The I HATE FUCKING AMATURE BANDS RANT!

guitarguru777

Nov 13, 2003
Las Vegas
www.jasonconstantine.com
SO .....

2 Months ago I recorded a band we started on January 19th and originally booked 7 songs for an EP for $100 a song. Well on drum day they asked if they could do an additional 2 songs, since shit was set up I said yes and just gave it to them as a bonus, for no additional fee. So

Drum tracking went flawlessly, everything worked great, drums sound god like and everyone was VERY VERY happy. At the end of they day they hand me $500 cash and tell me they arent sure when they could come up with the other $200, since everything went very easily with drum tracking I said, ya know what Ill throw you guys a bone. Help me get my name out there to all if your friends and Ill do this for $500 and be done. So they agree.

We get into tracking bass and the bass player cant play ANY of the songs in time. So guitarist comes to me after the bass player leaves for the day (after 6 hours of work mind you trying to get shit tight) and asks me if I can re-cut and play all the bass. Just re-write all the parts and re-do everything. So of course because I dont want the entire project to go to shit I agree. I spend 2 days re-writing editing and changing bass parts and they never told the bass player

...... oh just wait it gets better......

So we get into doing guitars, and the guitar player has this old beat up piece of this Steinberger with shit intonation, and buzzing frets. When I tell him he cant use it he argues with me for like an hour. So finally I tell him fuck it OK use your guitar. Well then we get into the amps discussion, hes got an old Laney AOR100 which sounded fine, and when dialed in for a nice rock sound was awesome, but he had it in his head he wasnt in a heavy band so almost ever tone I dialed in he wanted less distortion ..... now please realize these guys TOLD me specifically they wanted the early 90s grunge STP meets Soundgarden types of sound......So instead of spending 4 hours arguing again I just agreed. I was taking DI's anyway so I could just re-amp later if its that bad. So we get through 2 days of tracking guitars and we are good to go.... One of the songs was recorded on my 5150 and he LOVED they way it came out, but refused to use it on any of the other songs.

Next 2 days we concentrate on Lead Vocals 4 hours in the singer is wasted and has all these fucking "brilliant" ideas for parts and vocal fly-ins and harmonies, and wont shut the fuck up till we try them. So we waste 3 hours "trying" shit and finally he gets frustrated and goes home.

He comes back the 2nd day and hates everything he did, so we have to re-track ALL of the vocals..... WHAT??? Yes RE-TRACK EVERYTHING! So me of course being the nice guya nd not wanting to get a fucked mix and build my portfolio properly I agree......

..... at this point I already know I am a fucking idiot .....

So 2nd day to we rush and re-cut all the vocals and get them done .... They sound GREAT. Of course causes hes not 2 sheets to the wind ...

Get into guitar solos later that day ... Slop on top of slop on top of slop, finally we get some decent takes and he goes home....

YAY everything tracked I can mix!

I take a week to mix / master and have them come in for a listen ... Band thinks everything is perfect, they LOVE it, raving about it all over FB, Myspace, their website ... Its EPIC!

I pat myself on the back, job well done .....

--------- So I thought -----------

So I gt a phone call Monday saying they want to fix 2 vocal harmonies, and change one guitar part and change the Not so heavy guitar tones for heavy tones, cause of course they realize what I was right in telling them the tones needed more gain. So I agree, no problem I have 2 days off this week so we can just do that and be done, Toss me another $100 and we are good.

They show up, no cash in hand, I already have everything set up and say fuck it .... Ill do it and just get it done. So they spend 6 hours here yesterday arguing about what to change cause of course the singer is shit faced again, and hasnt a fucking clue what the rest of the band wanted changed .... Oh and by the way .. the bass player got told what happened and he had a shit fit, and they kicked him out....

So they go home after 6 hours of bullshit and at 3AM I get an email ....

Hey man, I've got some bad news and good news – I sent you a text message...But either you or I need to redo all of the bass parts that are the same as what Eddie wrote. He legitimately owns the rights to what he wrote, and he's not too happy right now and doesn't want us to use the tracks he wrote. I know you redid most of the tracks anyways, but you redid them to sound similar to what he wrote. We need to do something new on everything. The good news is, 30 Seconds is good as is, and the intro part of Yes Child was written by someone else. I promised Eddie that we would change the parts he wrote, so – hate me if you will – we'll need to change all the other parts.

