Is exporting a mix with the Master Fader not a ZERO WRONG ?

every project i export to wav in cubase sounds much lower than played back in the program, no matter how much i set the fader before exporting. I can hear clearly differences between the exported files and the project, not only in volume. I usually record in 16/44 and try to put the master as loud as possible to compesate that... could anyone give me a clue for this?

I did not read all the post, but:

If you are in a 32bit floating point enviroment (Cubase, Nuendo etc) and you are talking of an in-the-box mixdown it is absolutly NO problem to lower the master fader as much as it needs to avoid clipping @ the master bus.

32bit float enviroment does not mean that you have to record in 32bit float - just record 24bit - the internal processing of the mixer will be at 32bit float.

32bit float gives you nearly unlimited internal headroom.

Try it. Boost a channel about 30db. (will result in massive clipping). Now lower the master fader about 30db. Completly clean.

I am not talking about plugins. Just an "emty" mixer. Some plugins (natives) can handle that amount of clipping, some not. The Oxford Plugins (DSP) will audible clip if you are above 0db.

If you go down to 16bit or 24 bit you should not forget to dither. Even in the case of a 16bit project setting. Because the internal processing is still 32float. (Again i am talking about Cubase, Nuendo etc)

brandy

Wow...I am guessing that most peoeple in hear are tracking way to hot. If you are tracking in 24-bit then good god man re-think you gain staging. There is no reason why your mix should be peaking at anything aobve -6dBfs and it should be rms'ing in the -18 range.

->Gnash
No, you should not be using to master fader to make up volume but from the indication alone you are more close to proper leveing then think. Have yourself a little expirement and research into some really top notch mastering houses and or forums that ME's frequent and see if you can ask what they prefer mixes to come in at. As a matter of fact head over to the prosound forums and do a little reading in Brad Blackwoods forum.

Gain staging and signal flow are the most important aspects to recording. Learn it well.

Gain staging and signal flow are the most important aspects to recording. Learn it well.

Maybe not the most important but up there none the less right at the top. I think that it is however one of the most over looked aspects in the whole process of recording.

Wow...I am guessing that most peoeple in hear are tracking way to hot. If you are tracking in 24-bit then good god man re-think you gain staging. There is no reason why your mix should be peaking at anything aobve -6dBfs and it should be rms'ing in the -18 range.

LOL

Dimmu Borgir - Puritanical Euphoric Misanthropia - Blessings Upon The Throne Of Tyranny:

Adobe Audition said:
Code:
			Left		Right
Min Sample Value:	-32768		-32768
Max Sample Value:	32767		32767
Peak Amplitude:		0 dB		0 dB
Possibly Clipped:	75233		90915
DC Offset:		-.011 		-.017 
Minimum RMS Power:	-33.18 dB	-35.11 dB
Maximum RMS Power:	-4.35 dB	-4.71 dB
Average RMS Power:	-7.54 dB	-7.27 dB
Total RMS Power:	-7.43 dB	-7.2 dB
Actual Bit Depth:	16 Bits		16 Bits

Using RMS Window of 50 ms

No rules !
Freeedooooooom ! :loco: :lol: ;)

Maybe not the most important but up there none the less right at the top. I think that it is however one of the most over looked aspects in the whole process of recording.

No, actually it is the most important. Those who have never worked with analog have an extremely tough time understanding that because it's too easy to get sound to the L/R on a daw. But to make a true quality recording these principals must be adhered to.

Anyone who "overlooks" gain staging and signal flow is not a recording engineer.

Yeah, when I posted a while back, I posted my numbers wrong. :loco: I never track or mixdown anything too hot. I try and keep the meter at -6,-3. I posted +6.:lol: I was boosting though, WAY into the red just to get a decent level on mixdown. It's funny though, I realized, I don't really look at the numbers on shit. I just turn the knobs till it sounds good.:lol: If I was asked right now what my settings were on my guitar amp, or my pedals, I couldn't tell ya.:oops: Maybe that's why I flunked out of college.:lol:

LOL

Dimmu Borgir - Puritanical Euphoric Misanthropia - Blessings Upon The Throne Of Tyranny:

No rules !
Freeedooooooom ! :loco: :lol: ;)

Nope...sorry that is after the mix has been mastered. I will put my life on it that those levels were no were close when the Mixing Engineer handed the final mix to the Mastering Engineer.

Your right in the fact that there are "no rules", but there are practices that have been tried and true for a while. I can tell you without question though that pulling up the master fader to get a final volume is not one of them.

No, actually it is the most important. Those who have never worked with analog have an extremely tough time understanding that because it's too easy to get sound to the L/R on a daw. But to make a true quality recording these principals must be adhered to.

Anyone who "overlooks" gain staging and signal flow is not a recording engineer.

This can easily be argued left and right, but I for one feel like the actual source is and always will be the most important.

I do agree with you 100% percent that 99% of people who are recording today have no clue about how important gain staging is. Espically those that you mentiond who have come from the analog world and for that matter 16-bit to 24-bit.

Yeah, when I posted a while back, I posted my numbers wrong. :loco: I never track or mixdown anything too hot. I try and keep the meter at -6,-3. I posted +6.:lol: I was boosting though, WAY into the red just to get a decent level on mixdown. It's funny though, I realized, I don't really look at the numbers on shit. I just turn the knobs till it sounds good.:lol: If I was asked right now what my settings were on my guitar amp, or my pedals, I couldn't tell ya.:oops: Maybe that's why I flunked out of college.:lol:

I figured that much but I must tell you if you are RMSing at those levels then they are still way to high. "You were boosting way in to the red to get a decent level". ERrrrr....that about says it all.

Have you ever heard a good recording with hiss and/or distortion?

Have you ever heard a recording with a crappy source? The source is start of everything. If the source is not good then nothing else can be good. Plain and simple.

Have you ever heard a recording with a crappy source? The source is start of everything. If the source is not good then nothing else can be good. Plain and simple.

I knew that this would be your response...

There are countless great recordings done with shit instruments, shit vocals, and all kinds of stuff that's not even musical at all.

I did a session with Swizz Beats where he squeezed a fucking baby toy (how's that for a source???) and I recorded it with a goddamn U87 and a 1073.

I knew that this would be your response...

There are countless great recordings done with shit instruments, shit vocals, and all kinds of stuff that's not even musical at all.

I did a session with Swizz Beats where he squeezed a fucking baby toy (how's that for a source???) and I recorded it with a goddamn U87 and a 1073.

I knew this would be your response. When I am talking about "source" I am not talking about an "instrument". I am talking about the entity behind the instrument. Give a noob the best equipment in the world and he still would never sound as good as oh lets say Stevie Ray Vaughn on a 100 dollar knock off guitar.