is melodic death metal ready for the mainstream?

Perhaps Porcupine Tree signing to Atlantic (I think?), will help others make the connection to Opeth? I'm hoping this new set of cds will be as groundbreaking as say Zeppelin's Physical Grafitti... It can happen... People who hate the "deathmetal vocals" will LOVE the clean cd etc... I cant wait to hear it!!
My guitarist says they play Opeth in the background of the Tom Leykis Show- I dunno if thats true- but if it is- MORE POWER TO THEM.

Sadistik, clean vocals does not a bad album make. In my opinion, the band has retained their edge, while expanding their sound, and creating a very original, catchy album that really stands out from the crowd.

The new Soilwork is by far the best thing they've ever put out, IMO.

I can't see it happening. I mean, look at the rock stuff people listen to today. It's much more simple than Melodic Death. The lyrics are more basic, the riffs are more basic, the vocals are cleaner. It just doesn't make sense to go from that to something like Melodic Death as quickly as that.
Personally, i don't know what it is, but i prefer to keep my music to myself and not let any of my friends in on it. You know why? I know they won't appreciate it for what it is, if they appreciate it at all. For example, yesterday i got my friend to download The Funeral Portrait. He said it was pathetic. Of course, he was talking about the vocals and it took me some time to get into them too so that's probably a bad example, but my point is i don't think people will give it the appreciation it deserves.
Not only that, the general feeling around where i live is RnB and Hip-Hop. Most people i know hate anything with guitars in it. They hear a guitar and say "eww! turn it off!", seriously.
Melodic Death Metal is a long way from mainstream.

Originally posted by Misanthrope
Everyone is into new soilwork because we are not close minded idiots, soilwork clearly improved their sound and yea they changed it a bit, nothing wrong with that.

well, my not liking it doesn't mean I'm a close minded idiot....you know I listen to a wide variety of music....it means I just don't think it is any good....and their live performance was horrifyin in how much they sounded like Pantera on stage...

Originally posted by Skull_Punk
One thing that can be definitely be reaped (and this has been mentioned) is easier access to the material.
Easier to find stuff if you know what you're looking for. But if the style is more popular that means you get a bunch of people immitating and producing crap and getting popular for it, therefore it would be so much harder to find good bands.

You know what i like at the moment? i can come on to a board like this and ask "what are some good bands in the *** genre" and ill be told who the best bands are. If the metal genre's become popular then asking the question will get a whole bunch of people who like music for completely different reasons than 90% of metal is based on, therefore you'd get a bunch of bands mentioned that were just lucky enough to get a record deal and have a good production, or something.

The good thing about metal is, if you wanna be in it then your in it for the music. If you suck you arent going to be noticed by metal labels, if you dont have something unique and interesting to show the world you wont make it, if your lazy and just want to strum a couple of chords you'll never be able to get all the work done that it takes to make a self-funded album or something. The only underground metal bands who get somewhere started off doing it for the music, some may have slightly changed their aims once money was waved in their faces (though i still see integrity in most of the bands) but at least they are musicians originally. If it becomes any more popular this whole set up will change and thats why you'll get clones and people who know nothing about music and arent really in it for the music, and that will be a bad thing, because they are the ones that will get popular.

If i find someone who's into bands like opeth then already theres a huge chance im going to like them. Why? because to like opeth for example, you pretty much have to be:
1. open minded enough to accept death vocals and heavy music
2. open minded enough to love music that isnt extreme

I wouldnt want that to change, i wouldnt want people wearing tshirts of opeth just because they heard one riff that sounded like the latest In Flames rip off CD.

For the metal to become more popular would have negative effects on my life, but i wouldnt stop listening to the music because it was popular.

Having said all that, it wont become too popular because most of it still isnt lyric based, most of it still isnt verse-chorus-verse based. Its these things that would make it popular, and In Flames are the band i see with the most of these things and therefore the biggest chance of getting popular. I dont think this will affect anything, anything slightly more complex wont get much attention and in the end the metal elitists will get a new name for the underground melodic stuff and everything would be cool.

:)

Melodic DM is prepared for the mainstream but im shure it will never happend ... no decent record label would ever have the stregth to make it that way ... as we alll know the world is dominated by the big labels and they tell people what to hear...what to like...and what to buy...
But for MDM bands that have that potencial that would be Soilwork and In Flames

Another thing that i think is stupid are comments like #oh no...then everybody would hear it...all those idiots at school# ... please ... you are being so selfish and #true# ... some people just think metal is only theirs and they are the only who have the right to hear it ...well we are always complaining about metal being away form radio, tv ... and complayning about numetal and so on ... and then when it has a chance some go #oh now it will become a trend blablabla# ... we just have to let things flow and see what happens ... im not gonna stop listening to bands i like just cause they might become mainstream..

