Is Megadeth Speed metal or Thrash?

Halberd3

Sep 7, 2016
Recently saw a poster floating along on amazon. Reading out "Megadeth- The world's state-of-the-art speed metal band. Honestly it made me think. Does Dave think of Megadeth as speed metal band? Does his fanbase consider them speed metal over thrash? Honestly it confuses me. Does anyone know?

Well, I personally consider them thrash metal, I'd say that Killing Is My Business may bear some resemblance to speed metal but outside of that... nah.

Well, I personally consider them thrash metal, I'd say that Killing Is My Business may bear some resemblance to speed metal but outside of that... nah.
What elements would make them speed metal though? Well on Killing is my business.

Well, I feel like this album was one of those which were not entirely Thrash yet and speed was a crucial element of their music, which was not the case in the following albums imo. I feel like speed metal is kind of a forced genre of metal tbh as a lot of the bands considered speed metal tend to fall in the categories of either thrash or nwobhm, and the boundaries between those three are a little bit blurred.

Well, I feel like this album was one of those which were not entirely Thrash yet and speed was a crucial element of their music, which was not the case in the following albums imo. I feel like speed metal is kind of a forced genre of metal tbh as a lot of the bands considered speed metal tend to fall in the categories of either thrash or nwobhm, and the boundaries between those three are a little bit blurred.
Yeah it seems to be. I think so as well, if I had to guess if there's a difference between thrash and speed it might just be harmonics or drum patterns maybe (shrug)

The chuggishness, classicism versus bluesiness, and rhythmic undulations are generally what set them apart. Speed metal is best defined as what Motörhead invented with the title track to Overkill. Fast paced, breakneck, no breakdown, usually blues-inflected, borderline if not completely chugless, extreme metal with a usually at least slightly gritty vocalist. Thrash is more prone to chuggier rhythms, breakdowns, often favors classicism to blues influence, and has a bit more "unka chunk" to its beat so to speak. Thrash also has the ability to be a lot more techy, whereas speed is generally relegated to a punk rock esque simplification reflective of its creation by Motörhead. Not to say it's too simple, it's still got the generally higher technicality characteristic of most metal, but it never gets proggy or even as high brow as some of Megadeth's more challenging stuff.

Megadeth is almost strictly thrash. Though, as mentioned, their very early material has some speed metal and speed metal predilections on it.

The chuggishness, classicism versus bluesiness, and rhythmic undulations are generally what set them apart. Speed metal is best defined as what Motörhead invented with the title track to Overkill. Fast paced, breakneck, no breakdown, usually blues-inflected, borderline if not completely chugless, extreme metal with a usually at least slightly gritty vocalist. Thrash is more prone to chuggier rhythms, breakdowns, often favors classicism to blues influence, and has a bit more "unka chunk" to its beat so to speak. Thrash also has the ability to be a lot more techy, whereas speed is generally relegated to a punk rock esque simplification reflective of its creation by Motörhead. Not to say it's too simple, it's still got the generally higher technicality characteristic of most metal, but it never gets proggy or even as high brow as some of Megadeth's more challenging stuff.
How about palm muting? Is that very common in speed metal?

I have never really understood why many people classify Rust In Peace as speed metal? I have always thought of it as a pure thrash album with some heavy metal elements

Reactions: H.P. Lovecraft
I have never really understood why many people classify Rust In Peace as speed metal? I have always thought of it as a pure thrash album with some heavy metal elements
Never heard Rust In Peace called speed metal outside of perhaps some doldrum twits on VH1. For sure a thrash/tech thrash album.

Speed metal:

Motörhead
Judas Priest
Exciter
Razor
Anvil
Accept
Annihilator

Thrash metal:

Megadeth
Metallica
Antrhax
Slayer
Sodom
Destruction
The Who
Kreator

I will add that thrash metal seems to be more rhythmically complex, vocally harsher, and more politically charged than speed metal, which is more melodic. You could consider bands like Motörhead speed metal. They aren't really of a distinct genre, but their music is faster than regular heavy metal. The same goes for Judas Preist, especially the Painkiller album. Speed metal also tends to have more minor scale elements typical of early 80s shred stuff, and the songs are often rebellious metal anthems.

It does get a bit blurry, with bands like Anthrax, Annihilator, and later Razor, though.