Is it just me.....

Till Fjalls

¥¤ÆZµ
May 21, 2001
* Toronto *
fade.to
or is Mikael whispering over the top of the first set of vocals on Demon of The Fall?? I think that may have something to do with it's really dark sound.

Just listeining to it on headphones for my assignment, and I happened to notice that. Activelistening is fun!

While we're on the topic, what are some good headphone albums?? (Ie....lots of panning, different instruments, lots of dynamics...)

ok, i just listened to it, and i see what you're talking about...but i have no idea. is it possible he recorded two vocal tracks? because there's definitely some extra resonance there. but i don't know how recording works, so there are probably many explanations.

BUT CHECK OUT the wonderful phelgmy growl on "eye" during "The blink of an eye." (he had a cold during recording.) Holy shit, that's one of my favorite Opeth moments ever.

Mikael Akerfeldt: Half man, half wolf!!!!!

Hehe, yeah, totally!

BTW, there is no dobt he's double tracked there, but I was curous if it was really a whisper, which I don't think I've ever heard him do before in a distorted vocal track.

If you want some kickass panning, "Ruiner" by NIN has a great part about 2/3 into it. The solo is going in one ear, the bass in the other, then it all comes together and seems to fill in your head.. I've always loved it.

Well, it's probably only good if you like NIN... :D

Originally posted by Duvall
If you want some kickass panning, "Ruiner" by NIN has a great part about 2/3 into it. The solo is going in one ear, the bass in the other, then it all comes together and seems to fill in your head.. I've always loved it.Well, it's probably only good if you like NIN... :D

Yeah I love that bit :)

I love finally hearing those things. Makes me realize that they put so much effort into it. Like the first time I heard the echo of Mike screaming after each word:

"I wish the sunrise to come take (TAKE!) my (MY!) soul (SOUL!)"

I was like, "OH COOL!" :loco:

No, I don't think it's a whisper. It wouldn't sound so strong if it were. I think one or both tracks of his singing has some sort of effect on it...some kinda reverb or resonance effect I guess. I doubt that it's a whisper though.