Opeth album/song with most depth..

The Evil Toucan

[NOTNO]Parrot
Oct 18, 2002
Charlotte, NC
Visit site
Opeth's songs have long been known for their depth (i.e. you hear something different and new every listen or every few listens) so which album or song of theirs do you think has the most "depth" to it and contains something new to be heard every listen?

hmm, that's a hard one... I think as far as albums go, Still Life takes the cake for that, with Blackwater Park pretty close on its heels.

I'd also go with Orchid... not that it has amazing depth, because I've figured out most of the parts for myself, but it's just that because of all those parts it never seems to get boring for me.

To answer your question, the album with the most depth has got to be Deliverance, which culminates all Opeth's work up to that point into one sharp production. Even though it has a number of repetitive parts in songs like 'Wreath' and 'Master's Apprentices', even these songs have more detail to find for every listen than any song on Blackwater Park; 'Deliverance' is infused with a progressive structure not unlike Morningrise (but more mature), with the details and rhythms of Still Life.

Master's Apprentices / By The Pain I See In Others ; :zzz: :erk: :puke:

For me, t'has to be, the whole of Still Life. Except maybe Face Of Melinda, I can play that whole song through my head, but the rest of the album still has a mysterious musical depth that I am still penetrating to this day, and it was the 2nd Opeth album I bought too.

For me - Blackwater Park. The songs are deep - the production near perfection.

I have songs from each album that hit deeper than others - but truley, Opeth's music is just plain deep. But when I look at the album Blackwater Park, there are 5 songs that emotionally hit home:

The Drapery Falls - #1
The Funeral Portrait
Bleak
Blackwater Park
The Leper Affinity

Not bad for one album. But as I've said before, if I ranked all six Opeth albums, the difference between one and six is quite small.

The album that continues to amaze me each spin is Still Life. Orchid and onward are all amazing, but Still Life came out at a time in my life when I needed music to soothe the beast.

Although personal associations have overshadowed some of the artistic intent, the lyrics meshed with driving instrumentation draws me in and makes me forget worldly troubles.

..which is what we all need, I think. I hope everyone out there has something that can take them away.