is it just me

Drd77

Apr 26, 2008
Georgia
do you guys find that it takes you multiple listens on most of opeth's songs for you to start to like them? almost like, there is so much going on at once that you have to study the song to absorb the greatness?

do you guys find that it takes you multiple listens on most of opeth's songs for you to start to like them? almost like, there is so much going on at once that you have to study the song to absorb the greatness?

When I first started listening to the band....now, not so much.

it's still the same for me as when i first started listening to the band. like i just listened to demon of the fall for the first time to prepare for the concert on wednesday, and i didn't like it. now, i know i will begin to like it more and more with each listen, but it's curious how that is. it will probably end up being one of my favorites seeing how highly everyone else regards it on here.

I don't regard Demon of the Fall that highly. It's good, but not that good. I did find that with most of their albums I had to give it a couple of listens before I liked it, but that's true of a lot of stuff. Some of my favourite bands at the moment I hated when I first heard them. Once I got into Opeth though, and heard a new album, then it was a case of having to listen to the songs a couple of times to appreciate them because of the sheer length and complexity of some of them, then when you see it as a whole you appreciate it.

When I first started listening to the band....now, not so much.

i agree, at first i would only listen to songs to hear my favorite parts, which were the slower ones. then i came to like the rest, the brutality side of the spectrum.

Of course it takes a few listens to really appreciate the music. That's why we listen to Opeth instead of the radio, no? ;)

the only album i really felt that i had to listen to several times before it really clicked with me was ghost reveries.

seeing these newbies talk about opeth make me wish I could go back to when I was first getting into them

It seems to me that the music that has become my favourite over the past few years is music that I initially hated and had to really try and get into.Bands I like right away seem to get discarded after a few listens.