Is "Lethe" most fans' gateway song to DT?

batmura

Sea of Tranquility
Nov 1, 2001
www.seaoftranquility.org
First off, I absolutely love this song. Mind you, I did not discover DT with this one, but I've always felt that this track, especially Stanne's vocals, is pure, undaldulterated emotion.

Anyway, I was just reading a forum on another site about DT going to play a gig there soon and everyone was posting about how they should include "Lethe" in the setlist and whatnot. So I was curious. Is this track like the greatest melo-death song ever to the average DT fan?

Thoughts?

In a poll we had here Lethe did win as best DT song, but I don't think it's a gateway track like you suggest. It's probably more of an acquired taste than Punish My Heaven, for instance, but since it's an old emotional song, many fans have had a chance to acquire that taste at some point.

I wouldn't describe the forum people as "average DT fans", so i'm not sure how much our taste matters in regard to the original question. I agree that the average DT fan would think of Punish My Heaven as the best melo-death song ever, but PMH gets included in most setlists, so it wouldn't make much sense for people to start asking for it.

Although the Gallery, to me, is their unquestionable (under pain of death and mudkipz) masterpiece, and Lethe maybe the best song on that album (Edenspring, anyone?), the song that got me into them back in the day was Of Chaos and Eternal Night.

Lethe live would be sex, though.

Although the Gallery, to me, is their unquestionable (under pain of death and mudkipz) masterpiece, and Lethe maybe the best song on that album (Edenspring, anyone?), the song that got me into them back in the day was Of Chaos and Eternal Night.

Lethe live would be sex, though.

They play it live but instead of the bass intro they use keyboards. I agree that the bass intro live would be sex though. :loco:

I think Lost To Apathy was the DT song for me, just a brilliant song.

For some reason, I find The Gallery to be too... rough, especially Stanne's vocals. I do like Silence, And The Firmament Withdrew, but The Mind's I for me is the better album. I never quite understood the brilliance of The Gallery. Maybe this is because I started listening to DT during the Character.... era?

The first album I heard from Dark Tranquillity was Mind's I and at that time the song that really struck me was Hedon, but the whole album was incredible. Then I got my hands on The Gallery... and... oh my god! Every song in there is a potential gateway. Punish My Heaven is the best song I've ever heard in my entire life, followed by Edenspring. Lethe is an incredible song, but I don't think that it rappresents well all Dark Tranquillity's style facets.

Am I going to see Edenspring live before I die? :cry:

Lethe is absolutely epic, there was (and may still be) a clip of it from 1997 on youtube and it's one of the best live performances of a song I have ever seen.

I didn't really have a 'gateway song' to DT... I bought Damage Done after hearing they were a fantastic band in the mould of In Flames and was blown away by the entire album.

There In:rolleyes:
Lethe is awesom, but it is my point that There In
Hello to every one, I am Carey from Russia :kickass:

Well, if by gateway song, you mean a song that a casual fan would hear and would catch their attention right away and make them think "thats a pretty good song I want to hear more", I would say

punish my heaven (past)
lost to apathy (present)

Lethe is absolutely epic, there was (and may still be) a clip of it from 1997 on youtube and it's one of the best live performances of a song I have ever seen.

if we're talking about the same clip, it was taken from a Germany concert. that's also one of the best performances i've ever seen; how Mikael is in the song, how he lives it when singing, is admirable. shuddering.

i also remember that, close to the end of the song, Mikael was tangled by the microphone cables. it was fun to watch him trying to get rid of the cables :D

back to the topic: it was Rundown for me, even though i didn't hear the whole song. i had just heard the opening of it, then i thought it was better than anything i had heard before. in following weeks i bought Haven and i started my DT career :cool:

3 years were going to pass until i hear Lethe, and the whole The Gallery album!!!