I know that it is all in the ear of the listener...

Episode 666

Mr.Nonesense
Dec 3, 2001
www.freewebs.com
But howw can anyone vote of The Night and the Silent Water?!?!?

Ok... Firt i have to say that yes this might be my favourit Opeth Song Ever, everything is so perfect and emotional about it, and if you know that Mikael Wrote it when his Grandfather pased on, it becomes even more powerful. The acustic (sp) part at 3:30ish is one of the most Beautiful pice ever, and then the buildup with the acustic guitars at 7:30... oooh...

And then the whispering of "You sleep in the night yet the night and the silent water still so dark"...and the guitarriff under that.. GAH! Goosebumps everytime!

That's my take... you who dislike it, what is it you dislike... just wanna know...

And yes i know i shouldn't take this os seriously, but when a song like this that really moves me this way it really hurts (Yes hurts) me to see ppl dissing it...

PS, anyone know why Milael and peter (i think) Dislike this song?

My problem isn't the music itself, it has some of the best stuff in it, I more have a problem with the vocal structure of the song, the lyrics are clunky and seem as if they they were thrown in as an afterthought, some sentences need to be shortened and then they may fit properly, but that's just my opinion:)

Mike dislikes the song because it was written for his grandfather who had recently passed away, as you mentioned.

I agree with you, I personally find this song to be beautiful and emotional. I certainly didn't vote for it, I adore it even more-so than Advent.

Its my favorite song on Morningrise and one of my favorites in general. There are some great things on it, the almost inaudible tapping of the high hat, the slow beating of the tom's building up to the bass pedaling, I find it all amazing. Oh well.

That acoustic part at 3:30 or whatever...
"Am I like them?
Those who mourn and turn away
Those who would give anything to see you again
If only for another second"
that section is absolutely beautiful.

Because, as you said, it's all in the ear of the listener. I find that song very droning and boring actually.. for a brief while the end did something for me, but I just got sick of the fact that it climaxed and went nowhere, just back to an acoustic fadeout. The music itself, in comparison to alot of Opeth stuff, isn't all that great.. and alot of those riffs sound really sluggish... like a really ugly distorted ballad. It just sounds like it was put together really fast, especially alot of the lyric parts. But even though that is so, its saving grace is that alot of people buy into a song thats praised as being based on sadness, with tons of soft parts and alot of dragged out other parts that are 'emotional' purely due to their droning nature.

I think Advent is still my favourite track on Morningrise, followed by BRI, which also seems to suffer from the 'start-buildup-climax-stop-start-buildup-climax' syndrome.

I totally love the song's medieval-sounding riffs. The first time I heard the song I immediately got images of castles in my head. I think I also like it because it's the most songlike song on Morningrise.

Oh, this thread is about what you don't like about it, so I should at least say something. Well, some of the singing bugs me a little. Like the off-key bits in the first acoustic part. And that "autumn shrouuuu.......ds" thing, what the hell is that. I guess that's not very much.