Fan Reviews & "Into Night's Requiem Infernal" discussion

Well hey, it was certainly worth the wait to finally get that review from MetalSucks wasn't it? LOFL

Just wait 'til I finally write a disc full of only "cheesy" mellow songs so I can "trip" all over myself as I run to shove the disc up his anus.

As soon as I saw the first part of the review, once again focusing on how we have "doom" in the band name (YAWN.) I knew it was gonna be a stellar bit of journalism, lol.

Well hey, it was certainly worth the wait to finally get that review from MetalSucks wasn't it? LOFL

Just wait 'til I finally write a disc full of only "cheesy" mellow songs so I can "trip" all over myself as I run to shove the disc up his anus.

As soon as I saw the first part of the review, once again focusing on how we have "doom" in the band name (YAWN.) I knew it was gonna be a stellar bit of journalism, lol.

I ALMOST didn't post it, but you know, for ever CD, I post every review, good or bad. What sicks to someone may be loved by someone else.

I guess I just used to the backhanded compliments now. haha

It's a good example of how even a so called "good" review can suck, just like a so called "bad" review can be respectfully regarded when written well and still informative. Just so people don't think we bitch only when a review is negative, lol.

Oh well, glad they reviewed it nonetheless.

I have finally been able to give it multiple complete listenings.

Let me first say.....HELL YEAH!!!

I really enjoyed Novella. My only complaint is that it was not terrbily varied from Pale Haunt. In fact, it was a perfect follow up.

I think you guys have progressed and stretched yourselves a lot more with the new release!

The opening riff has been stuck in my head for days! Very Piggy-esque!

My fav tracks are the title track, Eulogy For The Living Lost (the clean vocal passages remind me of mid-era VoiVod for some reason), Empathy's Greed, Lazarus Regret, and I Hurt Those I Adore. Nothing against the others. All solid. Just the ones I listed stuck out the most to me.

I am sure when time permits, I will draft a formal review.
For now, let me just end by saying MAJOR kudos for another dark metal masterpiece which displays further evolution of the band's sound. This is extremely refreshing in today's scene, where many long running bands release the SAME album over and over.

Rating: 7/10
Terrorizer

Now in their twelfth year, and with only vocalist Paul Kuhr remaining from the original line-up, Chicago's Novembers Doom slowly but surely evolved from the simple 'cut and paste' of the early 90's British doom/death invasion to a more refined and subtle mix of goth, melodic death metal, doom and prog. On album number seven they have now totally achieved the kind of slick, focused and well-written mid-period Opeth/Katatonia mix Daylight Dies have been helplessly trying to nail down for years. They might wear their influences on their sleeve - indeed similarities between Kuhr and Mikael Akerfeldt is sometimes too strong to be ignored, especially since Novembers Doom have been working with Opeth producer Dan Swano for three albums. Still they've avoided both self indulgence and mindless aping, and the fact that they have come with their own 'Damnation' pocket sized acoustic ditty ('fifth day of march') and have still got a away with it speaks volumes about their talent.

Wow... Way to do homework. 20 years. Not 12. See, putting us at 20 years old, would but us in the same birth age as the "early 90's British doom/death invasion". Sorry guys, your big 3 weren't the ONLY bands doing that style from day one. Some of us on this side of the pond were right there as well.

Rant over. :lol:

and the fact that they have come with their own 'Damnation' pocket sized acoustic ditty ('fifth day of march') and have still got a away with it speaks volumes about their talent.

Oh god...I feel so bad for you guys at moments like this...and at the same time, that made me laugh quite frecking hard.

Ugh what a bunch of shit. Fucking comments about us ripping of Opeth never end. For the record, the parts I had written for Fifth Day of March were influenced by Talamasca, a progressive metal band from Wisconsin not Opeth or Pink Floyd.

Well my parts in "Fifth Day Of March" were quite surely influenced by Pink Floyd as anyone can probably tell haha.

Yeah, just a note to guys on here like Lateralus and some of the others who wonder why we grind our teeth when Opeth or MDB get mentioned in the same breath as us......read the above Terrorizer review and you'll understand exactly what it is that gets under our skin.

