Fan Reviews & "Into Night's Requiem Infernal" discussion

Well, after listening to INRI all week at work, I was thinking all day how I would review this album. GrievOr gave a great review, and its spot on! :headbang:

So, I am not gonna just regurgitate the same info, I will sum up this album in one word:

STOUT /staʊt/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [stout] Show IPA adjective -er, -est, noun
Use stout in a Sentence

–adjective
1. bulky in figure; heavily built; corpulent; thickset; fat: She is getting too stout for her dresses.
2. bold, brave, or dauntless: a stout heart; stout fellows.
3. firm; stubborn; resolute: stout resistance.
4. forceful; vigorous: a stout argument; a stout wind.
5. strong of body; hearty; sturdy: stout seamen.
6. having endurance or staying power, as a horse.
7. strong in substance or body, as a beverage.
8. strong and thick or heavy: a stout cudgel.

–noun
9. a dark, sweet brew made of roasted malt and having a higher percentage of hops than porter.
10. porter of extra strength.
11. a stout person.
12. a garment size designed for a stout man.
13. a garment, as a suit or overcoat, in this size.

While some of these definitions dont fit the CD, for obvious reasons, most do apply! This is one impressive album guys!!!! GREAT JOB *applause*

I like Opeth. Comparisons are cool. Saying they influence us is false.

Yeah I think that's the point that people are missing. I don't even care if people say, "Opeth and ND are similar, but I like Opeth better." That's fine too, that's just a matter of personal opinion. But we're not influenced by them, and we don't try to copy them. That's not a matter of opinion, it's fact. We just happen to draw alot of from the same well of influences that those dudes have, we are about the same age and grew up inspired by the same old musicians so it happens, yknow?

I think Kleo's last post should be the quote of the month, because that definitely seems to be how alot of these people think!

Steve,
Understood, but keep in mind, the majority of younger readers who read these magazines have no idea who CAMEL, KING CRIMSON, YES, etc are. Also, to them, Scorps first broke on the scene with ROCK YOU LIKE A HURRICANE. OBviously, they are going to reference newer bands in reviews.

While I am sure it can be annoying for the band, I would find it hard to believe that the mere mention of OPETH didn't result in quite a few younger metalheads checking out ND.

Your right. I was lucky enough to have a brother that was 16 years older than me and the 60's and 70's rock was always something I was exposed to. But if I was really into a band, I'd would definitely be looking into what influenced them.
But who needs reviewers anyway. To help me decide to rip this off 1st or 2nd?

I'm currently reading Rudy Sarzo's biography "Off The Rails", and throughout the book he reprints many of the concert and album reviews that Ozzy and Randy Rhoads received back in the day, and most of them are really negative. It's funny to read all the shit that these critics have to say about them, knowing now that Ozzy and Randy are some of the most influential and legendary people in the music scene. I also laughed when I saw how often the writers would get the band member's names wrong and the songtitles wrong and make these band generalisations and comparisons.......seems not too much has changed over time eh? LOL

Your right. I was lucky enough to have a brother that was 16 years older than me and the 60's and 70's rock was always something I was exposed to. But if I was really into a band, I'd would definitely be looking into what influenced them.
But who needs reviewers anyway. To help me decide to rip this off 1st or 2nd?

I agree with you 100%
The problem with a lot of younger fans is that they don't dive deeper even into a band's catalog. I am sure there are a lot of younger Opeth fans who never even heard Orchid or Morningrise, and who never checked out directly related bands, such as Bloodbath and Katatonia.

I really enjoy this album.

It seems that there is a lot more depth and more to pick apart musically in it.

That makes for an enjoyable listening experience for me. Gets me coming back to songs to see what I missed before.

It seems that there is a lot more depth and more to pick apart musically in it.

That makes for an enjoyable listening experience for me. Gets me coming back to songs to see what I missed before.

