Is buying music even reasonable?

SymphonyXV

Mar 9, 2010
Albany, NY
I was introduced recently to the supposedly magical FLAC and Apple Lossless files that I admit, sound exactly like CD quality to me. However, I feel bad when I torrent music. I know the band doesn't make money off albums anyway, but we all know it takes a lot more people than just the band to make an album see the light of day (promoters, engineers, producers, mixers, guest/studio musicians, artwork designers, etc). When I buy an album from itunes, am I really helping out anyone? Am I a fool for still paying for music?

I despise I-Tunes and Apple in general.

I prefer to have a physical copy of music I purchase. For me, I've stopped buying CDs since 2003 unless the album I want is only available in that format with no hope of another release type. I enthusiastically buy vinyl LPs. They are the most enjoyable, and financially the best investment, in my opinion.

For example:
-You buy an album of 10 songs on iTunes for $10 - 99 cents a song, roughly. This purchase is worth $10, and not being intimate with iTunes, I don't know the details of what happens with transferability, or if you accidentally delete that you can get another copy. If it's totally non-transferable, the purchase is worth $0.
-You buy the same album on CD for $12. This purchase is worth between $3 and $20, maybe $40 pushing it if supply becomes limited. Added bonus of having a tangible, portable disc.
-You buy the LP for $25 to $40. This purchase is worth $5 to $50 typically, and in cases of albums that go out of print, $100, $200, even $800 or more. You get the same bonuses as with a CD and the added bonus of a limited, exclusive item.

Is buying any of these formats reasonable compared with pirating the album? Quite simply, if all of a particular band's fans answer 'no' then that band will stop making music unless they are feeling mighty rich and mighty generous. In fact, it doesn't have to be all of the fans. I estimate that if the swipe-to-buy ratio is higher than 50/50 it's all over with.

When you buy an album in a particular format, you're helping the company that presses in that format. The CD duplication center, the LP press guys, and in the digital case - Apple or another website. Particularly in the digital case - since a digital copy costs next to nothing to "create" (just server space and download bandwidth), paying the same for that as for a physical item which has intrinsic value seems to me to be a poor choice. It also supports the transition to digital media, which I personally do not affiliate with as a primary form of art.

When you buy an album from a particular source, you are supporting that source. That store. If you buy directly from the band, regardless of format, you do the band the most benefit.

I would rather download the music and donate to the band the price of the CD, but unfortunately this facility is quite often unavailable to me.

I hate the music industry and I will do everything I can to avoid fueling it.

Remember that "evil" though they may be, pressing houses, labels, and other accessory outfits besides the band also need to get paid. And while yes, most of the mainstream guys gouge unnecessarily, a band can't pull this off alone. So they need to rely on those guys to promote, press and distribute while the band makes more music. A few bands have taken it upon themselves to do all of the above (Marillion comes to mind) but you really need to achieve a certain status before that becomes viable.

I like buying physical copies. Even for older/used stuff where you know the money won't get back to the band, it's good to support the record store or online dealer who works to make good music from the past available. There are a couple bands who also have my "loyalty" so to speak, like FW or SX, and I'd buy their new stuff right out of the gates.

I don't like iTunes either, but I don't have a rational reason why...I guess I don't like DRM restrictions (unless they removed those?), and I like leafing through booklets and looking at the art when I listen. Either way, music is one of the world's cheapest luxuries (you can enjoy some of the best recordings the human race has to offer without being rich), so there is that to be thankful for, internet or no.

It also supports the transition to digital media, which I personally do not affiliate with as a primary form of art.

Why not?

Because it's ones and zeroes. People admire a skyscraper, not the blueprints used to make it.

Right but I like the digital music because of what I hear the 1's and 0's produce, I don't admire the 1's and 0's

Unless I don't get what you are saying

I usually buy used CD's from amazon.com . I like what you guys said about CD's being used as a backup in case my computer goes out. I just love CD's, and I think they will always be around the same way as vinyl is still around. I heard the government is going to soon charge extra to use different websites anyway (I hear this all the time but does anyone know if it's true?). If that happened, people would definately go back to CD's.

I also agree with what you guys said about the greedy music industry, but you make it seem like the band deserves all the credit for a recording. Like I said, there are so many other people who just want to make a decent living doing what they love, and I have no problem with paying 14.98 or whatever, even though 1 dollar is going to the band. Just stay away from major labels like Sony and Epic and you'll be ok.

Right but I like the digital music because of what I hear the 1's and 0's produce, I don't admire the 1's and 0's

Unless I don't get what you are saying

I think Ken's point is that with metal in particular, visuals are an important aspect. Look at some of the greatest albums of all time in the metal genre and almost without exception there is something about the artwork that strikes you and stays with you. The more a band focuses on the package as a whole, the more it becomes a larger, more important thing than just the sounds that come out. Or rather, when you take away the art, booklet, etc the music looses something important and is degraded to 1's and 0's. Why rob yourself of half the picture?

