Is a cheap channel strip worth it?

Metaltastic

Feb 20, 2005
Hey dudes, I'm wondering just theoretically whether cheap channel strips like the Focusrite Trakmaster Pro, DBX 286A, Presonus Eureka, etc., are really worth it, when for the same money I'd imagine one could get a higher quality preamp without the bells and whistles of an onboard comp/eq. I mean, what are the chances of really needing to eq/compress the recorded signal rather than just doing so with a plugin afterwards? Compressing maybe would be useful on vox, but I tend to think the money would be much better spent on a higher quality preamp (like a Groove Tubes Brick or True Systems P-Solo). Thoughts?

Hmm, it really comes down to preference. We had a TwinTrak and a VoiceMaster at the studio and we would use them on the way in to compress the vocals. IMO - the Focusrite Platinum series is kinda thin sounding but we have gotten tons of great results from them. I actually think I might get one for my setup because I like the idea of even and compressed vocals being recorded. The only problem is you have to be careful and not overcompress them on the way in, you can always add more compression but you can't take it away :)

~006

Precisely :) Yeah, like I said, it's a little on the thin side by itself, but we got a lot of great results with both units. I've looked at the DBX, Focusrite, PreSonus and even an ART channel strip. The DBX, Focusrite and PreSonus are all in the same price range and I only have experience with the Focusrite. The PreSonus looks good, so does the DBX since it is a tube pre which could be good. Who knows!

~006