Would you rather pay to download or buy the CD?

Metabop

New Metal Member
Aug 28, 2003
UK
www.blueshiftstudio.com
I'm interested.

IMO the big labels are shooting themselves in the foot by investing in two dimensional music and an unwillingness to develop good long term acts. Many of us are turning to the internet for decent music.

I don't mind supporting the bands by paying for their music, I'm not into ripping them off.

There has been some attempt to make downloadable music available for a small fee such as with itunes from Apple. But I personally like to have a CD with art work etc. in my hands. But then some only want a couple of songs from a band.

How many would rather pay a small fee per download compared to buying the actual CD online (given a reasonable price for each option)?

Metabop said:
I'm interested.

IMO the big labels are shooting themselves in the foot by investing in two dimensional music and an unwillingness to develop good long term acts. Many of us are turning to the internet for decent music.

I don't mind supporting the bands by paying for their music, I'm not into ripping them off.

There has been some attempt to make downloadable music available for a small fee such as with itunes from Apple. But I personally like to have a CD with art work etc. in my hands. But then some only want a couple of songs from a band.

How many would rather pay a small fee per download compared to buying the actual CD online (given a reasonable price for each option)?
If I'm going to be paying for a whole album, I'd rather buy the CD than download it - unless the price per track was absurdly low, like ten pence a go or something.

I just don't like paying for things that don't really exist. I don't buy e-books either.

If the band's site had a streaming, full length version of the songs it would be an easier choice too.

What if there was a three or four song CD single for sale? Would you still rather buy it or would you download the songs in that case?

I download and burn, except for a few fave bands.

Yet, I would pay for mp3's, if and only if, they were very cheap, and they came in a good high quality 320k/b format, easily compatible with my nero cd burner. Ive read that except for the Apple format- most tracks you pay for come in some strange format, that is next to impossible to burn.

Still, for a underground metal fan with very little discretionary spending money like myself, I am not ever going to get in trouble for illegal downloads, as I have no songs that are RIAA represented- so unless this changes, I really dont care about the morality of the whole thing( as the record companies are making all the money on cds- I support bands at their concerts with the little money I have- thats were bands actually make money) , Its still more practical for me to download for free.

Metabop said:
If the band's site had a streaming, full length version of the songs it would be an easier choice too.

What if there was a three or four song CD single for sale? Would you still rather buy it or would you download the songs in that case?
For me, that's different. I don't buy singles, only albums; so I'd buy the album and download any interesting b-sides.

epi5ode666 said:
i'd buy the cd, but mp3's etc allow people to discover newer bands easier

Exactly.

I prefer buying the actual cd...but if it is extremely hard to find, I wouldnt mind paying for it I suppose through mp3's. It better be a lot cheaper though because of the lack of quality and artwork.

I prefer buying all of my cds. I don't even have any burned cds. If I ever burn cds, it's to listen to a band to decide if I like them enough or not, and when I make my decision, I throw it away. Same goes for downloading. If I don't like it, I delete, or once I buy the cd, I delete it.

Metabop said:
I'm interested.

...How many would rather pay a small fee per download compared to buying the actual CD online (given a reasonable price for each option)?
Hands down, I'd rather have the CD. Unless it's something widely unavailable or rare, in which case, if I have vinyl, I'll digitize it myself. I do download things for preview, but if I like it, and I can get it without paying exhorbitant prices, I buy it.

I, too, think the RIAA & its constituents are shooting themselves in the foot, as well as more severe parts of the anatomy, with their behavior..

I'd much rather have the cd, but as I listen to metal music I can't help but question the lyrics. Most of the bands in the metal category talk about things like dethroning God, killing everything in site, questioning and even making fun of organized religion, and things like that. I, as a Christian/Catholic think they're fuckin insane and VERY uneducated in the religious area because bands that wear like upside-down crosses and stuff appear to be 'anti-christ and anti-religious.' however, they don't realize that being that implies that they believe there is a God, and that they are anti-Him. The whole point of those lyrics is plain fuckin stupid, so I'd rather not pay my money to support them. haha so I have a shitload of burned cds. I listen to metal for the backing instrument work like guitar, bass, drums, and anything else that turns up in the mix, not the lyrics.

The way i look at things i consider myself a collector of metal as well as just liking it. In january i shelled out nearly £40 on ebay to have Black Ash Inheritance, a shaped EP by inflames shipped from america. Yeah i had 3 out of the four tracks already on other albums and the one other on MP3 but i just had to have it... My non metal mates think i am mad but its just my thing...
Anyway... must have the CD. Burned or MP3 just doesnt cut it...

//Sirob LeRoi