Is it just me or are meet and greets a rip off??

I did the M&G once, more for the merch that comes with it than meeting them. It was a nice experience, much better than some M&G's from other bands I hear about. That being said, I wouldn't do it again. It was cool to do once, but thats it. Not to mention that none of them are especially hard to meet, and they're all cool signing stuff, taking pics, etc. after shows.

Why would you pay to meet with a guy that you're already in a band with?

If I may ask, how did you meet him? Just curious.

I've got a buddy who used to be the guitarist in an Iron Maiden cover band in Rochester, and they played a gig with the Belladonna band. I was just starting to get into Anthrax, so I thought that'd be a cool one to go to and maybe meet a member of the band. Much to my surprise, I went to the gig and Belladonna actually opened for the Maiden cover band - Joey's reasoning was that they were the hometown band so it wouldn't have been right for him to headline. I was really amazed by how down to earth he was/is; he personally sold all of his own merch (Except when he was on stage), he's just so genuine, and he treated everyone with the utmost respect and appreciation. I really respected all of that, and he was the first real big name rockstar I'd met who acted like that. We saw him a couple more times before he rejoined Anthrax in 2010, and I figured that'd be the end of seeing him in small places. Our first time seeing Anthrax was in Sweden at Sonisphere in 2010, and a month later Joey did another Belladonna gig in Rochester. He was really amazed we'd gone all the way to Sweden for a concert. That was the first time he told us about Chief Big Way, and we went and checked out a CBW gig a few months later. We've been seeing CBW consistently ever since, usually 2-3 times a month when Anthrax isn't on tour. It's a lot of fun really - Joey is my favorite singer of all time, and to be able to see him a few times a month in these tiny dive bars and assorted strange venues (Strangest gig we've seen was they played at a bowling alley for their Friday night black light bowling!) and just hang out and talk about whatever...it's really cool. And he knows how much we love Anthrax...he always makes sure we can say "hi" after the Anthrax gigs, and that usually leads to meeting the other guys as well. In Montclair he took us backstage after the show because we didn't have time to stop and eat en route to the gig, so we ate with him and Frank and Scott...very cool! :Spin:

Sorry if that's a bit more info/backstory than you were looking for :p

I've got a buddy who used to be the guitarist in an Iron Maiden cover band in Rochester, and they played a gig with the Belladonna band. I was just starting to get into Anthrax, so I thought that'd be a cool one to go to and maybe meet a member of the band. Much to my surprise, I went to the gig and Belladonna actually opened for the Maiden cover band - Joey's reasoning was that they were the hometown band so it wouldn't have been right for him to headline. I was really amazed by how down to earth he was/is; he personally sold all of his own merch (Except when he was on stage), he's just so genuine, and he treated everyone with the utmost respect and appreciation. I really respected all of that, and he was the first real big name rockstar I'd met who acted like that. We saw him a couple more times before he rejoined Anthrax in 2010, and I figured that'd be the end of seeing him in small places. Our first time seeing Anthrax was in Sweden at Sonisphere in 2010, and a month later Joey did another Belladonna gig in Rochester. He was really amazed we'd gone all the way to Sweden for a concert. That was the first time he told us about Chief Big Way, and we went and checked out a CBW gig a few months later. We've been seeing CBW consistently ever since, usually 2-3 times a month when Anthrax isn't on tour. It's a lot of fun really - Joey is my favorite singer of all time, and to be able to see him a few times a month in these tiny dive bars and assorted strange venues (Strangest gig we've seen was they played at a bowling alley for their Friday night black light bowling!) and just hang out and talk about whatever...it's really cool. And he knows how much we love Anthrax...he always makes sure we can say "hi" after the Anthrax gigs, and that usually leads to meeting the other guys as well. In Montclair he took us backstage after the show because we didn't have time to stop and eat en route to the gig, so we ate with him and Frank and Scott...very cool! :Spin:

Sorry if that's a bit more info/backstory than you were looking for :p

No that's exactly what I was looking for. I think you are very lucky to be friends with your idol, and I'm very jealous of that. :)

Has anyone been to the M&Gs in the UK this autumn?
What time do they usually start? Trying to plan my afternoons drinking!

It is a lot and I can see it annoying people. I did it earlier this year in Oxford (UK) and all were present and very chilled and talkative.
Got my JJ1 signed which is the main reason.
I will do it again on the Motorhead tour
THe merch is pretty groovy too

Hey, I was at that meet and greet too! I came over from Ireland. I framed the banner we got.

AnthraxBanner.jpg

met joey several times when he was doing his solo gigs. Very nice, down to earth and always remembers you. at one gig opening for WASP he was doing his own merch before the show, hanging out with fans. Class act. Met Frank once too at the premier of Get Thrashed in NYC. Awesome sense of humor, also very down to earth.

met joey several times when he was doing his solo gigs. Very nice, down to earth and always remembers you. at one gig opening for WASP he was doing his own merch before the show, hanging out with fans. Class act. Met Frank once too at the premier of Get Thrashed in NYC. Awesome sense of humor, also very down to earth.

I've met Frank 3 or 4 times, but never really had a chance to say any more than "hey, thanks for the great music" until the last time I met him, and it was a blast getting to actually talk to him for a few mins - he's definitely my favorite of the guys besides Joey.

I'll tell you all here what I tell everyone. I even did a "how to" speech in college about it. They have to leave sometime.
Bands get there early. sometimes way early enough for them to have time to go eat, etc. after the show, sometimes they are staying in town or at least have a few hours to kill before they go. again: BANDS HAVE TO LEAVE SOMETIME. These security douchebags would have you believe otherwise, but if it's 2 minutes after the show, they haven't left yet. They are just people. and yeah, sometimes they are too tired or sick and don't wanna sit around chatting, but a lot of times they do! This is any band. I have met every band I have ever wanted to meet if I have gone to their show. My sister and I have done this since I started going to shows at 13 or 14. My neice is turning 14 on the second, and she has met more bands than most people my age. Find exits, check out bars and restaurants around the venue. It seems stalkerish, but hey, it gets the job done. Talk to opening bands! make nice with the roadies! Even befriend the dreaded security guys (if possible). Bring booze, pizza, whatever and hang with the workers at the venue. Being genuinely nice to people will get you far. don't be the jerk who screams at security or workers because you think you're VIP. and hey, if you make nice and it doesn't happen, guess what? when you attend the next show at that venue, you already have a friend of sorts.

I'll tell you all here what I tell everyone. I even did a "how to" speech in college about it. They have to leave sometime.
Bands get there early. sometimes way early enough for them to have time to go eat, etc. after the show, sometimes they are staying in town or at least have a few hours to kill before they go. again: BANDS HAVE TO LEAVE SOMETIME. These security douchebags would have you believe otherwise, but if it's 2 minutes after the show, they haven't left yet. They are just people. and yeah, sometimes they are too tired or sick and don't wanna sit around chatting, but a lot of times they do! This is any band. I have met every band I have ever wanted to meet if I have gone to their show. My sister and I have done this since I started going to shows at 13 or 14. My neice is turning 14 on the second, and she has met more bands than most people my age. Find exits, check out bars and restaurants around the venue. It seems stalkerish, but hey, it gets the job done. Talk to opening bands! make nice with the roadies! Even befriend the dreaded security guys (if possible). Bring booze, pizza, whatever and hang with the workers at the venue. Being genuinely nice to people will get you far. don't be the jerk who screams at security or workers because you think you're VIP. and hey, if you make nice and it doesn't happen, guess what? when you attend the next show at that venue, you already have a friend of sorts.

...and it doesn't hurt if you're a hot chick. ;)