Is reamping the same guitar track twice as good as doing 2 takes?

X14Halo

May 28, 2010
If I re-amp a dry signal with 2 different sets of amps/cabs, and pan one L and one R, will that give me as full of a sound as doing 2 completely separate takes on guitar? Is it a normal thing to do?

So basically then the rhythm guitarist needs to be solid enough to nail the performance EXACTLY the same twice, correct? What about leads? I know that you should put the lead at center, but I have heard of people splitting it like 30% left and right. What do you do in this case since it's impossible to do 2 takes on a solo?

So basically then the rhythm guitarist needs to be solid enough to nail the performance EXACTLY the same twice, correct? What about leads? I know that you should put the lead at center, but I have heard of people splitting it like 30% left and right. What do you do in this case since it's impossible to do 2 takes on a solo?

You sound like this sounds crazy to you?

Yes, if you are a guitarist and you go into a studio you are expected to be able to play the same part twice as tight as possible. And its not impossible to do 2 takes on a solo? Dimebag Darrell double tracked all his solos among many others.

If they are not tight enough to play them in sync then they really shouldn't be playing those parts.

If all else fails, edit the shit out of it (although the sound is undesirable).

Also google "double tracking", its even pretty common to quad track guitars.

You need to do 2 takes if you want to get a full sound. You can change the amps around for each take, but 2 different takes is what you need. Its going to sound a lot better if you do it that way.

you need two different takes, otherwise the entire thing will sound bad and robotic. if you don't believe me, try duplicating a reamped signal and EQ it differently then pan them hard left right. it's like a choir, if you have 250 people singing something together it's going to sound HUGE, but if you have the same guy singing the exact same thing 250 times it's just going to sound weird. basically, the tiny variations and "errors" that come with doing two takes are the things that are gonna make the stuff sound huge. musically tight is not perfect digital sync-lock tight.

Its when your rhythm guitarist is so tight that you can't tell its to seperate takes and both signals come through with some weird mono effect...

Well, his leads are not quite on faster side, are they...

slower melodies - could benefit from double tracking
fast alternate/legato/etc. - hardly beneficial

Dual tracking rythms is a must!
Depends on the sound you want and the style, quadtracking could be cool, bands like Rammstein sometimes
use dozens of tracks, the lead player in my old death metal band could double track almost all his leads, did
it on a few songs, Dimebag did it, Randy Rhoads afaik, too.
But basically for a at least decent metal guitar sound, two rythm tracks that are tight and hardpanned and
one track of leads in the middle are average things.