Agreed, something I felt Novella lacked, it certainly seems more nuanced to me, which is cool :headbang:

I'm currently reading Rudy Sarzo's biography "Off The Rails", and throughout the book he reprints many of the concert and album reviews that Ozzy and Randy Rhoads received back in the day, and most of them are really negative. It's funny to read all the shit that these critics have to say about them, knowing now that Ozzy and Randy are some of the most influential and legendary people in the music scene. I also laughed when I saw how often the writers would get the band member's names wrong and the songtitles wrong and make these band generalisations and comparisons.......seems not too much has changed over time eh? LOL

that is pritty funny, you never know, maybe another 10 years or so and you guys will be remembered better than Opeth :lol:

Well, I know it has been a while since I have posted here, however, I finally got around to picking up the new November's Doom album (at FYE, nonetheless, haha) and, wow, I am floored by it! - I am, admittedly, only familiar with The Novella Reservoir album outside of Into Night's Requeim Infernal, however, I'd say I like the new album twice as much as The Novella Reservoir ... I am quite glad I've decided to venture further into the grand music of November's Doom, it is a treat indeed! :) There is a vast amount of emotional depth, in addition to a lot of musical variance, however, the album still feels very consistent and coherent whilst never becoming stagnant; love at first listen, indeed!

I admit it - when I first heard "The Fifth Day of March", I wasn't immediately in love with it. It had a nice melody, but I kind of ignored it.

With repeated listens, I now count this among my favorite ND tunes. The melody is extremely haunting, and the vocals/lyrics in the chorus give me chills! Such emotion and honesty...Paul putting his heart out there for everyone to see again, which is one of the things that drew me to your music in the first place. It is now to the point that I can't get the song out of my head, I'm pratically obsessed with it.

This line in particular gets to me..."words just can't begin to say, just how much we've lost"...I can relate...

Putting on a few tracks from the album for the first time in a couple of months, and I have to say the title track has Paul's best growls evar.

This new review from Metal Archives confuses me on many levels.

Perhaps because alot of it doesn't make sense? LOL

I'm just sorry that people seem to think that because I don't play fast technical leads then that means they're boring and lackluster. I guess if I threw in much more fancy technical riffing it would impress more people....but I'd get no inspiration from it whatsoever. I'll stick to playing what makes me happy, sorry.

And no matter how heavy or how soft we sound, we've always focused on writing memorable, catchy songs first and foremost. So this theory that we're focusing more on "brutality" than songwriting is false.

I think it's really funny how people's perceptions and such can affect the listening experience. Everyone is so on this kick of thinking "omg they've gone so death metal" that I think it really affects the way they hear stuff. Like when people talk about how Novella Reservoir was so fast and so straight forard death metal, etc......sure, it definitely had those moments, but what about Twilight Innocence, They Were Left To Die, Leaving This, or even the title track?? Those songs are fast, straightfoward, death metal? Any of those songs could've possibly fit on one of our previous albums. Same with this new cd, there's faster stuff, more brutal stuff, and then there's mellow stuff, doomy stuff, etc. We've always strived to present a nicely balanced mix of moods and sounds on our cds, so why do people continue to just make such biased generalisations??

I'm glad to see Sasha receive praise, at least.

Got the album this week, first listen today and I love it! On initial hearing, it's got all the elements the band is known for with a few new twists, the riffs and melodies are memorable, the lyrics are thought-provoking as usual, and the playing and singing is excellent and shows that the ND are the kind of band that cares about developing their craft. Looking forward to repeat listens :D

Perhaps because alot of it doesn't make sense? LOL

I'm just sorry that people seem to think that because I don't play fast technical leads then that means they're boring and lackluster. I guess if I threw in much more fancy technical riffing it would impress more people....but I'd get no inspiration from it whatsoever. I'll stick to playing what makes me happy, sorry.

And no matter how heavy or how soft we sound, we've always focused on writing memorable, catchy songs first and foremost. So this theory that we're focusing more on "brutality" than songwriting is false.

