is melodic death metal ready for the mainstream?

yes....Melodic death is ready for the mainstream...unfortunately all it is now is melodic (sans the "death" part).

It is now candy-coated pop melodies mixed with hardcore like screaming and poppy clean vocals (i.e. the new album that Soilwork shit on the world). It's very very sad...

It disgusts me, actually, that all of a sudden these bands would switch over to this radio friendly "hard rock with yelling" style...

and the new Arch Enemy bores me to tears....Cool solos, rehashes melodic rock/thrash riffs, with sharlee and Angela strutting around like retarded highschoolers. And their whole marketing campaign hasn't had ANYTHING to do with the music, but rather "Arch Enemy- Yes We Have a Chick Singer and She's Hot", neglecting to mention the fact that the music is a modern take on the brainless, candy-coated metal of the 80's Arenas.

The Haunted= Another fine example.

The almighty buck wins every time.

In Flames: won't even go there...if thats melodic death, then me playing two note trem riffs in my bedroom is Emperor....

And lets not forget Hypocrisy, who recently displayed two of their new "songs", nay, atrocities, to an unbelieving LA crowd....seeing Tagtren screaming "IM JUST A PUBLIC PUPPET, PUBLIC PUPPET, YEAH!" made me almost ashamed to like metal, a feeling which I treated with hours upon hours of raw Finnish black metal...

I can't speak for In Flames or other melodic death bands... but Arch Enemy are keeping to their sound... I happen to like the new singer better than the old (and no not because she's a hot blonde, she actually has vocal talent). I think that as long as they stay true to the music they wish to create then it's fine.. they can use some extra money I'm sure. However if they change their sound simply to appeal to the masses... that's crossing the line.

I don't think the mainstream audience would appreciate these bands however... so this spotlight won't last long I believe. I've let my friends that listen to MTV metal have a listen to some of my CDs and they can't get over either the vocal style or intensity of the music. That's my 2 cents.

Given the state of the world, unless we have a global holacast...none of these bands...including a band like Opeth will ever appeal to the mainstream.

And no, I can't be assed checking my spelling of holacast.

I don't think it can ever be, because the majority of people will never be able to understand it. It would be like asking if some complicated text manual will ever become a best-seller.

I'm sure that melodic death won't make it mainstream. I say just cause old Death metal bands are making it mainstream doesn't mean that there music is still the same. You know what I mean?

In Flames for example, Clayman I don't consider that death metal anymore, I mean it's too laid back it's not balls to the wall anymore. It's more of this pussy ass thing that the record lable made them make.

Even if you've been playing for a long time you run out of . . .

Well sorry to break off in the middle of my thought but I have to pick up my Dad :cry: .

:lol: @Opth_001

I don't think that any death metal vocals will be widely accepted. People that have a genuine love for music will look deeper than what is in the charts if they what to find genuine groups of any genre and I cannot really see that happening.

Originally posted by Opth_001
I'm sure that melodic death won't make it mainstream. I say just cause old Death metal bands are making it mainstream doesn't mean that there music is still the same. You know what I mean?

In Flames for example, Clayman I don't consider that death metal anymore, I mean it's too laid back it's not balls to the wall anymore. It's more of this pussy ass thing that the record lable made them make.

Even if you've been playing for a long time you run out of . . .

ideas. Or at least don't come up with them as quick as record lables' would like them too.

So here I stand saying that record labels are the down fall of music. Even thought they are the ones who make groups known all around the world.

p.s I can't wait for opeth new album to come out :) .

If it is, it will be short lived. Remember in the early 90s when Sepultura, Entombed, and Carcass got major label deals and got some decent exposure? That didn't last long, thankfully. I liked the material they put out at that time, but I didn't like the fact that they were on big labels.

Besides, extreme metal of any kind is such an exclusive club. You don't hear trendy fools hanging out at bars wearing their GAP clothes drinking their Budweiser searching for tail talking about how passionate Bleak from the new Opeth is. :)

The closest thing that I have seen to death metal making it to the mainstream is the new System of a Down. Now, don't crucify me for saying this, because I am NOT calling them death metal of any sort. But if any metalhead (not a NU-"metal"head) listens to it, they will find a TON of death metal influences, especially the drumming. I have had friends that call that album brilliant and I say "damn, I have about 50 death metal CDs from 10 years ago that were doing the same thing!"

its not gonna go heavy mainstream. if it does, who gives a shit. if its popular, good for the bands... they have achieved something. Do you guys listen to music because its underground or do you listen to music because of the MUSIC! just because some poser fags will like the music doesnt change the music itself. get your head out of your ass people.

