is cuabse 4 great???

i assume that to prevent people from all getting it 1/2 off they'd want some kind of proof that the buyer is a current student. although i guess they didn't specify if that entails college undergrad, grad, high school, student of kickass metal...

I would wait bro

Just pretend it doesnt exist and use your old version till the bugs are out.

Hi there!

I got C4 as soon as it was available but am very dissapointed and still using SX3 for daily work. C4 runs stable and is all in all resonable bug-free, plugIn drag and drop and the new fx are nice BUT
- I need side chaining and my side-chaining fx are DX - a format which is not supported in C4 anymore, as somebody else pointed out.
- the one monster bug that kill it for me is: sample streaming is broken. It works in realtime but when you freeze a track or mix the song down in offline mode, samples that are streamed off the harddisc by your sampler (be it Kontakt1+2, DFH or Steinbergs very own Halion) get chopped off in the middle.

Personally I think if you got some decent third party plugIns and software instruments there's absolutely zero reason to upgrade to C4. Unless you desperately need the control room feature - I don`t I set different monitor-mixes for the musicians up via fx-sends on the channels and am done with it.

Just my 2cents, YMMV...

there is a way round this direct x problem.!!

one of the many free plugins that was listed on the huuuuuuuuuge by one the kind jocks, is a sort of direct x to vst wrapper!! something rack ... cant remember now.

Genius i use that and wrap it with vst to rtas.. VOILA timeworks master compressor in Pro tools.mint

Well the wrapper is Vincent Burels "FFX-4" - available here:
DX Rack series.
it works with autotune 4.15 for example but my trusty old dB ProComp DX sidechaining plugin causes an insant crash when in the wrapper...

Plus: the sample streaming bug remains... no DFH if you export your mixdown.

you can easily recreate the bug yourself if you use a sampler with streaming...
otherwise more info here:
Cubase.net :: View topic - [Confirmed Bug] - Freezing/Mixdown HALion
and here:
Cubase.net :: Log in
obviously some ingenious people found out that on some samplers you can overcome this trouble by activating the respective "export mode" button.
however this wasn`t necessary in sx 3 and is not available on all samplers.

"The problem is known here and needs to be solved." -Christian Dettner of Steinberg support on Cubase.net