Is it possible to have an amp refurbished?

LosingReality

Oct 6, 2007
Columbus GA
K, so i have an EVH 5150 which is pretty old. It works fine so far, i just bought it not too long ago.

What i wanna know is....is it possible to refurb the thing? Say replace all the parts that might go bad? IF so, how much would work like this go for?

Thanks!

FJA does mods on those kinds of amps, and also repairs. Downside is you'll have to package it and send it via UPS or something like that. Although, good amp techs are hard to find these days, I'd say go with these guys.
www.fjamods.com

K, so i have an EVH 5150 which is pretty old. It works fine so far, i just bought it not too long ago.

What i wanna know is....is it possible to refurb the thing? Say replace all the parts that might go bad? IF so, how much would work like this go for?

Thanks!

What is "Pretty Old"?

5150's are not old enough to be considered ready to be refurb'd. if you're having a problem, then get it fixed. probably the only thing to consider are tubes, biasing and filter caps.

Bias mod....or leave it alone if it isn't broken.
If there is something you don't like about it maybe it isn't for you...or you could get a mod that might change whatever characteristic it is that you don't like.

My block letter 5150 was built in 1992 and has only ever been re-tubed. It's been a tank. Kept it as clean ( jacks and pots ) as I could as it has been a gigging amp and it has been awesome. If there is some characteristic that you're not diggin' remember there are a whole lot of things that influence tone...big ones like speakers, pedals ( and players! ) and not as big ones like choice of picks and cabinet construction...the quest is never ending...an amp mod may be just the thing to make it your dream amp. Or not at all...

IIRC the bias mod allows the power tubes to be run hotter (they are biased very low and thus 'cold' from the factory). It'll open out the amp a heck of a lot.