Is Seventh Son anyone else's fave?

lol - man nothing beats the icy solitary atmosphere of 7th Son.

I choose the comic book, clean, futuristic feel of Powerslave, 7th son...etc...vs the gritty 70's slasher feel of the older artwork. It is definitely classic, but something about the artwork always turned me off. It looked like cheap airbrushing.

Sad that sometimes cover art (or band names even) leads to a bias in music listening.

Scott

SheisMySin said:
Sad that sometimes cover art (or band names even) leads to a bias in music listening.

This is actually a good point, because it holds true for a lot of people. I know that there have been plenty of stupid band names or album covers that prevented me from listening to the music for a while and that I now like a lot.

You would think so, but it's subconscious. Also, when you're so intune with a certain type of music and you come across a band that has an uncharacteristic name or album cover, you tend to have the idea in your head that it's not what you're looking for, and you simply move on.

Necuratul said:
You would think so, but it's subconscious. Also, when you're so intune with a certain type of music and you come across a band that has an uncharacteristic name or album cover, you tend to have the idea in your head that it's not what you're looking for, and you simply move on.

Yeah I've done that before. Aka MANOWAR :lol: :lol:

You don't remember the reaction you had when first seeing Metallica's new font and albumn cover after all those years they were away?

It's just music, but seeing a simple change in type automatically turned me off to their new sound.

You look at cover art like 7th Son, and it matches their horror fantasy futuristic sound. A lot of bands have that, and you get used to making the subconscious connection. Then when a band comes out with a crappy name or bad artwork, you just assume "ametuer" or something.

I dunno....like Mecuratul said - it's subconsicous.

Yeah it's quite interesting actually. Which covers properly illustrate an album's sound, and which don't.

For example, I think the To Mega Therion artwork sums up the eerie Celtic Frost sound to perfection. On the other hand, I think the Dance of Death artwork, while an ok concept, does not convey the granduer of the album due to it's tacky execution.

Seventh Son used to be my favorite for a looong time, but I listened to it so much that finally got tired of it. I still like it and listen to it every now and then, though. But now Piece of Mind is my favorite, then Powerslave, then Somewhere in Time, Killers, The Number of the Beast, and Seventh Son. But if we include live albums, then Beast Over Hammersmith is my favorite Maiden album, and sadly I don't own a real copy of it because the Eddie's Archive box set cost too damn much for me.

I have listened Maiden 7 years now.
And sometime get tired of theyr songs what they play on radio.
Like Trooper and run to the hills.
Cos I heard them like 100000 times.
So little pause is good. Until I see them live next time.:kickass:

I used to think The Trooper was over rated, but then I saw them play it live at Ozzfest last year, and they put so much energy into it. It was so damn good. Definetly in my top three Maiden songs now.