Is it just me or are meet and greets a rip off??

PoolePaul

Apr 18, 2005
In a bar
Right...Haven't posted for a while. I got tix to see Anthrax and Motorhead on my 40th next month. Would be cool to meet up with the bands and have a few pix taken, only way that this will happen is if I spend MORE money on meet and greets....I personally think that this is a complete fucking rip off having paid shit loads of cash to support the bands for many many years...Are the bands getting hyper greedy or is it just me???

Even though I consider how much the industry has been shaken financially the past decade, and as much as I feel this band should get everything good coming their way, I still think that the concept of charging people for "Meet and Greet" belongs to the likes of Justin Bieber.

Would not do it personally, but if this is your only chance to meet the guys, can not blame you ...! :headbang:

Even though I consider how much the industry has been shaken financially the past decade, and as much as I feel this band should get everything good coming their way, I still think that the concept of charging people for "Meet and Greet" belongs to the likes of Justin Bieber.

Would not do it personally, but if this is your only chance to meet the guys, can not blame you ...! :headbang:

Totally get ya...Paying money to meet someone that you have already paid shit loads of cash to, to watch them play/listen etc etc...It's bullshit...Would be a cool pic to get, but fuck putting money in pockets for the privileged...Nah

It's a bit rich I think,the whole idea originally was to get hype and get to meet ur fans,charging them doesn't make sense,was glad I went to pantera I store years ago,bls as well,besides that I've hear from many diff scources that Scott and Charlie are quite rude to there fans and that's 1 reason I haven't met them yet

When I met them in 2010 I only talked to Frank and Joey.

Scott and Charlie looked like they didn't want to be there.

No way I'd pay to meet anyone, musician, actor, whatever. I've met a handful of musicians and it was cool, but I already paid for a ticket,I'm not paying you to take a picture with me and pretend we're long lost friends.

Maybe I should charge the bands to meet me. Most people that know me personally say I'm a nice guy.

Yeah the whole idea of paying money to meet someone is stupid. If a famous person in a band doesn't make themselves available for their fans to meet them in one way or another then they're probably not worth meeting in the first place. I'm sure if I ever met Scott Ian I'd probably get really bummed out.

When I saw Anthrax last year with Testament I just showed up to the venue early and caught Franky outside of their bus and took and picture with him. Then after the show I caught Gene Hoglan and took a picture with him too, and we even chatted a little bit. Really nice guy. Basically the dudes that are worth meeting will put themselves out there, and the ones that aren't, won't.

saw Anthrax in '98: John, Frank & Paul were hanging around in the venue and talking to the fans before the show, Scott & Charlie could only be seen on stage.

Think I mentioned this in another thread, but when I saw Anthrax on Sweden Rock 2003 we were like 50 people waiting in the front row after the show.

Scott came out, had a chat with many of us and I could have my picture taken. This was obviously something he did because he wanted to. Nobody had to pay nothing extra for this. School-book example of how we all want it to be I guess.

Was really cool that night, too bad if you have had other experiences.

I did the M&G once, more for the merch that comes with it than meeting them. It was a nice experience, much better than some M&G's from other bands I hear about. That being said, I wouldn't do it again. It was cool to do once, but thats it. Not to mention that none of them are especially hard to meet, and they're all cool signing stuff, taking pics, etc. after shows.

Yeah, I guess it sucks to pay ..BUT do you expect them to be able to meet every fan at every show? It would be impossible. I paid for a meet n greet in 2010. I got to meet all of them and they even let me take an extra pic cause they thought I might not of liked the first one lol. ....and Charlie asked about my thrax tattoo. Also Frank jokingly said not to fart when I was on the table for the pic lol

Yeah, I guess it sucks to pay ..BUT do you expect them to be able to meet every fan at every show? It would be impossible. I paid for a meet n greet in 2010. I got to meet all of them and they even let me take an extra pic cause they thought I might not of liked the first one lol. ....and Charlie asked about my thrax tattoo. Also Frank jokingly said not to fart when I was on the table for the pic lol

That really is a cool pic!:worship:

I'll be honest: if Anthrax were to play a show in Finland ever again, I'd gladly pay for the meet and greet. I'd have Mr.Wu explain his absence, dammit!

How much are these things for Anthrax anyway? It can't be THAT overly expensive, unlike this red, white and black band...

I didn't pay for it.

Also it included a meet & greet exclusive shirt, which is pretty bad ass.

It is a lot and I can see it annoying people. I did it earlier this year in Oxford (UK) and all were present and very chilled and talkative.
Got my JJ1 signed which is the main reason.
I will do it again on the Motorhead tour
THe merch is pretty groovy too

If the band wants to hang out, they will do it. Then they will talk to the fans. If they don't want to, who am I to complain about this? Even though I would like to in most cases!

M & G for me is like, "well I guess we should meet some people at least ... [*sighing*]".

I never met most of the bands I went to see. I was fine with that, I mean is this really in my position to demand that?

Two exceptions coming to mind (except for Scott Ian): Shook hands with Bobby Schayer once (ex-Bad Religion, hands were huge) and was happy seeing Benji Webbe of Skindred behind the merch stand - BEFORE! - the show here last year.