What's the fuck is wrong with you guys? (Sturgis rant inside)

Ganks

Nov 1, 2009
I suppose I had to put that in the title to get your attention. It does relate, but not entirely.

I have not been a member of this forum for very long, so take this rant lightly.
That being said..

What the fuck?

I don't understand why I can't get on here and see some helpful shit on this forum.

Don't get me wrong, there is TONS of helpful stuff on this forum. I wouldn't be anywhere near where I am now if it weren't for this forum.

But lately, it seems as if everyone is slacking.
It's truly SICKENING to see all the personal attacks on some fellow AEs I've seen here lately.

Where's the fucking love? Where's the communion of the forum? Jesus christ.

If someone creates a topic looking for help with reference to a band, don't post a fucking comment telling him how band the band sucks. That is NOT HELPFUL. It's fucking annoying to see how many threads derail into "that band is so fucking terrible."

For someone in particular..
"Person A" is actually the entire reason that I got into Audio Engineering. I literally listen to almost every band that he has produced. Yes, even "bands that metal elitists disapprove of". He mixes are fucking phenomenal. Call me a "Person A"-fanboy.. Whatever you like. That's not the point.

The point is.. You guys worship big time producers like Andy Sneap, etc. and no one has any problems with it.

Anyone who looks up to "Person A" gets instantly flamed because he produces bands like "band person A produced".. Or "teenage-based metal subgenre". BUT, his fucking mixes are AMAZING.

I'm having trouble with my words, but what I'm trying to say is..
I know "Person A" has a lot of respect here, but he also has seen a lot of disrespect lately, BECAUSE of the bands he produces. He cannot help what kind of music the bands are making, but he CAN help how he produces, mixes, and engineers the album. That being said, what the fuck is he doing wrong?

Again, I'm having trouble getting my thoughts into words, but I read a comment from "Person A" that said.. "my time here is almost up."

That would fucking suck. Honestly.

Blehh.. So is anyone with me? Or should I put my flame suit on?

I just think we've gotten off-track as a community.
It's just so annoying to see people actually flamed because of their musical interest.

You guys talk so much about "elitism", but to be honest.. There is a lot of "elitism" going on here in the forum.

If you guys don't like something, you fucking beat it down until there's absolutely no life in it.

It gets old.. Fast. There are definitely types of music on this forum that I do not like, but I do not immediately sign in after reading a thread and post on how much it sucks. I just let someone else who has an interest in the music post a comment on it.

I know I'm rambling.. so I'll stop now.
This post was NOT intended to be offensive in anyway, to anyone. I'm simply expressing my thoughts/feelings.

Anyone have anything to add?
What are you guys' thoughts?

[/rant-thing]

I think if he wants to go then he should go and not make it sound like some kind of threat. I agree that it doesn't matter what bands he produces ... chances are I don't like them but the guy does good work and thats all I care about on that end. My problem with it is he's had several other threads where he's just bitchin or crying that someone is saying he sucks because of whatever reason. Yes I fully understand why he may feel the need to defend himself and in most respects I applaud that he does ... however, his attitude sucks sometimes and his method of starting threads to yell back at people and make comments about how everyone sucks and he's the most "in the know" with the greatest chops is fucking annoying. He comes across sounding more than a little arrogant.

To comment on a point you made ... this IS Andy Sneap's forum so if anyone wants to "worship" him they should feel more than free to do so on HIS forum. If Joey needs to be constantly coddled and reassured about what a great job he does, let him start his own forum. Or you start one for him and then you can kick out anyone who gives him shit.

I'm not personally invested in whether he wishes to stay or leave this forum. Its not gonna ruin my day. I'm sure there are things I could learn from the guy and thats cool. I don't think HE feels like he can learn anything from anyone else though ... thats just my opinion and I'm probably wrong but thats how he comes across sometimes and if thats the case, well, then there really is no need for him to bother with the "inferior" AE's on this forum is there?

I think if he wants to go then he should go and not make it sound like some kind of threat. I agree that it doesn't matter what bands he produces ... chances are I don't like them but the guy does good work and thats all I care about on that end. My problem with it is he's had several other threads where he's just bitchin or crying that someone is saying he sucks because of whatever reason. Yes I fully understand why he may feel the need to defend himself and in most respects I applaud that he does ... however, his attitude sucks sometimes and his method of starting threads to yell back at people and make comments about how everyone sucks and he's the most "in the know" with the greatest chops is fucking annoying. He comes across sounding more than a little arrogant.

To comment on a point you made ... this IS Andy Sneap's forum so if anyone wants to "worship" him they should feel more than free to do so on HIS forum. If Joey needs to be constantly coddled and reassured about what a great job he does, let him start his own forum. Or you start one for him and then you can kick out anyone who gives him shit.

I'm not personally invested in whether he wishes to stay or leave this forum. Its not gonna ruin my day. I'm sure there are things I could learn from the guy and thats cool. I don't think HE feels like he can learn anything from anyone else though ... thats just my opinion and I'm probably wrong but thats how he comes across sometimes and if thats the case, well, then there really is no need for him to bother with the "inferior" AE's on this forum is there?

I completely agree with most of the points you made, but this post was not only about Joey Sturgis.

He is just the prime example that gets the most attention.
My OP was much more than a defensive statement about Joey Sturgis.

But as with most threads on this forum, if his name is mentioned.. Everything else is overlooked.

:kickass::kickass:

This is the ANDY SNEAP forum, after all....

I know this is the Andy Sneap forum, and like I said.. I'm a fairly new member. I wasn't around when Andy Sneap was posting regularly and helping everyone out.

I truly appreciate him for starting this forum and all the contributions he made.

However, from what I can tell, he very rarely posts on this forum anymore.
I just think there needs to be a better level of respect for those newer guys here who are trying to learn/teach that are constantly getting flamed.

It just seems like everyone is looking for that next witty comment that's going to get "sigged" or "+1".

I would just like to see more helpful posts, and less flamefest/attack posts.

That's all.

How many fucking times do we have to go over this? Jesus fucking Christ, it's all been said a hundred times before, let it go. The reason you "can't get on here and see some helpful shit on this forum" is because every third fucking thread is about the whole Sturgis affair.

Let's lock this thread, stop whining about how person X sucks, stop whining about how it sucks to whine about how person X sucks, and go do something creative instead. I'm off to put some more stain on my project Les Paul.

How many fucking times do we have to go over this? Jesus fucking Christ, it's all been said a hundred times before, let it go. The reason you "can't get on here and see some helpful shit on this forum" is because every third fucking thread is about the whole Sturgis affair.

Let's lock this thread, stop whining about how person X sucks, stop whining about how it sucks to whine about how person X sucks, and go do something creative instead. I'm off to put some more stain on my project Les Paul.

/thread

This is not a thread about "how Joey sucks".
It was a lot more than that.

I just used Joey as a example.

For the sake of this thread, I've replaced "Joey Stugis" with "Person A", and any personal reference to him as "Personal reference to Person A".

You completely missed my point.

I think you completely missed my point.
Instead of something insightful to this thread, you basically flamed my entire post by telling me it's all been covered before and that we all need to get over it.

It's not about getting over it. It's about this thread's integrity.

Point of my post:

Posts to threads have become a lot less helpful lately. Do you agree/disagree?

That was the entire point of my thread. I just used an example.