I think it's really funny how people's perceptions and such can affect the listening experience. Everyone is so on this kick of thinking "omg they've gone so death metal" that I think it really affects the way they hear stuff. Like when people talk about how Novella Reservoir was so fast and so straight forard death metal, etc......sure, it definitely had those moments, but what about Twilight Innocence, They Were Left To Die, Leaving This, or even the title track?? Those songs are fast, straightfoward, death metal? Any of those songs could've possibly fit on one of our previous albums. Same with this new cd, there's faster stuff, more brutal stuff, and then there's mellow stuff, doomy stuff, etc. We've always strived to present a nicely balanced mix of moods and sounds on our cds, so why do people continue to just make such biased generalisations??

I'm glad to see Sasha receive praise, at least.

I know what you mean about the leads. I have said it before, I love you're soloing, and dont get why people cant understand that there is a time and place for everything. Shreading wouldn't really fit youre music (except maybe Lazzurouse Regret) I know from my personal playing that I LOVE to shred when Im just jamming, but it rairly if ever fits my writing, one of my slowest leads is on one of my most technical songs.

A guitar solo for me is something that should be able to be hummed, or sang, in the same way that the vocal melodies of the song can be. Or rather, I feel that's the case for ND's music, at least. I have sat down and demoed solo ideas when writing songs and tried to throw faster shredder type solos in there, and they sound silly to me. Perhaps other people would say "oh that's awesome!" But to me it doesn't sound right and I'd feel silly doing it. I think the closest thing to a more technical solo would be like what Swano played on "Dark World Burden", which was very tasteful yet more complex. I'm not against doing something like that again myself, but it'll happen when the right song and everything comes along.

As for people who think our rhythm guitar stuff is simple or basic, well......all I can say there is that 95% of the time when I've watched other people try to learn our songs and play them, they almost always play it wrong, and they leave out tons of nuances that really make a difference. Sometimes the beauty of writing is when you play something that's actually a bit tricky and involved but make it seem simple.

Most reviews are pointless. It's up to the ears, and not the eyes, and their ears hear something that ours do not (which makes our opinions better of course). Hence, what they write isn't what we hear as people who have listened to this band for years. I hear the quality that goes into each recording every time I put a cd in the player, or hear the songs live. To me, it seems reviews are written without much substance, unless someone takes the time to listen to a cd more than once to put words on the internet or in a magazine. Always trust your ears, and not their words. I had to put my two cents into this, and now back to my boring accounting homework lol. Hope everyone is doing well.

A guitar solo for me is something that should be able to be hummed, or sang, in the same way that the vocal melodies of the song can be. Or rather, I feel that's the case for ND's music, at least. I have sat down and demoed solo ideas when writing songs and tried to throw faster shredder type solos in there, and they sound silly to me. Perhaps other people would say "oh that's awesome!" But to me it doesn't sound right and I'd feel silly doing it. I think the closest thing to a more technical solo would be like what Swano played on "Dark World Burden", which was very tasteful yet more complex. I'm not against doing something like that again myself, but it'll happen when the right song and everything comes along.

As for people who think our rhythm guitar stuff is simple or basic, well......all I can say there is that 95% of the time when I've watched other people try to learn our songs and play them, they almost always play it wrong, and they leave out tons of nuances that really make a difference. Sometimes the beauty of writing is when you play something that's actually a bit tricky and involved but make it seem simple.

EXACTLY!! there is a time and place for everything, when Im listening to slayer, i expect a fast shredy solo, if im listening to slower, darker stuff I want emotion! there is a reason I rate david gilmore higher then yengwie malmstine. there are some rare casses where you have fast AND emotional solos, like the solo in mastodons The Czar.

I love both Gilmour and Yngwie. Both have their merits and place. I just have a hard time picturing Yngwie leads in ND music, haha. But who knows, never say never!

Mastodon are a good example of a band who mix things up perfectly.