Originally posted by Opethfan1980
Yes. And that's just sad.

Any band, anywhere wants to reach as many people as possible. For money, fame, egos, or whatever. Who wouldn't? Are you saying that if you made what you thought was a kickass metal album, you wouldn't want it played on MTV? That the 10 fans you already have are enough?

Should Soilwork say "Don't request out videos on MTV because we don't want to look like we are trying to become more popular?" thats insane.

Originally posted by Sadistik

well, my not liking it doesn't mean I'm a close minded idiot....you know I listen to a wide variety of music....it means I just don't think it is any good....and their live performance was horrifyin in how much they sounded like Pantera on stage...

well

a) Dont do good things that look bad ( your whole attitute looked close minded, cant you blame us for thinking that ? )

b) huh? im sorry but from all the live bootlegs i hear they sound like they really put an efford to stay close to the originals. Unless that is what you meant i dont get it.

the stupidest thing ever is when people hate another band because it sounds similar to an older band. ex grudges against soilwork and inflames because they sound like arch enemy.

well if you follow this reasoning, then i guess you also think that beethoven, chopin, debussy, etc. suck because they kinda sound like mozart or bach.

Originally posted by Infinite Reach

Any band, anywhere wants to reach as many people as possible. For money, fame, egos, or whatever. Who wouldn't? Are you saying that if you made what you thought was a kickass metal album, you wouldn't want it played on MTV? That the 10 fans you already have are enough?

Should Soilwork say "Don't request out videos on MTV because we don't want to look like we are trying to become more popular?" thats insane.

mtv is the wrong way to go about it. i would want to get big yes but to a certain extent and that would be in the metal community, not the god damn pop shit. And there are bands that dont want to be on mtv actually bands that would prefer it that way, not all bands are out there for that whole fame issue and money. id just like to live comfortably would be all. Soilwork shouldnt even have their videos on mtv so they shouldnt say dont request our videos.

Death metal in the mainstream is its demise.

Originally posted by CladInDarkness

mtv is the wrong way to go about it. i would want to get big yes but to a certain extent and that would be in the metal community, not the god damn pop shit. And there are bands that dont want to be on mtv actually bands that would prefer it that way, not all bands are out there for that whole fame issue and money. id just like to live comfortably would be all. Soilwork shouldnt even have their videos on mtv so they shouldnt say dont request our videos.

Death metal in the mainstream is its demise.

To me, there is no right or wrong way to gain exposure. If people take notice of a band be it by word of mouth or MTV, more powerto them! Fuck this Elitist mentality that says "If you want your band to succeed and reach more than the few 100,000 underground metallers, you must be a sellout"- thats just retarded. If wanting to be successful means pissing a few of your so called "fans" off- sign me the fuck up! If the fans were with you when you started, then they should be there when you reach that next plateau... Opeth on TRL!!! Bring it on MTV!!!!

Originally posted by OneFootBlaster

To me, there is no right or wrong way to gain exposure. If people take notice of a band be it by word of mouth or MTV, more powerto them! Fuck this Elitist mentality that says "If you want your band to succeed and reach more than the few 100,000 underground metallers, you must be a sellout"- thats just retarded. If wanting to be successful means pissing a few of your so called "fans" off- sign me the fuck up! If the fans were with you when you started, then they should be there when you reach that next plateau... Opeth on TRL!!! Bring it on MTV!!!!

great i get to see a bunch of korn and limp bizkit fans running around with opeth shirts saying opeth is fucking dope man, what a wonderful world it would be. sure opeth would be happy with the millions of dollars, but who says theyre not happy now? and it wont hurt mtv mtv will still be mtv making money opeth will be a fad just like brittany motherfucking spears right mtv will make money off of opeth just like they make money off of spears bsb nsync and whoever the fuck. now we just have to deal with all these idiotic fuckers running around. plus opeth is much bigger in their hometown as many others in their own, just not as much as in america. take dimmu, fucking dimmu was up for a grammy, just not in america

take it from mortiis

"What ever does any trendy UK or American kid know about people they never even met??? "