Does Reroute to Remain really appeal to fans of Linkin Park, Slipknot and Korn?

Steve

New Metal Member
Jun 25, 2002
Fairfield, CT (USA)
Many of you have said In Flames are trying to appeal to fans of shitty fake metal bands such as Korn, Sllipknot, and Linkin Park. I have conducted a survey to see how true this is. My target audience? Stupid Teenagers. I played clips of various metal music over a few days to kids at my school, and got some feedback. After asking each if they woulf like to participate in a survey of music, I played some music for them.

First person (female wearing all black, Slipknot shirt, fishnet, hair dyed black, generic goth look, safety pin through her lip)
In Flames - Transparent
Steve: Do You like it?
Answer: No, it's not loud enough. Slipknot is so much better.
Next song:
In Flames - The Jester's Dance
Steve: Do you like this, it's some older stuff.
Answer: It sucks, there's no singing and it sounds like BB Mak! I like real music like Slipknot, real death metal
Steve: You like death metal?
Answer: Yes
Steve: Here's something that you should really like.
Dissection - Where Dead Angels Lie
At this point, during the song, she had a eally weird look on her face, then screamed and took the headphohnes off.
Girl(almost crying): I hate that evil crap!!!!!
Steve: Is that why you claim to be a satanist? Oh, right... real satanists don't make the mistake of wearing pagan pentacles... and they also don't gert dragged along to church by their parents.

Second kid(male, bleached hair, bowl cut, ugly dark olive cargo pants, black 'KoRn' shirt, looks stoned)
In Flames - Cloud Connected
Steve: DO you like this song?
Answer: What the hell is this, happy kids trying to make real metal?
Steve: What do you think of as 'real metal'?
Answer: Korn and Limp Bizkit.
Steve: Maybe you'll like this...
In Flames - Transparent
Steve: Do you like this song?
Answer: I like metal, not this crap.
Steve: Oh, you like Metal, here's something I'm sure you'll love.
In Flames - Episode 666 (Koln '96)
Steve: Does this sound like god metal to you?
Answer: I don't like the bands that try to sound like Slipknot.
Steve: This is from 1996, are you aware that SLipknot wasn't around back then?
Answer: Dude, it sucks.

Third Kid(Male, attempt at a small mohawk, new Slayer shirt, wearing all black, other clothes are 'JNCO' and 'No Fear')
Steve: What type of music do you like?
Answer: Metal
Steve: What type of metal?
Answer, Death Metal, Hardcore shit, shit like that.
In Flames - Transparent
Steve: How do you like this?
Answer: It fucking sucks, the lyrics suck, they don't mean anything.
Steve: What type of lyrics do you like?
Answer: Real ones, like God Hates Us All, but if you listen to shit like this, then you won’t know real music like that.
Steve: The new Slayer music is horrible. They were a lot better ten years ago.
Answer: They weren’t around ten years ago.
Steve: Yes they were.
Answer: Dude, you’re probably thinking of another band. Slayer weren’t around ten years ago.
Steve: Right, try lisening to another song like that one to see if you like it…
Answer: It’s going to suck.
In Flames – Trigger
Steve: Do you like this any more than the last song?
Answer: I hate these fucking wuss bands that can’t write lyrics. They won’t even swear, they’re all the goody good kids who whose parents won’t let them say fuck.
Steve: I think they express themselves in other ways.
Answer: Whatever.
Steve: Want to listen to something a lot different then?
Answer: Don’t waste any more of my time.
Steve: It really is a lot different,.
Answer: OK, but it better not suck.
Dark Tranquillity – Punish My Heaven
Steve: This is a lot better, isn’t it.
Answer: The music is good, but the guy can’t sing. He sounds like he’s going to puke, then he just screams and yells “Punish Nintendo”.
Steve: Actually, he’s saying “Punish My Heaven”.
Answer: Still doesn’t sound like it.
Steve: Trust me, he isn’t saying Nintendo. Want to hear some stuff with a different vocalist?
Answer: OK, but this one better be good.
{I]Hammerfall – The Dragon Lies Bleeding[/I]
Steve: Like this more?
Answer: It’s good, but the chick that’s singing sucks.
Steve(laughing): That’s a guy singing.
Answer: It is? It sounds like a chick most of the time.
Steve: No, It’s a guy.

This made me realize another thing. In Flames don’t swear like all the nu-metal bands do. This is another reason the nu-metal kids won’t like it.

Now I try to get some pop kids who like Linkin Park to listen to RTR. After about a dozen tries, I get one person to Listen to RTR.

First Linkin Park Kid (female, wearing Linking Park ‘Reanimation’ hoodie, too much makeup, tight jeans, tanned skin, looks like a slut/Christina Aguilera wannabe[aren’t they the same thing? :lol: )
In Flames – Dawn of a New Day
After about a minute she takes the headphones off
Girl: What the hell is this, it sucks!
Steve: I’m seeing if Linkin Park fans like it.
Girl: Nobody would likethis shit music

Second Linkin Park Kid (Male, Spiked hair, naturally dark skin[Hispanic], Linkin Park hoodie [about a 3XL, he looks like he should be wearing a medium], baggy jeans)
In Flames – Reroute to Remain
Less than a minute into the song he takes off the headphones
Guy: What the fuck is this fuckin’ shit music it’’s fuckin’ shit why the fuck do you fuckin’ want me to listen to this fuckin’ shit shit?
Steve: What the hell are you talking about?

