as you've had towards our lyrics, we've had alot of people cite Paul's lyrics as being one of the main reasons they love our stuff. Obviously, no matter how hard one side or the other will try to argue their position, it is subjective at best and ultimately just a matter of personal tastes.

Paul made a conscious decision a while back to take a different approach on the lyrics from what so many other bands in similar genres have taken. Sometimes it means that the lyrics are very honest, personal, and to the point without alot of overly poetic allegory happening. Some people have complained that the lyrics are too personal, or that they're too directly sentimental, etc. You mentioned that they made you cringe, I am curious to know specifically what parts make you cringe and why for? This is not a counter-attack directed at you, either. I am genuinely curious to know what it is and why it is, because I like to at least try and understand where people's opinions and impressions of our stuff is coming from, even if I don't completely agree with it.

Also curious to know what about Novella disappointed you?

Speaking for myself, I don't think any of the lyrics in "Fifth Of March" are cringe-worthy or poorly written. In ways they remind me of the kind of approach to lyric writing that Roger Waters did, especially during the "Final Cut" and "The Wall" period.....which I guess is suitable given that the music underneath is most certainly Floyd-ish.

Also, I want to add for the hell of it, that I much prefer Paul's approach to lyrics over so many of the others in metal these days, especially certain bands......ones we get compared to alot, for example.....I won't name names, lol.......

Haha, I know what you mean, and I totally understand and respect that Paul has chosen to write his lyrics the way he does. Perhaps it's so different for a metal band to write lyrics that way, and that is possibly the reason I find them overly simple, like you said, other bands you get compared to take a totally difference approach to lyrics.

Why do the lyrics make me cringe, I don't know to be honest, it's not that I think they're bad, I think it's just the simplicity of them, and I guess I'm used to thinking about lyrics and pondering what they mean, as opposed to The Fifth Day Of March for example, where the lyrics are straight cut, the listener knows exactly what they mean.

Not sure what about Novella I didn't like, I know I wrote in one of the threads shortly after it was released.. don't get me wrong there are songs on there I really enjoy, but I guess there's some songs I found weakened the album. I still believe The Pale Haunt Departure is your finest album, I don't find a single song on it to be weak at all, the lyrics aren't as simple as on later albums, a true masterpiece in my opinion... some of the songs on that album move me too, emotionally, the lyrics and music. Haven't experienced that on later albums..

Please don't get the impression I hate the new album, I actually love it ! The lyrics thing, well, I'll just need to live with that, maybe they'll grow on me with time :) Congrats on the new album by the way, I do like it despite what I have said.

I think The Fifth of March's simplistic lyrics work especially well. I've nearly lost a father figure. When discussing it, my words lose any sort of poetic edge and I'm just a dude standing there thankful I don't have to grieve. Honestly, Paul's choice of simple words for that song struck me as pretty fucking bold. He's presenting himself as someone who loved a person completely and openly to a scene which often prefers its emotional statements wearing as many layers as possible.

MJStraughen,

I can completely respect your opinion, because I agree with you, that I do take a more simple approach with SOME of the things I write. The one thing I guarantee you, when you THINK you understand everything in The Fifth Day of March because of how straight forward it is, trust me when I tell you that you do not.

Maybe this will help you understand where I'm coming from... I try to write every song with multiple meanings. The meaning I believe each listener will deduct, and the actual meaning of the song. You probably have 50% of that song.

For me, I refuse to write in a style that isn't me. I'm not the poetic "These art thou" doomy guy, and I'm not the over written, thesaurus open, could be 15 different meanings, kind of guy, and I'm certainly not the style of writer who writes a song where people say "What the hell does that mean?"

Bottom line, I write in my own style. I don't copy anyone, I don't try to follow the pack, I don't follow the "metal" rules with I write. I don't write for the music, I write for myself, and it's become part of Novembers Doom. As Larry said, I get more response from people with praise from this approach, then negative, and I'm always touched by how strongly people react to my lyrics.

Simplistic, or not, the one thing you can always count on from me is they will be honest, and not made up nonsense that I tried to get high marks in a creative writing class. I can't please everyone, it's impossible to try, so as long I'm happy, and my band likes what I'm doing, that's all that really matters to me.

Thanks for your comments!

I think The Fifth of March's simplistic lyrics work especially well. I've nearly lost a father figure. When discussing it, my words lose any sort of poetic edge and I'm just a dude standing there thankful I don't have to grieve. Honestly, Paul's choice of simple words for that song struck me as pretty fucking bold. He's presenting himself as someone who loved a person completely and openly to a scene which often prefers its emotional statements wearing as many layers as possible.

Thank you, and well said. :kickass:

On a different note.....that sputnikmusic.com review was cool but cracked me up a bit. We've been doing this since 2005 eh? LOL And the "drumming could've been better"???? I don't get that one at all.