Iron Maiden Songs in Rock Band

A7

Live to Win
Feb 9, 2008
Makati, Philippines
www.myspace.com
A week or so ago, I asked Linda if she's tried the game Rock Band. She hasn't yet, but she'd like to give it a shot. Sara and Heather told me they've tried the game and they thought it was fun.

Too bad the game doesn't use the original song. At least the vocals on this one are more tolerable than those on "The Trooper" on Guitar Hero II.

XBOX 360 and PS3 owners have the advantage of downloading more songs, including this cover of "The Number of the Beast." Unfortunately, it's easily the worst cover of an Iron Maiden song ever recorded.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p172Sh3LC7Q]Click at your own risk![/ame]

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, Linda. It's great to see you and the Maidens here.

Here's the Guitar Hero III version of "The Number of the Beast." What makes this superior to the Rock Band version is that it uses the master recordings instead of some crappy cover version.

And just when I thought Rock Band's version of "The Number of the Beast" was the worst cover of an Iron Maiden song, I was wrong. This is "Wrathchild," from Guitar Hero Encore: Rocks the 80s. Play at your own risk.

This also always bothered me. I find the Rock Band covers more unbearable though. What exactly is the point in putting in covers?

Good friend of mine, her bro is a drummer. They put Rock Band on top level difficulty and he drumed through songs he'd never even heard of with perfect scores hehe.

I would wager that it's much less expensive to make a cover version of the song and license that than to license the original band's recording. Oh well - better than no Maiden at all!!

Yes, the cost of the master recording is one reason why covers were necessary. But then again, if Harmonix received support from five record labels during the production of Rock Band, why wouldn't they be able to afford the original Iron Maiden recordings?

Here's my current setup:

equipment01.jpg

Guitar Hero III Kramer Striker Wireless Guitar Controller
- Custom "tidal wave" skin (just to look different from the plain black look).
- First Act guitar strap (because the one that comes with it sucks).
- More responsive and durable than the flimsy Rock Band Fender Stratocaster controller.

Rock Band Drum Kit
- Reportedly based on a Roland drum machine design (their logo appears on the game's website).
- Drum sticks have the Rock Band and Ludwig logos imprinted on them. Supposedly manufactured by Vic Firth (whose logo also appears on the game's website). If your sticks break, Linda suggests a pair of 5A or 5B.
- Fitted with colored foam pads to reduce noise while playing.
- Pedal modified with Pedal Metal aluminum reinforcement kit. Many users had theirs break in two after just a few hours of play, so I wanted to make sure mine won't.
- Unfortunately, I don't have a throne available. That'll come soon.

Rock Band Microphone
- Since it's fatter than a stock mic, I had to buy a ProLine universal mic clamp for it.
- Mounted on a RadioShack black tripod mic stand.
- Now all I need is a feather boa wrapped around it so I can do the Steven Tyler thing. :lol:

My setup is just normal for people who have Guitar Hero or Rock Band. If you want insane, you wouldn't believe this:

Rock Band Stage Kit ($99.99)

BTW: more than not, RB has original versions, not covers :)
Gona pick up RB probably tonight. It's a freaking blast with friends, and well what can I say, I wanna be a drummer jr :D

Rock Band Drum Kit
- Reportedly based on a Roland drum machine design (their logo appears on the game's website).
- Drum sticks have the Rock Band and Ludwig logos imprinted on them. Supposedly manufactured by Vic Firth (whose logo also appears on the game's website). If your sticks break, Linda suggests a pair of 5A or 5B.
- Pedal modified with Pedal Metal aluminum reinforcement kit. Many users had theirs break in two after just a few hours of play, so I wanted to make sure mine won't.

still looks like simon to me. plays more like a real drumkit than the guitars tho and it's fun!! when it has a high hat and cymbals that's really gonna be a great teaching tool paired w/the video game. we're gonna see alot more kick ass drummers on the scene huh.

Too me, it makes more sense to practice your favorite songs with a real guitar and a real kit... *shrug*

I agree. I have Guitar Hero 1 and 2 - yes they are fun games to play with your friends but I've never gotten how people get so obsessed with trying to get 100% on expert playing Raining Blood etc. They'd be better spending their time learning to play it for real.

I agree. I have Guitar Hero 1 and 2 - yes they are fun games to play with your friends but I've never gotten how people get so obsessed with trying to get 100% on expert playing Raining Blood etc. They'd be better spending their time learning to play it for real.

I couldn't agree more. There are certain songs I practice just to get a 5-Star rating on Medium (sorry, I don't have time to practice on Hard or Expert). And if you think too many people are obsessed with mastering Slayer's "Raining Blood," that's nothing compared to DragonForce's "Through the Fire and Flames."

Thank you thank you! So awesome! Kasey Casem baby! The voice of shaggy

Journey Escape was better on Intelivision though.

I remember hangin at the waterslide park with all the older heshers putting your quarter up on the game to mark your spot. Carnival, Journey, Tempest, Defender, Space Invaders. When your 10 years old, 14 year old heshers on Redlines and Diamond Backs are pretty scary!

Here's my current setup:

equipment01.jpg

Guitar Hero III Kramer Striker Wireless Guitar Controller
- Custom "tidal wave" skin (just to look different from the plain black look).
- First Act guitar strap (because the one that comes with it sucks).
- More responsive and durable than the flimsy Rock Band Fender Stratocaster controller.

Rock Band Drum Kit

Rock Band Microphone
- Since it's fatter than a stock mic, I had to buy a ProLine universal mic clamp for it.
- Mounted on a RadioShack black tripod mic stand.
- Now all I need is a feather boa wrapped around it so I can do the Steven Tyler thing. :lol:

My setup is just normal for people who have Guitar Hero or Rock Band. If you want insane, you wouldn't believe this:

Rock Band Stage Kit ($99.99)

Like the Mustangs and Camaros on the top! The first 2 cars I owned!:headbang: