Is Sepultura-Roorback worth buying?

Didn't you say in another thread that the Derrick stuff was their best stuff so far??? :guh:
What the fuck? I never said that. I said Sepultura now with Derrick Green is better than Soulfly.

That could have been me you were thinking about. =) Hehe, although I don't think it's their 'best' stuff so to speak, its just what I enjoy most of Sepultura. Never been a big fan anyway.

Beneath the Remains and Arise are all I listen to from them. Chaos A.D. got old after awhile for me. Everything since sucked.

~From someone who's already bought the album let me tell you about it. Since Max left the band has moved away from the Korn influence that Max started with Roots and continues with Stirfry, but they didn't quite return to the deathrash style, (although some of their songs still sound that way).

~Against was an ok album, proved Derrick was a good "throat", had a lot of hardcore vibe and some interesting Japanese drumming from Kodo.

~Nation took the direction of Against and added more melody and brazilian instrumentation, reminded me of a more heavy but still melodic Faith No More sound because of the variety. Derrick does some very impressive vocals and Andreas even returns to some good guitar solos. Also the finale with Apocalyptica is amazing.

~Roorback on it's own is a more stripped down sound. No unnamable instruments, no across continent musical bondings. It's just guitars and drums. That might have been the better direction but on first listen the hooks are fewer than Nation, and the band doesn't really expand on any direction that they've undertaken. At face value it seems to be just a more hardcore version of Chaos AD. Why are we calling the post-Max era hardcore? Because the old familiar riffage is gone and there's really nothing that takes it's place imo. If you do decide to get the album hoever make sure you get the double disc set that includes Revolusongs. It has a the lads covering a few songs which aren't bad, but the best on it is their version of Exodus' Pirahna.

~I'd be lying if I said that I didn't miss their thrashier stuff though. To me the order is thus as I have the remastered/extended versions of the first 5 albums,...

-Beneath the Remains
-Arise
-Schizophrenia
-Morbid Visions/Bestial Devastation
-Nation
-Roots
-Chaos AD
-Roorback+Revolusongs
-Against
-Tribus EP
-Under a Pale Grey Sky (live)
-Blood Rooted (some rare and unreleased junk)

I have mixed feelings about Against. I love some of the songs but some of it I just found it to be really bland and it sounded forced. Interesting mix of tribal music, hardcore, and heavy metal. "Rumors" is a badass, feel it down to the gut heavy metal. "Floaters In Mud" has this addictive tribal drum intro. Derrick Green is really into hardcore so you can see he brings that into the music. He has good range and this awesome roar. Everyone should give him a chance, it's not easy filling in for being the vocalist for Sepultura in place of Max Cavalera you know.

Nation was bland. It had some tribal music in there but not as much as Against. It was pretty much hardcore/ heavy metal (some). I loved a few songs on there especially "Sepulnation" cause its so bloody catchy and that song with Apocalyptica is pretty moving.