Iron Maiden finishes recording new album

nomisofsiman

Sep 19, 2008
Wheaton, IL
I wasn't expecting them to finish recording this soon. I'm eager to listen to this. I actually really liked their last album, but not so much the previous 2 before it.

"British heavy metal legends IRON MAIDEN have completed the recording process for their new album at Compass Point Studios in Nassau, Bahamas with producer Kevin Shirley. According to a posting on Kevin's official web site, "There's still work to do, but the band portion is complete and in the can, so to speak."

Shirley previously worked on the last three MAIDEN albums — 2000's "Brave New World", 2003's "Dance of Death" and 2006's "A Matter of Life and Death".

The next IRON MAIDEN album will be the band's fifteenth studio record, and they face a challenge to follow up "A Matter of Life and Death", which was received well critically and saw the group play the whole album on tour.

Speaking at last year's premiere of the band's documentary film "Iron Maiden: Flight 666", guitarist Adrian Smith stated, "There's always a bit of pressure to follow up the last album, in a way it's good because it motivates you.

"We never get complacent; we always try our best for our own sake as much as anything else. As far as pressure for another album, we just do what we do — we've been doing it long enough now, we know what we're doing. [laughs]"

IRON MAIDEN guitarist Janick Gers revealed to BBC News in November that the band was on its way "to Paris for three weeks to work on some new stuff." He added, "The most important thing for a band is to create new music, otherwise you're not valid — you become a parody."

IRON MAIDEN will headline this year's edition of the U.K.'s Sonisphere festival, which will be held Saturday, July 31, 2010 and Sunday, August 1, 2010 at Knebworth.

MAIDEN became the first outfit in history to travel round the world in a customized jet during their "Somewhere Back in Time" tour, as detailed in award-winning movie "Flight 666".

The Boeing 757 carried musicians, crew, gear and guests with singer Bruce Dickinson, a qualified airline pilot, at the controls."

BNW would be my choice as well. Having Bruce back added a freshness to the band .. which in my opinion is now gone again. DoD and AMOLAD have had their moments, but haven't captured my attention nearly as much as BNW. I must admit though .. BNW is not a disc I still spin ... the songs come off to me a bit more monotonous now than they did when it first came out. I think it's those pesky repetetive choruses. As for the new one .. sorry, the excitement level just isn't really there for me.

Britt

WOW, I had no clue they were that close to being done.
The last report I recall indicated they had like 2 songs written.

While I like it, AMOLAD is my least favorite of the last three.

Brave New World was stellar.
Plenty of great tracks off Dance of Death, but doesn't flow well for me as a complete album.

BNW is not a disc I still spin ... the songs come off to me a bit more monotonous now than they did when it first came out. I think it's those pesky repetetive choruses. As for the new one .. sorry, the excitement level just isn't really there for me.
Britt

I feel quite the same about BNW. I liked it a lot when it was released, but never plays it anymore. The "repetitive chorus" thing has been a problem with Maiden for the last 15 years at least though...

Dance of Death is my favorite of the three, and probably in my top 3 or 4 Maiden albums period.

Same here. DoD is an absolutely stellar album.

I have only listened to AMOLAD twice, and have no desire to listen to that album any more. Though I do like the girlie tee I got when I ordered the album. And I thought the album translated much better when I saw it performed live. But I'm still not planning on listening to it again any time soon.

So I hope the new album is better.

WOW, I had no clue they were that close to being done.
The last report I recall indicated they had like 2 songs written.

While I like it, AMOLAD is my least favorite of the last three.

Brave New World was stellar.
Plenty of great tracks off Dance of Death, but doesn't flow well for me as a complete album.

Yeah me too. The last I heard they had begun writing.

I think with me I like AMOLAD because it was a bit different as in it for sure was there most progressive and epic album, and I like that stuff.

Maybe I should listen to Dance of Death again. Maybe it was the fact that it didn't flow well that I absolutely, as hard as it is to say about a Maiden album, HATED that album. Brave New World for me I just sort of thought was, well, boring. There were probably 2 tracks on there I thought was interesting but overall it just seemed pretty bland for a Maiden album.

I am interested to see where they go now, especially after doing that throwback tour. It may have re-energized them.

I think with me I like AMOLAD because it was a bit different as in it for sure was there most progressive and epic album, and I like that stuff.

The problem for me was that, while I thoroughly enjoy the epic side of Maiden, I found that I like it in certain doses only. Throw a couple epic tracks onto an album and they stand out brilliantly, but when the WHOLE ALBUM consists of these songs, it becomes a little stale.

I was hoping Kevin Shirley wasn't going to produce. I can't stand what he has done the last few albums with Maiden. The last album, I had a very hard time hearing Bruce clearly. Such a crappy produced album. I will still buy the new album, but I will long for the days of Martin Birch producing a crystal clear album.

I was hoping Kevin Shirley wasn't going to produce. I can't stand what he has done the last few albums with Maiden. The last album, I had a very hard time hearing Bruce clearly. Such a crappy produced album. I will still buy the new album, but I will long for the days of Martin Birch producing a crystal clear album.

I totally agree! Martin Birch WAS their best producer imho:headbang:
He ALWAYS knew how to get best sound out of Maiden!!!:kickass:

Brave New World all the way over here. In fact it's one of my favorite Maiden albums.

Anyone notice that Brave New World must have been written for Blaze to sing on? It has all the repetitive song lyrics like both X Factor and Virtual XI have. (you hear a lot of this in Blaze's solo work as well). This 3 album period may be my favorite Maiden period. That being said, I am just as big of Maiden with either Bruce or Blaze singing.

I like the last three albums, although DoD is my favorite. But I think that the Bruce solo stuff is even better than the three albums Maiden has released since the reunion:
Accident of Birth>Brave New World
The Chemical Wedding>Dance of Death
Tyranny of Souls>A Matter of Life and Death