Is Dawn of a New Day a response/answer/sequel to Satellites and Astronauts?

DE4life

Music Theory or GTFO
Mar 18, 2008
UK
I posted this on the neverdying boards, but since some of you guys don't visit there I figured I'd post it up here too and see what you guys think.

Apologies if this has been said before or is generally common knowledge but I've not heard it said before, and as I listened to S&A and Dawn of a New Day back-to-back I had a thought that one might be the sequel of the other. It might originally seem like a dumb idea, but there's a lot in the lyrics and even the musical style to support the thought.

S&A ends with the line "steal my mask and make me pay/I need a new skin I'm going insane"
DoaND opens with "Thoughts of yesterday forgotten, I like the way this new skin feels", almost as a direct answer to the final line of S&A.
S&A talks of going back to yesterday to grow etc. The song in general seems to be about falling: "Lonesome arms/Lost its wings again", and speaks of solitude and a sadness at mistakes made, almost an inability to progress, "Buy me a trip to the moon/So I can laugh at my mistakes", "tell me there are greater things ahead".
DoaND seems to answer a lot of these worries and hopeless thoughts in lines like "thoughts of yesterday forgotten", "I'll rise and I won't trip again", dismissing yesterday by looking forward "bring me splinters of tomorrow/collect the parts where I win". The song seems to be all about looking forward and rising up, whereas S&A was all about looking backwards and feeling like giving up.

Musically, as well, both tracks are pretty laid back. S&A has it's more frantic moments and that epic solo, maybe symbolising the darker nature of the song, where DoaND is the calmer resolution.

Also, in a small but maybe in a small way significant detail... both tracks are number 7 on their respective albums.

I dunno, just coincidence, or did IF intend it this way? Just a random thought ;D

This is an old theory in my experience, but yeah it definitely makes sense. Two of my favourite IF songs as well.

You got me.

Because I was vaguely interested because there's very little discussion of anything regarding In Flames on here aside from whether or not they sold out and how much they suck now compared to the old days.

I was going to stop going into somewhat old threads but then I saw this one.

I doubt In Flames intended exactly. Maybe. Maybe influenced to Dawn by doing Satellites and Astronauts.

Either way they're both great oldschool songs. Dawn Of A New Day seriously stands out of RtR and has a lot of characteristics of old In Flames. It could have been easily fit into ClayMan.

The song can easily be compaired to things like Whoracle's acoustic values and melodies, and Clayman influence (The singing is simular, low deep, like he used to always do, there's some drum machine going on like on bullet ride or clayman(live)).

People say shit like it's "poppy". They obviously are retarded with In Flames' history or something because this song can be easily compaired to old songs like Jester Script Transfigured.

After Reroute In Flames' Melody characteristics weren't really like they were before. Their old melody routine was very swedish influenced and had that "swedish folk" or whatever the hell it is characteristic going on. Dawn Of a New day had is strongly within the song.

The really really closest to the sound now is Alias' acoustic piece. I mean Come Clarity had no influence of the sound really.

Anyways Dawn Of a New day is a great song. It really is something that stands out of RtR, because like a lot of people say, RtR was the begining of In Flames "selling out". I mean I kinda think they did really, no offense, I respect them, some times I just can't stand what they're doing like "why the fuck are you doing this to me" but I really try to respect them. I listen to their new shit sometimes. But Reroute, I actually love reroute that I bought the CD. I've downloaded some songs and when I like it a lot I decide if the album is worth the money. I went to Best Buy and was like "I want Jester Race and Whoracle, maybe Reroute" and I find out the fags don't sell their old stuff except lunar and sub, and I get Reroute, even though I have every fucking song downloaded already from it, I was hoping there would be some nice band pics but no just photo shoots to at least show who the fuck is who for the person who bought the CD. At least I got nice art.