The good news is, if you want to make these songs the best they can be, you now have complete and total creative freedom to play any bass parts you'd like on any of the tracks. Eddie is going to call you tomorrow, and I don't think he knows that ALL of the parts were re-played. So I would just tell him that you changed some of the parts, and that we'll go ahead and change all of them. I know time is money and you're probably frustrated with us, because I'm sure you thought this was done and out of the way; but we can give you a little more money. We're pretty broke right now, but we appreciate your work, and we'll give you what we can for your time.

Anyways, we'll see you tomorrow.

Ummm WHAT????? Really ???? WTF???? NOW you tell me you are broke! After I do an additional 6 hours of work on your shit!!! Not only that I have to re-cut remix and re-set up ALL the shit for the bass and play it myself, and anything that eddie ever played that was cool that I kept I have to re-do????

So here is my response ....

Seriously man at this point I don't even know what to say .....

First off ... Not a single bass part on the songs was played by Eddie at all. I replaced them all and replayed everything myself.

Second, this things is really beginning to turn into a nightmare. I have another band slated to start tomorrow and I don't have the time to do this. If you guy want it fixed you are going to have to book time to do it. Unfortunately at the moment I am booked solid until the 18th of March.

You guys told me you had a few changes, not an entire laundry list of re-takes and shit you wanted to completely replay / re-sing. I figured we would just re-amp your original performances and call it a day, but yesterday we did an additional 4 hours of work, and NONE of you had a clue on who wanted to change what. You had a list, and Trav had some ideas he wanted to "try". in addition he was shit faced. I know when hes shit faced cause he always wants more more more and never thinks rationally.

In addition to all of that with the amount of changes you are making its going to take me additonal time to re-mix every song with all of your new changes, find new effects that work and so on. These were not little tweaks like only volume changes and what not. They are complete changes to the structure and foundation of each mix. This is the type of things that happen when bands think they know what they want but have no idea what they want to sound like. But because they need to feel all professional they make bad choices.

If you would have listened to me from day one, and not put up a fight about what amps / guitars / microphones / tones you wanted to use on this we wouldn't be in this boat. The only person who didn't complain about any of his parts or how things sounded is Brad, and he didn't say a word when I was doing it. He let me do my job and his drums sounds great. (Sans the little fixes I need to so)

At this point I am looking at it this way. I will fix the things on your list as I said I would. Its gonna run you $100 for that. If you want the bass parts redone and changed which means an entirely new mix for each song as the bass tone will change and it needs to fit the new parts you are going to have to book time to do it.

I am sorry man but we discussed all this in the beginning and that you guys needed to be prepared. Its obvious that you guys were not prepared and now you see WHY I told you guys you needed to be. I cut all these songs and took $200 off the price I wanted originally cause I was being a nice guy. So .... you guys figure out what you want to do.

If you want to recut bass I can get you guys in for a single day of work in March for $100 - that would bring this up to our original negotiated price. Then I am going to need another 4 days to a week to re-mix everything. I HIGHLY suggest you guys ALL discuss before you come to the studio today, or cancel for today and come back in March when you are fully prepared and know what you want to do.

This is the LAST time I am going to re-visit these songs with you guys unless there is cash in hand. I do this for a living dude, and I need to be paid for my work. Basically I did 4 hours of work yesterday and I am not going to get paid for it till you guys have some money, not when the job is actually finished.

Let me know what you want to do. I think I have been more then fair, and more then accommodating on ALL of this.

Jason

WHAT THEY FUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

God I really hope they cancel today.

Dude... you're being WAY too kind.

They fucking cut the songs. End of. There is no recall. There is no little tweaking. The songs are done. End of. Fuck off guys. I tried to tell you that you weren't using enough gain, you ignored me, so fuck off.

To invoke the words of Joe B: Learn to love it.

Now get rid of these fucking chumps and go record the other band!

/rant

LOL dude, the bass player is claiming rights to the SHITTY bass lines he wrote? WTF? LOL fuck them in their ass hard with a driller. Also, the shitty bass player has absolutely NO RIGHTS in claiming what he wrote because NOTHING was signed, so he stands ABSOLUTELY NO GROUND whatsoever in any of this... so he should fuck off and die

SO .....

2 Months ago I recorded a band we started on January 19th and originally booked 7 songs for an EP for $100 a song. Well on drum day they asked if they could do an additional 2 songs, since shit was set up I said yes and just gave it to them as a bonus, for no additional fee.

You already know this, but this is where you fucked up.