Looks like In Flames are nothing like Linkin Park, Slipknot, or Korn. There were no positive responses, although I did remove some surveys that were just “this sucks” with no insight.

I also thought you would appreciate Dissection scaring the shit out of a Slipknot fan and The “Dude, the chick that’s singing sucks” comment about Hammerfall.

Steve

Hahahaha! Nice one man, this is possibly the most entertaining thread I've ever read on ultimate metal! A great idea, and interesting results too! I'm very surprised actually, I'd have thought that In Flames would appeal to EVERYONE - even the older material. I mean, what's there not to like? Anyway, great idea!

Scourge of Malice said:
sounds like bullshit, the answers and descriptions too stereotypical

Yeah, that's what I thought too, especially with the topic poster's responses.

It's not even whether or not In Flames does appeal to these kind of people, it's that they're obviously trying to. They're failing, apparently.

I see what you guys are saying about it sounding bullshit, but I think that's only because he didn't tape-record the whole thing, and he had to sum up what was said basically - not use exact words.

I found it entertaining, good work steve :tickled:
It really comes down to the individual I think... I played in a hardcore band 5 years ago, and it makes me sick just thinking about the whole scene.. but still, there are some who just haven't yet heard good music, and they could use someone like you to show them what its all about.
Nu-metal fans, I dunno. I think there are also some numetal fans who would enjoy In Flames, but then there are only those who only wear the shirts to be cool, and just aren't interested in music.
Keep trying Steve! I'm sure you'll find someone who's interested..

I've found that a good place to start for the inexperienced is with parts like the Zombie Inc or Jester Script solos, Jesters Dance is another good one.

most people wouldnt like in flames at first because of the death metal style vocals, which for probably 95% of people, thats all theyd hear and wouldnt get past it. for people who like harder rock and stuff, and who have an open mind, then maybe they could get into it. even though in flames doesnt have very harsh vocals anyway, its still 100x harder than anything thats ever been on the radio. so when all youve heard is pop music and music such as linkin park, puddle of mudd, whatever, when u hear death metal vocals, thats all your gonna hear and your gonna probably be totally turned off, at first. and anyway, almost with every song you hear for the first time, you dont really like it, because its not familiar, once u hear a song about 3 times then you'll start to like it because u start to know it. if you played any metal song to someone about 3 times, then they could say whether or not theyd like it. and anyways with most people who dont like harder music, theyre so closeminded that they wont give anything but pop a chance.

Im not saying a word...other than pointing out that the folks who are saying "its too stereotypical" are the ones whos main point in the majority of these in flames threads has been squashed. coincidence? i think not. :tickled:

The answer is yes, because my nu-metal friends loves R2R and actually bought it! Among the other bands he listens to are the usual suspects: Korn, Slipknot, Mudvayne, System of a Down, StainD, Hed pe :tickled:

At any rate this is kinda silly anyway, considering surveying 6-7 kids really doesnt say much for what appeals too who, because I can say I know quite a few people who are nu-metal fans and love Cloud Connected and System.

Haha, great post!! Funny answers man, but I've basically done the same thing but got positive responses. I got some of my friends that were into Linkin Park and Godsmack into RtR and Lacuna Coil. I usually get responses like "these vocals suck, you can't understand what the hell he's saying... but the music is awesome".
-ill

Gums said:
I see what you guys are saying about it sounding bullshit, but I think that's only because he didn't tape-record the whole thing, and he had to sum up what was said basically - not use exact words.

That is pretty much what I did. These are just 3 of the "tests" I did, out of about a dozen. I did't get any good responses, but the others were just "this sucks", and other boring stuff like that. The people I have gotten positive responses from aren't nu-metal fans, but one who likes old Metallica, Guns n Roses, and Nirvana, another who likes Deep Purple and Sabbath. One of my friends who listens to Phish and not much else liked TJR and Whoracle, but not RTR.

I just forgot what I was thinking because I fell asleep, so I'll finish what I was doing later...
Steve

LordHypnos said:
Im not saying a word...other than pointing out that the folks who are saying "its too stereotypical" are the ones whos main point in the majority of these in flames threads has been squashed. coincidence? i think not. :tickled:

although it does sound stereotypical, I agree :)

Final_Vision said:
The answer is yes, because my nu-metal friends loves R2R and actually bought it! Among the other bands he listens to are the usual suspects: Korn, Slipknot, Mudvayne, System of a Down, StainD, Hed pe :tickled:

At any rate this is kinda silly anyway, considering surveying 6-7 kids really doesnt say much for what appeals too who, because I can say I know quite a few people who are nu-metal fans and love Cloud Connected and System.

Same here.