Irving Plaza NEW YORK

I am also interested in hearing the Irving Plaza show. I wasn't able to go and I want to hear what I missed. How is the quality of the recording?

GabrielKnight said:
Of course we are interested! :) Do you mind putting it into MP3 format and sharing on the Ultimetal DC hubs? This is the easiest way to distribute it, and anyone will be able to get a copy.

-GK

I don't want to sound like a snob, but i don't share out any of my recordings in mp3 format and would hope that no one else would either. I think i'll create a thread for a blanks and postage offer so people can get their hands on the recording. If anyone wants to share it in the hub, thats cool, just stick to a lossless format (like ape, shn or flac).

The sound quality is pretty ok, i used a pair of decent mics from soundprofessionals, a battery box to power them and a portable dat recorder. You can hear everything well, the bass is a bit bloated, just like it was at the venue.

gloco said:
I don't want to sound like a snob, but i don't share out any of my recordings in mp3 format and would hope that no one else would either. I think i'll create a thread for a blanks and postage offer so people can get their hands on the recording. If anyone wants to share it in the hub, thats cool, just stick to a lossless format (like ape, shn or flac).
How about sharing it on a hub in a lossles format of your choice? Do you have a high-speed Internet connection?

gloco said:
Hi Everyone,

I was at Irving Plaza too and got to tape both Moonspell and Opeth. I'm starting to make some copies for some people to spread it out and was wondering if anyone on this forum would be interested, lemme know, thanks.

gloco
Hey gloco! I didn't know you came 'round these parts at all...

This is MadeInNewJersey, btw. How'd your recording come out? I don't mean to brag, but mine came out seriously good.

For everyone else that asked...email me offline. I will set up trades and such.

GabrielKnight said:
How about sharing it on a hub in a lossles format of your choice? Do you have a high-speed Internet connection?
If anyone is familiar with BitTorrent and specifically, the SharingTheGroove.org website, a friend of mine who goes by the name 'Zoltan' will be seeding the Opeth show via BitTorrent within the next 7-10 days or so. I can announce it here if you'd like.

I'd also like to point out that now that gloco and I know we're most likely the only 2 sources out there, it won't be hard to track down if anyone is dumb enough to convert our hard work into MP3.

My recording comes with the specific caveat: DO NOT ENCODE TO MP3.

markgugs said:
If anyone is familiar with BitTorrent and specifically, the SharingTheGroove.org website, a friend of mine who goes by the name 'Zoltan' will be seeding the Opeth show via BitTorrent within the next 7-10 days or so. I can announce it here if you'd like.
Thanx for the offer Mark! Please, an announcement would be greatly appreciated.

markgugs said:
My recording comes with the specific caveat: DO NOT ENCODE TO MP3.
OK, point taken.

markgugs said:

Oh yes! Thanks for the info and I look forward to that seed.

GabrielKnight said:

I'm a bit out of touch with the hubs right now. I don't leave my pc on all day unattended. I am uploading both shows to a newsgroup though, you will be able to find both shows by tomorrow on: alt.binaries.music.shn

Shaved off about 40% of the file size with SHN. Good stuff. I di have a cable modem and pay for giganews, so my upload speeds max at 113KB/sec.

I'm new to this method of getting recorded shows etc..... can one of you please explain to me what i need to do in order to dl the new york show, or any show for that matter.]

-thanks

gloco said:
I'm a bit out of touch with the hubs right now. I don't leave my pc on all day unattended. I am uploading both shows to a newsgroup though, you will be able to find both shows by tomorrow on: alt.binaries.music.shn

Shaved off about 40% of the file size with SHN. Good stuff. I di have a cable modem and pay for giganews, so my upload speeds max at 113KB/sec.
Heh...SHN only compresses to about 75% of the original WAV size, but I know what you mean. For truly small sizes (and still ZERO loss of original sound quality), go with APE. It's the best for compression.

BTW, gloco, I got your PM, that's funny about how yours came out. If mine's lacking anything at all, it's high bass levels, lol. It all comes down to the mics, m'man. The old Sony PCM-62 warhorse I used constantly puts out sweet aural sounds. It helped that I had a 100% ideal position as well. Had to fight my way to it, heh.

Minion520 said:
I'm new to this method of getting recorded shows etc..... can one of you please explain to me what i need to do in order to dl the new york show, or any show for that matter.]

-thanks
For the newsgroup downloading that gloco speaks of (this will obviously be his recording), you need to locate through YOUR ISP how to access the newsgroups. Then just point your way to alt.binaries.music.shn as he pointed out. Try looking on the home page of your ISP for more info (each ISP is different).

For my recording, it will be posted as I mentioned on Sharingthegroove.org as a BitTorrent, which is a unique and highly efficient method of spreading a show to many people at the same time (through a rather complex peer-to-peer file-sharing scenario). For starters, you need to go to http://bt.degreez.net and download/install the latest version of the Shadow Experimental BitTorrent client (v. S-5.8.10). If you're behind a firewall or use a router at all, you're going to have issues with port forwarding and some other small ones, but nothing that's not able to be overcome.

Worst case scenario, you can always set up a B&P (Blanks & Postage) or trade with someone who gets the show via one of the above methods.

markgugs said:
For the newsgroup downloading that gloco speaks of (this will obviously be his recording), you need to locate through YOUR ISP how to access the newsgroups. Then just point your way to alt.binaries.music.shn as he pointed out. Try looking on the home page of your ISP for more info (each ISP is different).

For my recording, it will be posted as I mentioned on Sharingthegroove.org as a BitTorrent, which is a unique and highly efficient method of spreading a show to many people at the same time (through a rather complex peer-to-peer file-sharing scenario). For starters, you need to go to http://bt.degreez.net and download/install the latest version of the Shadow Experimental BitTorrent client (v. S-5.8.10). If you're behind a firewall or use a router at all, you're going to have issues with port forwarding and some other small ones, but nothing that's not able to be overcome.

Worst case scenario, you can always set up a B&P (Blanks & Postage) or trade with someone who gets the show via one of the above methods.

thank you very much, i have downloaded bit torrent how do i go about getting the file now?

Um, you're going to have to wait for it to be seeded. It's gonna take at least 10 days before you see it. I mentioned earlier in the thread that I would post here when it's up and running.

Before I do this, I strongly suggest you go familiarize yourself with the ethics of "sharing the groove" and how to properly work a torrent. www.sharingthegroove.org has a FAQ and basic guide on what's cool and not cool.

I.E. Cool = downloading the show and then keeping your BitTorrent window open to help seed for others.
Not cool = downloading the show and instantly bailing. This is called 'hit-n-running' and is strongly discouraged.