I'm not going to say I've never downloaded an album and just couldn't enjoy it because i didn't have artwork and lyrics. It's definitely possible, but I've also never encountered an album that I enjoyed LESS because I had the artwork, pictures, and booklet to look through.

my 2 cents on the topic at hand (from someone who downloads a LOT of music) is that it's always worth buying to show support. Any time people can put some of their hard earned money towards something they enjoy will invariably sustain that channel of entertainment somehow, whether it's allowing the label to continue to release albums, the artist to have a bit of financial backing, or any of that. I honestly feel it's up to each individual to choose how they want to support their favorite bands, but its important that everyone do SOMETHING or else it's impossible to continue. Whether you buy a shirt, buy a cd, buy an LP, buy a bootleg mexican lighter and back patch, tell a few people about a band who then become fans and spend their money, go to a show and headbang.... all of these things help. If a cd is no longer worth it to you, buy a shirt or something!

Point is, while physical media may be on the brink of extinction for some of us here, there's ALWAYS ways to support and excuses are never acceptable :devil:

I also agree with what you guys said about the greedy music industry, but you make it seem like the band deserves all the credit for a recording. Like I said, there are so many other people who just want to make a decent living doing what they love, and I have no problem with paying 14.98 or whatever, even though 1 dollar is going to the band. Just stay away from major labels like Sony and Epic and you'll be ok.

Exactly. Most labels that have bands that we all support are people JUST LIKE US! They're fans of metal and music who have found a way to not only make some money and a living, but SHARE THEIR LOVE OF MUSIC WITH OTHER PEOPLE. same with people who run recording studios... shit's expensive for a reason and just like any business, bands and labels have to get back their initial investment before they can really start to turn any profit.

To answer the initial question of "are you a fool to buy from itunes", it really depends on if you feel like you're getting the value you deserve. Personally, i'd rather download an album, save the money and spend it on a show or merch of said band. I don't feel like a download (purchased or illegal) is worth much.

I think Ken's point is that with metal in particular, visuals are an important aspect. Look at some of the greatest albums of all time in the metal genre and almost without exception there is something about the artwork that strikes you and stays with you. The more a band focuses on the package as a whole, the more it becomes a larger, more important thing than just the sounds that come out. Or rather, when you take away the art, booklet, etc the music looses something important and is degraded to 1's and 0's. Why rob yourself of half the picture?

I'm not going to say I've never downloaded an album and just couldn't enjoy it because i didn't have artwork and lyrics. It's definitely possible, but I've also never encountered an album that I enjoyed LESS because I had the artwork, pictures, and booklet to look through.

my 2 cents on the topic at hand (from someone who downloads a LOT of music) is that it's always worth buying to show support. Any time people can put some of their hard earned money towards something they enjoy will invariably sustain that channel of entertainment somehow, whether it's allowing the label to continue to release albums, the artist to have a bit of financial backing, or any of that. I honestly feel it's up to each individual to choose how they want to support their favorite bands, but its important that everyone do SOMETHING or else it's impossible to continue. Whether you buy a shirt, buy a cd, buy an LP, buy a bootleg mexican lighter and back patch, tell a few people about a band who then become fans and spend their money, go to a show and headbang.... all of these things help. If a cd is no longer worth it to you, buy a shirt or something!

Point is, while physical media may be on the brink of extinction for some of us here, there's ALWAYS ways to support and excuses are never acceptable :devil:

I think you make a great point here. Particularly with metal albums, many of the great ones result in a very strong connection to the album artwork. I actually did a research paper once on the marketing importance of having an album with a principal color used in the artwork to make that album readily identifiable (not as relevant these days with the digital revolution). But even going back a ways, many of those Metallica album covers/color schemes speak to the "color" of the music. "...And Justice for All" has a intensely unique sonic landscape, which I have anyways associated with the shaded white cover and liberty statue imagery. The first three Children of Bodom albums may as well be "The Red One" "The Green One" and "The Blue One".

I'm kinda sad that music, and other forms of art are going completely digital.
I feel like an absolute idiot when I buy DVDs/CDs because of it, and I'd much rather feel GOOD about my purchases! Me likey the real deal... :(

I am against the commercialization of music, as in making music for the purpose of generating money. It is not something I want to encourage.
The same goes for the digitization of music, the actual music not how it is delivered - I don't really care much in what form the music is delivered to me as long as the sound isn't audibly affected, but I respect the notion of favoring music delivered in the form of a physical object (especially LPs) with artwork and whatnot. I am grateful to the internet nevertheless because without it my musical world (so to speak) would have been quite limited.

Don't buy commercial shit that's actually hurting music. But if you appreciate an artist's work and can buy it, then by all means do so.

On second thought, it's not the digitalization of music that I deteste, it's the fact that people can get the same format I'd pay for, for free. Albums should be something that you've earned to listen to, and I want to feel proud about the albums I've purchased. If I paid $20 to download an album, and my friend downloaded the same album at the same quality for free, I'd feel duped. I don't like the idea of free albums...