I don't have a problem with lots of people listening to my bands, I just know that if any death metal gets extremely popular, it will probably not be for the right reasons. The masses will not listen to Hypocrisy for their passion or technical ability, they will listen to it because "that one :30 second part sounds really cool!" That was my point. But yes, I do like it when a good band gets some recognition for it with regards to ca$h, then they can put out more music. :)

Then again, if it didn't sound cool, I guess I wouldn't listen to any of this stuff anyhow... but my reason for appreciating it still remains that it has passion and technical ability. Hmmmm... thanks a lot Sonic Monkey Guy, you've confused me now!!!

Hahahahahaha...

I hope it does well. I doubt you'll see melodic death metal bands bumping off the Creeds and Nickelbacks for radio time, but if they got as popular as say a Fear Factory or a Soulfly, that would be just peachy. One thing that can be definitely be reaped (and this has been mentioned) is easier access to the material. Granted chains like fye or Tower charge out the wazoo for CDs, but the Hot Topics and the Best Buys would carry them too, methinks. Plus, they could shoot more videos. I really like Uranium (on MuchMusic USA) and M2's Extreme Rock show, but they are hurting for good videos simply because not too many metal bands make them. Such a shame.

On that note, I'm with SentencedtoBurn (aka Sonic Death Monkey). I listen to underground bands because they're good. By the same token, I listen to some not-so-underground bands because they're good. Whatever pleases me is the will of the law, so to speak.

One last thing: Regardless of how well melodeath does, I don't think Opeth will reap those rewards. Not radio friendly, not M2 friendly enough. But that's ok with me.

Originally posted by NAD
I don't have a problem with lots of people listening to my bands, I just know that if any death metal gets extremely popular, it will probably not be for the right reasons. The masses will not listen to Hypocrisy for their passion or technical ability, they will listen to it because "that one :30 second part sounds really cool!" That was my point. But yes, I do like it when a good band gets some recognition for it with regards to ca$h, then they can put out more music. :)

Then again, if it didn't sound cool, I guess I wouldn't listen to any of this stuff anyhow... but my reason for appreciating it still remains that it has passion and technical ability. Hmmmm... thanks a lot Sonic Monkey Guy, you've confused me now!!!

Hahahahahaha...
Well I certainly DON'T listen to a band for their technical ability. I listen to music for the music itself, not for the people behind the music.
I guess if Melodeath bands hit the mainstream, it will be like with heavy rock/nu metal: There will be a lot of worthless copies and some quality bands that will stay more "underground" anyway. Well, as long as there are good Melodic Death bands out there, I couldn't care less if the genre becomes more popular or not.

Things like inflames and new soilwork are the ones that have a shoot at mainstream. However the new soilwork is not "death" at all is just plain melodic metal. The new inflames barely has the metal on it, but is far from being melodic death. The only band that resembles melodic death metal today is Dark Tranquillity and their new stuff is just too prog for mainstream.

Arch Enemy are death but the melodic part is not as strong and it does sound 80ish but once everyone gets used to angela they will be a typical band. Then again people said the same thing about gathering or Lacuna Coil...

Nevertheless, if this bands make it i would like to called melodic death metal influenced at much, or melodic music/metal wich would be more likely

Originally posted by mindflesh
There will be a lot of worthless copies

There already ARE! In 1999 this style was over-friggin-saturated! Three years later it's still around? ARGH.

Soilwork's new album is the only one of theirs I like.

Their previous albums make me want to listen to At the Gates.

I have never heard anything like In Flames (new or old) on mainstream alternative radio. I don't think I will any time soon. There are 3 things I DONT find on the radio: (1) anything even slightly progressive. The dumb masses can't stand prog, and especially cant stand a song longer than 5 minutes. (2) guitar solos, or least GOOD solos (3) growling vocals.

Number 3 is a bit tricky since there are popular bands like Slipknot and Mudvayne that are on hard rock stations, but for the most part true.

Despite being more melodic there is still a huge gap between the new Soilwork and In Flames and the Staind, Creed, Nickelcreed, group and even the Mudvayne, Slipknot, etc group.

Personally, I like both the In Flames and Soilwork ablums. Melody (aka sounds good) isn't a bad thing!