First of all, $100 per song for tracking and mixing (and even mastering?) is ridiculously cheap. Yeah, you get your name out there, only thing is your name will be "The guy who works for peanuts and can be taken advantage of", not "The guy who does a great job and deserves his compensation." If you're serious about this, you need to change this right now. I know this sounds harsh, but you said yourself that you do this for a living. I don't know how fast you work, but for $100 a song, my personal salary would end up around $6 per hour. Remove taxes, insurance, expenses and shit and I'm left with about three bucks, tops. Now, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to come to the conclusion it's absolutely impossible to make a living with that. Yeah, you might lose some bands when you raise your rates, but guess what? You don't have to work with leeches like these guys anymore.

Secondly, if things get out of hand like this, you need to be firm. Tell the band it's not going to work. Yeah, you might lose part of your salary, but you'll lose a LOT more if you agree to work for free. One thing to consider with a band like this is that they might try and make the whole fiasco your fault. No matter if it's true or not, it WILL hurt your reputation. I once had a session with a band that wasn't prepared at all. No-one knew their parts, constant arguing about what gear to use, constant fights between the band members, really fucking crap mojo during the whole session, and in the end they started hinting that the whole catastrophe was because of the tracking order I proposed, since it was the only way we could fit the project into their schedule. Up to that point I had been very diplomatic and flexible, but then I made perfectly clear that I will finish this project as agreed, but I cannot be blamed for their lack of preparation, skills and attitude, and if they need more time it's going to cost as it always would. Problem solved.

And to not to sound too dick-ish, I feel you man, there's always room for a crap session between the good ones, and it never feels good :)

To quote my guitar teacher, "Slap them in the god damn tits."

You were -way- to generous man. You cut them a fucking deal for 500.00 dollars.

Tell those guys unless those songs are legally copy written in the library of congress then the bassist can't bitch... at all.

Another thing I don't get is how bands (any artist for that matter) can tell their engineer what sound they want, then tell the engineer that they're wrong. They're probably not nearly as educated on studio recording as engineer them self. Like seriously, arguing with your engineer, -THE MAN YOUR PAYING TO MAKE YOUR RECORDINGS SOUND GOOD-, is so amateur and stupid that it hurts.

If it makes you feel any better dude, I recorded a "friends" (my mothers, coworkers son... so they were all 16..........) band once... I cut them a HUGE fucking deal (it was 2 years ago so it was kind of a learning experience for me). 200.00 USD for 4 songs. Roughly 6 hours of tracking each day and I used SP2.0 for drums. 24 hours of work (on just tracking) for 200.00. These guys expected me to go above and beyond for them too because they thought they're special.

Drum tracking - Easy, used midi from guitar pro, imported via protools with SP2.0

Bass tracking - The kid didn't replace his bass strings when I told him.. So a shitty bass sound.. Mediocre playing

Guitar tracking - These kids couldn't play evenly at all. I go to put on the metronome and I get "don't worry about it, I got it" response.. Again, strings wern't replaced when I asked and they we're using the lowest grade Jackson guitars money can buy with stock Jackson pickups..

Solo tracking - Fucking abysmal. I could play better with my fucking wang. All one kid would do was try to shred in a phyrgian mode.. over EVERYTHING..in EVERY song..

Vocals - 16 year old chick screamer who tried to clean sing.. Need I say more? We spend 3 hours recording one line..

These guys pissed me off so much I didn't put any effort at all into mixing or mastering

But yeah, My post turned into a rant. I feel your pain, bro. Kids/musicians are inconsiderate dick bags that think they're the next big thing.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Re-track for free? Bass lines copyrights? LFOL

That's what happens when you let them go too loose.

Well, at least they don't show up with a C guitar tuning and .46 strings and he refuses to change them. ".56? it hurts that thick". I don't know if just kick them the fuck out of here and good riddance. Most probably will.

I always was a "semi-nazi" for bands I worked with but everything ended up great/the best as possible. Now, the bands/people I worked with are continuing following my advices and call me to make sure they're doing it right, intonate their guitars, ask for opinion. I'm also becoming nicer than I should but no way, I won't let it go. It hurts at first but at the end, everything goes flawlessly.

It's all well and good saying "you're too nice" etc but when you're sat there faced with the situation it is really difficult to turn people away over quibbles. Especially when you're starting out and can really do with the business, even if it's to use as part of your show-reel. The band I'm currently working with have well and truly overstepped the mark in terms of recording time, but I just keep giving in because I'm only just starting out on the actual recording/producer side of things and could really do with more notches under my belt.

