Is it all worth it in the end..(rant inside)

Of course it does, but would that kind of raw, agressive music work with a hyper produced mix?

Or have you forgotten what passion feels and sounds like? You sure as hell won't find it at the bottom of slate drums packaging.

Of course it does, but would that kind of raw, agressive music work with a hyper produced mix?

Or have you forgotten what passion feels and sounds like? You sure as hell won't find it at the bottom of slate drums packaging.

maybe

but that sounds like 9th grade kids recording in their basement and putting it on myspace. not very passionate sounding either IMO. i think there's a middle ground somewhere.

[UEAK]Clowd;9625115 said:
maybe

but that sounds like 9th grade kids recording in their basement and putting it on myspace. not very passionate sounding either IMO. i think there's a middle ground somewhere.

Albini has always been 100% open about what he will and will not do with a bands music. He works with what the bands bring to the table and nothing more. You say it sounds "shitty", but thats what the band wanted. If not then why would they record with Albini in the first place? He might not be commanding a Lord-Alge salary but he's certainly not project studio cheap either.

Listen to "Why I'd Try" by Grandfather (a record you'd probably hate) for an example of a band that went to Albini knowing exactly what they wanted from him, and made sure they got it.

If this doesn't sound to good, you're insane in the membrane !!!

Last edited by a moderator:
So in your opinion should a band only get one take to perform their songs from start to finish? Or do you stop and punch in to fix mistakes? Because that's all we're doing, tracking things over and over and in small sections to make sure there's no mistakes...

You can't mix poorly played shit, you just can't.

Pretty much agree with everything Adam's said.

Already been said but when a general listener, or even another band who are a little more up to par on what is a good production, hear your recordings, they are going to judge it to some degree. If the band arnt tight, drums sound sloppy, guitars are meh, then YOU, the producer, AE, whatever you want to call yourself in your studio, are gonna have the finger pointed at you.

When I release a track, I want it to be the best sounding I possibly can, so when people hear the band they say fuck yeah! And come record with me. It aint my job...our job... what happens outside the studio. Its their problem live if they arnt that tight.

I understand its "ass wiping" but if I didn't wipe these bands asses, I wouldn't be able to afford to wipe my own ass... quite literally.

[UEAK]Clowd;9625093 said:
are you guys serious?

that shit sounds so bad lol

No. It sounds real. It sounds like a band in a room, playing. I think it's pretty fucking ignorant to slam Albini's work like you have done. He's a guy who puts some thought into what he's doing. He doesn't load a bunch of fucking amp sims and have at it.

No. It sounds real. It sounds like a band in a room, playing. I think it's pretty fucking ignorant to slam Albini's work like you have done. He's a guy who puts some thought into what he's doing. He doesn't load a bunch of fucking amp sims and have at it.

/shrug

different strokes for different folks I guess. for me, if I want to hear a band in a room, I'll see one in real life. recordings are cool cause you can do shit that's larger than life. you can do shit that's spectacular and extraordinary. a band in a room is rarely any of those things.

I don't see how a polished production and passion/being genuine are mutually exclusive.

No one said they were mutually exclusive. You're putting words in mouths.

I don't know, I feel like that's how a lot of people around here act... not necessarily you in particular.

if it doesn't sound like ass, it isn't "tr00". that's the impression I get around here sometimes.

[UEAK]Clowd;9626655 said:
I don't know, I feel like that's how a lot of people around here act... not necessarily you in particular.

if it doesn't sound like ass, it isn't "tr00". that's the impression I get around here sometimes.

The impression I get is completely the opposite. If it doesn't have that complete-lack-of-dynamics that modern metal is famous for, and if it doesn't have that fucking gash tubescreamer in front of a dual rect sound... then it cannot possible be heavy and/or metal.

The only reason there's anyone around here (namely me) pushing the "I love shit production" wagon to the forefront is because quite frankly, it feels like some set of metaphysical scales need balancing here.
The main point of view on this forum is that everything should be edited to fuck, quantized, sampled, re-amped 5,000 times, must have a tube screamer in front of a dual rec, etc etc etc or it's not good enough, the people who disagree with such things are in the minority here.

And it's not about it sounding like ass. Maybe YOU think it sounds like ass, but maybe to me it sounds absolutely heavenly.
All this modern production legitimately not only hurts my ears but a part of me that I really can't explain with any human language. It's too loud, there's fuck all dynamics and it all sounds exactly the fucking same.

It reminds me of being in College. You have to analyse interesting, original, unique works of literature but you're not actually allowed to write in a unique, original or interesting style. You have to fundamentally re-tread the same old ground or it's not good enough and you either suck it up and do it for the sake of a piece of paper with some grades on it or you don't and leave or get kicked out.
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas couldn't have been written by a college student, for example. Not just because a college student more than likely wouldn't have experienced such things or had such thoughts, that's just an aside, but for the sake of demonstration, the writing style, the use of language, the structure, flow, mood, feel.. These are all things that would be "wrong" to the institution but they made the book a truly unique piece of art.

It's exactly the same way mixes get treated here. If something is unique like that Zao mix or Shellac or some dirty death metal mix or something, it gets panned because it doesn't do it the same way as everyone else. You know how many pieces of music I've heard on this forum that have really stuck out to me as being something unique? Very, very few. Not one of them has been from the pod/slate/amp sims/quantization/blah crowd.

It's like all these bands chase success and don't realise that the only way they're going to be truly successful is by being unique, otherwise they'll simply get 5 seconds in the limelight and then dissapear from people's collective memory. Look at Bullet for my Valentine for example. There was a time when they ruled the goddamn roost and now all that's left is some shambling corpse trying to re-invent itself vicariously through a dozen other shitty bands all trying to do the same thing.

And the people here that share any of these viewpoints, be it small points or the whole goddamn thing are completely, COMPLETELY outnumbered by those who think I'm talking absolute horseshit.

And yeah, you can do larger than life things with modern mixing, but why is larger, better, etc... well.. better? The most powerful music I've ever heard has been musicians in a room pouring their souls out into their music. But then I guess some people want to see fancy light shows and the musical equivalent and some people want something more reserved, genuine and honest.

+1 to the G-Thang.

I'm tiring of modern metal production. I wanna hear some fresh approaches. I wanna hear some guys waste some money goofing about with microphone placement. I wanna hear some engineer work for free because he fucking loves the music. I wanna see some guy completely rape some analog tape.

[UEAK]Clowd;9626586 said:
/shrug

different strokes for different folks I guess. for me, if I want to hear a band in a room, I'll see one in real life. recordings are cool cause you can do shit that's larger than life. you can do shit that's spectacular and extraordinary. a band in a room is rarely any of those things.

I don't see how a polished production and passion/being genuine are mutually exclusive.

+1, great post

You wanna see a guy stick his dick in a tape machine Drew? You sick fuck! :D

Seriously, just put "studio diary" or "studio update" on youtube and sort the videos by date. 90% of the time I felt bad for the AE when I watched those videos. And 90% of those bands sounded exactly the same.

It's very hard to come across talented musicians, especially in the metal genre.