Is anyone else...

da.benson8r

Aug 24, 2010
...a little bummed that Gus seems to be associating himself a little more with Ozzy than Firewind? In the videos, interviews and demos that I've been seeing him do recently, not only am I tending to here more Ozzy riffs, but he's calling himself "Gus G. of Ozzy and Firewind." At least to me, when I think Gus G. I think Firewind, first and foremost.

Maybe it's just one of things to me - being Ozzy's guitarist is, of course, probably the greatest guitar spot EVER - but it just makes it seem to me like he's putting what got him there on the backburner a little bit (not that it's a bad thing).

It could be that I'm just overly tired and out of my mind a little bit, but does anyone else think that?

I think he just does it because of the fact that he is most famous and most recognised for his spot with ozzy.
He has assured his fans back when he first joined that Firewind was his band and that he would never leave Firewind behind for any other band including ozzy

True, true. I would have been really bummed if he had actually left Firewind. I guess the publicity is a good thing though, it opens up an entire world of metal listeners to Gus' chops and technique, and probably through that Firewind as well.

I think it's purely PR, and maybe not even his idea to begin with. All of us Gus fans (read: whores such as myself :p ) that knew about him before 2009 already know what the deal is and already know about the level of awesomeness that he displays on a daily basis (especially all of you non-American fans). But seriously, before BlizzCon, who the hell in America even knew who he was? I'm sure all the oblivious Ozzy fans were like, "Wtf happened to Zakk's beard??"

Perhaps Gus is under contractual obligation to refer to himself as being associated with Ozzy first? Who knows? I've heard of stranger stuff in the entertainment industry..

Need not worry: us fans pre-BlizzCon know the real truth. :p

...a little bummed that Gus seems to be associating himself a little more with Ozzy than Firewind? In the videos, interviews and demos that I've been seeing him do recently, not only am I tending to here more Ozzy riffs, but he's calling himself "Gus G. of Ozzy and Firewind." At least to me, when I think Gus G. I think Firewind, first and foremost.

Maybe it's just one of things to me - being Ozzy's guitarist is, of course, probably the greatest guitar spot EVER - but it just makes it seem to me like he's putting what got him there on the backburner a little bit (not that it's a bad thing).

It could be that I'm just overly tired and out of my mind a little bit, but does anyone else think that?

Actually, I would have thought the opposite! Firewind is working on a new album and Ozzy seems to be busy with the Black Sabbath reunion album and tour in 2012, so my guess would be no Ozzy album next year, and no work for Gus with Ozzy.

Just my guess, though.

Rock!

MJM

I think you guys are looking too much into it.. The reason he says he plays in Ozzy Osbourne and Firewind....Is because he plays with Ozzy and Firewind. Zakk did the same thing...Obviously it's backwards for Zakk because he was in Ozzy before BLS, but he always did.

It's self promotion...Who the hell wouldn't say "I play in Ozzy Osbourne" ??. Not to mention that doing so will bring more attention to Firewind, sell more ESP,Blackstar, Seymour Duncan, Elixir etc products.
Firewind IS Gus' band. Period. Ozzy will be doing the Sabbath thing for the next 18-20 months or so, Firewind will release their album and hopefully a tour that comes soon after. It's almost perfect timing. When Sabbath is done, Ozzy can work on his album and Gus will be there. Ozzy usually has a few years between albums anyway.

But seriously, before BlizzCon, who the hell in America even knew who he was? I'm sure all the oblivious Ozzy fans were like, "Wtf happened to Zakk's beard??"

Hahaha, this gave me a good laugh.

But you're right. It did give Gus, and subsequently Firewind, some really big exposure, and I'm really hoping he'll find a way to balance time between the two. He did bring a new energy to Ozzy's music, and I'm excited to see how the time with Ozzy gave him new inspiration for Firewimd material.

Then he'll retire, decide once again that retirement sucks, then go out on another tour and call it the "Retirement REALLY fucking sucks" tour, just like he did in the 90's!