Opeth are GREAT, extremely talented and good guys. But Paul has been mixing growls and clean vocals for years before any of us in this band even heard of Opeth. And the acoustic/mellow songs and interludes date all the way back to the first ND cd which was written and recorded in 1994. Using Opeth as a point of reference when reviewing us, so as to let people know what kind of general style we are, is perfectly fine and it makes sense. Claiming that we're wearing our "influence" on our sleeves is just incorrect.....at least in terms of who they're claiming to be our influences. Are my Pink Floyd influences obvious?? Absolutely, and thats why when that's been mentioned in reviews, I've had no objections because it's an accurate statement. But as Paul said, when people don't do their homework and realise that we've been doing what we've been doing for so many years and we coexisted with the bands they're claiming we "copy and pasted" from, that really just gets tired for us. In the modern age with the internet and band websites and Wikipedia and all that, there's really no reason to be that ignorant of the facts.

For as much as the other guys in the band have issues with these comparisons, I AM THE GUY who has co-produced 4 of the last 5 Novembers Doom albums. In case it isn't known, I will let you in on a little secret. I don't OWN an Opeth CD. I have only ever heard 1 disc by them (maybe 2 years ago, and I am told it was an older release), and I wouldn't know a song title nor recognize anything by them if it was being played. I have never heard a My Dying Bride song, other than seeing them live at Graspop last summer. Perhaps those who dig a bit deeper will recognize that the comparisons are surface only. If someone suggested in the studio that we get a tone, or use an idea similar to these bands on their CDs, I wouldn't have a clue where to begin. I recognize that these groups have achieved much success and I don't mean at all to diminish their accomplishments, I just find myself into other styles of music and I don't search out stuff like that. Beyond all these discussions of who copied who, or who did what first ... I don't think anyone can deny that on MY end... the ideas that come about in the studio and on the material are a reflection of what I want to hear, and what suits the songs best... not trying to copy something I've never even heard.

I think the similarities are basic stuff.....the way Paul and Mike do the clean/guttural vocals back n forth....the clean sections mixed with heavy sections......alot of 6/8 time signatures.....I mean I can definitely see where someone who is into Opeth can say "I like this band because they are in a somewhat similar vein...." and I think that's cool. I'm more than happy to keep company in someone's cd collection next to great bands like Opeth, Katatonia, MDB, etc., it's an honor.

Psh, whatever! With your next cd I envision you guys creating your own 'Ghost Reveries' pocket sized ditty. You're almost caught up with your main influence guys! A few more copy and pastes and you'll be golden!

=)

Sorry...

This same discussion seems to pop up every few months, so I COMPLETELY understand why you guys are a little put off by the constant comparisons, claims of ripping off, etc. If I were in your shoes, I'd be irritated by it! Big time! It's become cliche, comparing bands to Opeth. You guys are just the tip of the iceberg, these days the Opeth comparisons run rampant, and for the most part, it's just ridiculous and totally unjustified. TBH, I commend you guys for handling it with the grace that you do, and not flipping out! Enough is enough!!! :p

Remember kids... if there's an acoustic, some 60's/70's prog-rock influence, or growl-to-clean vocal swappage YOU RIPPED OFF OPETH.

I did an interview in 1988 for Deathfully Yours Fanzine and cover tunes came up. I said we would do a KING CRIMSON tune. This was in 1988 while I was in Novembers Doom. If we would of done "In The Wake Of Posiedon" then, this wouldn't be a topic now.
On the 1st album I was influenced by the Scorpions guitarist Uli Jon Roth on many riffs. "Amour" is an example taken from the end of "Yellow Raven".

Opeth take from Camel a lot. "Mystic Queen" is an example of this.

Steve,
Understood, but keep in mind, the majority of younger readers who read these magazines have no idea who CAMEL, KING CRIMSON, YES, etc are. Also, to them, Scorps first broke on the scene with ROCK YOU LIKE A HURRICANE. OBviously, they are going to reference newer bands in reviews.

While I am sure it can be annoying for the band, I would find it hard to believe that the mere mention of OPETH didn't result in quite a few younger metalheads checking out ND.