Once I'm pulling in more clients THEN I can start having ego battles :lol:

Dude you need to not be such a pushover. If you're going to let a band have their own way every time a problem occurs then this is the kinda shit you have to expect. Every single time you make that choice you're taking another step to becoming their bitch. Letting them do extra songs for the first step and a really really bad mistake to make.

If they want to do 2 more songs they can pay for 2 more songs.
If they only have $500 they get $500 worth of work.
If they need to retrack bass they pay you to retrack it. Same for vocals.

When they try to make a decision that will make their record sound shit then you put your foot down and tell them that doing it will make their record sound shit. ("thats ok live but it's not gonna work in the studio" is a good line here)
Or you can let them make their shit decisions and then charge them to fix it later on when they realize they've fucked up.

The overall impression I got from your post is that the band has zero respect for you and your skills. This might be something from the way you present yourself to them.
Don't worry about "I need to build my portfolio" or "I need to get my name out there"
Have confidence in your skills and be authorative in the studio. Your job is to get the session to run smoothly and to schedule. You have to be the boss to make this happen.

If you're going to continue with this band (I don't know if I would bother at this stage to be honest) then you need to put your foot down and take charge. Any bands you work with will appreciate this in the end. No one likes it when they get to the end of a week long session and realize they've got nothing done because they've been fucking around and are unprepared.

Dude you need to not be such a pushover. If you're going to let a band have their own way every time a problem occurs then this is the kinda shit you have to expect. Every single time you make that choice you're taking another step to becoming their bitch. Letting them do extra songs for the first step and a really really bad mistake to make.

If they want to do 2 more songs they can pay for 2 more songs.
If they only have $500 they get $500 worth of work.
If they need to retrack bass they pay you to retrack it. Same for vocals.

When they try to make a decision that will make their record sound shit then you put your foot down and tell them that doing it will make their record sound shit. ("thats ok live but it's not gonna work in the studio" is a good line here)
Or you can let them make their shit decisions and then charge them to fix it later on when they realize they've fucked up.

The overall impression I got from your post is that the band has zero respect for you and your skills. This might be something from the way you present yourself to them.
Don't worry about "I need to build my portfolio" or "I need to get my name out there"
Have confidence in your skills and be authorative in the studio. Your job is to get the session to run smoothly and to schedule. You have to be the boss to make this happen.

If you're going to continue with this band (I don't know if I would bother at this stage to be honest) then you need to put your foot down and take charge. Any bands you work with will appreciate this in the end. No one likes it when they get to the end of a week long session and realize they've got nothing done because they've been fucking around and are unprepared.

+100

but it's authoritative and not authorative, isn't it?

this is exactly why you should always have some sort of hourly rate involved instead of flat rate so bands won't try and fuck you in the ass

LOL dude, the bass player is claiming rights to the SHITTY bass lines he wrote? WTF? LOL fuck them in their ass hard with a driller. Also, the shitty bass player has absolutely NO RIGHTS in claiming what he wrote because NOTHING was signed, so he stands ABSOLUTELY NO GROUND whatsoever in any of this... so he should fuck off and die

So much this. Band either needs to shove another tampon in and shut the fuck up or grow a pair and tell that retard to shove it up his ass.

I had the SAME issues, really, exact the same in detail.

You've done pretty much everything wrong, I did so too.

But now I know what I fucked up and will never do that again.

It's a learning progress and take it as it is, at the end you're much smarter and know exactly where to a bitch and where to be nice and accommodating.

I do feel your pain brother.....i have been working on a project off and on sence may 2010......got everything tracked except guitar solos last summer then they kick the singer out...fast forward several months, they find a new singer, bring him up from atlanta to re-track vox...5 songs 2 days.....now here we are just getting around to those solos again lol....almost a fucking year for 5 songs hahaha! Its been the most disorganized bullshit i have ever delt with....and yeah it was a flat rate...never fucking again. on another note im currently recording my first label project for Brutal Bands, and its going great!

Hehehe... me and a Bud used to record local bands with similar situations. They come in wanting 4-6 tunes to sound like - Machine Heads 'Through The Ashes Of Empire' CD We'd tell them up front:
We can get you guys to sound great but....
1. We aint got Andy's skills
2. We aint got Andy's equipment
2. And your $300 wouldn't get Andy's doors to open! :lol:

And we did get caught up in one of those flat rate deals. What a mistake, never again. Most memorable moment.... I remember 42 takes on a :14 second guitar solo! 42 takes.