Intonation question.

clarbaden

Jan 26, 2009
Hi guys, Iv just intonated my guitar. when I change tunings or strings will that affect intonation?

Tuning shouldn't matter as that's based on tension, intonation is the positions of the nut, frets and saddle.

I'd always intonate when changing strings, it doesn't take too long to do just do it after you stretch and tune them.

One thing though, if you're using alternate tunings for a long period of time check your truss rod and adjust that if necessary you can find some guides on adjusting the truss rod.

Change strings one at a time so there's never more than one string off the guitar at a time. Keeps the tension mostly intact so it's not to much of a change for the guitar. Still good to check it afterward though.

Change strings one at a time so there's never more than one string off the guitar at a time. Keeps the tension mostly intact so it's not to much of a change for the guitar. Still good to check it afterward though.

I´ve always heard this but I´ve also seen so many guys saying that´s a myth. Maybe if you leave the strings out for a week you´ll have issues, but not for the 20 minutes it could take you to change strings. That´s what I´ve heard, but I still always change them one by one :lol:

Can anyone shed some light on this?

If you're changing strings like for like ie they have the same tension you shouldn't need to intonate the guitar again. It's easy enough to check with your tuner. Changing tuning will impact the intonation because you are changing the scale length of the strings. You'll notice that bridge saddles tend to be further away from the neck because the lower the pitch the longer the scale length. Depending on how radical you go with your tuning you should be able to get way it. I often drop the lowest string down a whole tone and can get away with it but the intonation is slightly out. You can negate some of this using heavier strings.

I do change the string one at a time (two actually). If you gently push on the back of you headstock you'll see just how flexible it is. If you work out just how much tension is actually applied by all those strings it's quiet a lot. Though I'm not convinced that taking all the strings off will cause any damage, I do think it is enough to unsettle a neck. That mean I have to check and re-check the action and intonation over and over again. If I keep the tension as close as possible to full strung and setup the way I want it ie by changing string one at a time, I find that everything stays where it should be.