is it possible...

KeithTidd

Robot Penis.
Apr 26, 2008
Vallejo, CA
www.myspace.com
to uses different tube variations in a 5150? I have a combo and i need to buy a new pair of power tubes, and i'm looking at tubes thinking can i put any variation of 6l6 into a 5150? Are 5881's the same thing as 6l6gc? should i just put some plain old 6l6gc's in there? I just hear alot of hype about KT tubes (kt88s and whatnot, apparently kt66 is a 6l6 variation). I'm probably just buying into forum hype, but is it possible to do? I was using ruby 6l6gc's before one of them died.

also what brand should i go with? the ruby's were alright but i'd be willing to try something different.

You can install KT66's in the 5150. One of the guys rehearsing at my studio has one of his 5150 Mk1's set up in the fashion with 2 KT66's in the power stage. However he does say that it goes nowhere near as loud as his main head which uses regular tubes but he had that one properly biased and set up. It's always worth getting your 5150 properly biased though. Apparently they're under-biased when they leave the factory.