Intonation

I play in Dropped C and if I don't use a custom set of strings (my low E string is a bass string) then I can't hit correct intonation.
Changing strings does work, you just have to get the right size. There is actually math behind it.

Or buy a new bridge. I bought one for my baritone that has extended adjustment saddles... It was the only thing that would work for it.

And in addition to what was said before about the truss adjustment, bridge height also affects intonation. Just a thought.

If you have to use a bass string for tuning down to Dropped C without loosing intonation, there is definitely something wrong with your guitar.

If you have to use a bass string for tuning down to Dropped C without loosing intonation, there is definitely something wrong with your guitar.

Nah it actually makes sense when you do the math. I can't believe that some people get away with using such low gauges sometimes.

Here is why I use the big strings- Because it's proper.
I wish I still had the formula to show you guys. Try googling for it.... You factor in your scale length, and what tuning it is going to be in, and it will tell you what string size you need to hit correct tension(there are actually two tensions you have to worry about, individual and total). So you have to have a ballpark number for what tension you want, which will be different for every guitar and player.

But just to give an example-
You have a 25.5" scale guitar.
You want to play in dropped C
You want a nice standard tension of around 26lbs on the C string(not too flabby yet still bendable)
You would have to use a 70 or a 71 to hit that tension.

Compare that to if you wanted standard tuning, you would want a 53 for the E string to hit that tension.

So if you look at the math, a bass string on the low string isn't very odd at all, and is actually the correct way to do a lower tuning.

My droped C guitar gauges are as follows, in case anyone wants to try it out-
13, 18, 23, 35, 47, 70

But, if lower tension and lower gauges work for you, then I'm not going to say don't do it. My whole point is that the way I do it isn't wrong either.

Dude, 26 lbs of tension??? I mean, whatever works for you, but 16-17 is what I prefer, so in comparison that seems massively overkill! (and for reference, D'addario says that a .46 tuned to E has around 17.5 lbs of tension, and even that's a bit much IMO - they don't specify what scale length, however, but I'm guessing 25.5") But yeah, 12-56 in C-standard for me! (I used to like a .54, but having to slightly detune it got tiring so I manned up, at least relatively speaking :D) Really though, the reason I like (comparatively) lighter tensions is mainly for bending and more importantly for ease of a good controlled vibrato...

Dude, 26 lbs of tension??? I mean, whatever works for you, but 16-17 is what I prefer, so in comparison that seems massively overkill! (and for reference, D'addario says that a .46 tuned to E has around 17.5 lbs of tension, and even that's a bit much IMO - they don't specify what scale length, however, but I'm guessing 25.5") But yeah, 12-56 in C-standard for me! (I used to like a .54, but having to slightly detune it got tiring so I manned up, at least relatively speaking :D) Really though, the reason I like (comparatively) lighter tensions is mainly for bending and more importantly for ease of a good controlled vibrato...

17 is way low IMO.... Any one with a heavy right hand would have a hard time with that. Like I said though, whatever works for you than go with it!

Nah it actually makes sense when you do the math. I can't believe that some people get away with using such low gauges sometimes.

Here is why I use the big strings- Because it's proper.
I wish I still had the formula to show you guys. Try googling for it.... You factor in your scale length, and what tuning it is going to be in, and it will tell you what string size you need to hit correct tension(there are actually two tensions you have to worry about, individual and total). So you have to have a ballpark number for what tension you want, which will be different for every guitar and player.

But just to give an example-
You have a 25.5" scale guitar.
You want to play in dropped C
You want a nice standard tension of around 26lbs on the C string(not too flabby yet still bendable)
You would have to use a 70 or a 71 to hit that tension.

Well, i do work as a guitar tech, and a 70 would give you 26lbs in C.. and thats about equal as having an e-tuned guitar with a 12-53 set, and you really dont need more tension then you get from a 11-49 set, which equals ~20lbs in tension, which means that you should use a 62 for C-tuning.
If you loose intonation with thinner strings then a 70, your bridge has been placed incorrectly on the guitar, OR that the neck was faulty fretted.. im assuming that you compensate the string tension by adjusting the trussrod?